The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Jrob462

Problems priming 357

First off I'm not super familiar with forums and their rules and etiquette. Secondly I have been reloading 44 magnum for awhile and have really had no problems but I recently purchased a ruger sp101 and have saved up enough brass to try and start reloading. Here's the problem I either lost or my rock chucker didn't come with the large primer piece for the actual press so I've been using the hand priming tool to prime my 44's. For some reason the hand primer isn't working with my 357's. I've made sure I have the correct shell holder and am using the right parts for large pistol primer. I have ordered the part for my press but I'm still wanting to know if anyone has an answer as to why my hand priming tool won't work because I actually prefer using it. Oh and I have tried federal and Winchester brass and both did the same.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Don P

Welcome, 357 magnum case use small primers. In the future you may want to post reloading questions in the reloading section
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 24, 2018, 08:50 PM   #3
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
...and am using the right parts for large pistol primer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
357 magnum case use small [pistol] primers
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
(and the hand press needs to be set up for those small pistol primers as well....)
Old May 24, 2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Jrob462

Thanks and as I said I'm new to forums and reloading. I also could have swore I seen a reloading video that suggested large pistol primers for 357 mag. I do appreciate your timely response and I will certainly try to post in the appropriate location next time. Thanks again
Old May 24, 2018, 08:52 PM   #5
mehavey

(ps: I suggest Federal small pistol magnum primers)
Old May 24, 2018, 08:55 PM   #6
Jrob462

Thanks and I'm glad I didn't try to force them too much������
Old May 24, 2018, 08:57 PM   #7
mehavey

I also suggest THIS.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:02 PM   #8
5whiskey

As has been said, check out our reloading subforum for a wealth of knowledge. I have learned so much here personally, especially in the reloading section.

Yes, as has been said you need a small pistol primer. I have used federal small pistol magnum match primers for all of mine. Works really well for HS6 powder, which is what I've used for most of my 357 duties.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 24, 2018, 09:09 PM   #9
reddog81

It's best to get reloading data from published sources that have been checked and edited. The person doing the video probably knew small pistol primers were correct, but misspoke and said large.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:42 PM   #10
Mal H
Staff

Moved to the Reloading forum.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Metal god

Not to sound snarky but how did you not know they take SP primers ? Never take a guy on the internets advice with out double checking . Your manual ( any manual) is quite clear as to what size primers you need for 357 .

Sometimes switching calibers can get confusing so I recommend slowing down and get back to basics . Read every line in the load data . This will give you most if not all the info you need . COAL , trim length , primer size , bullet types , recommended powders , brass used etc .

It's important you get in good habits from the get go . In the future you will likely be loading for multiple cartridges and using multiple components in each of those cartridges . Never go off memory , you can start grabbing things by memory but always check your notes and the manual before you start loading anything . On more then one occasion I've thought I knew what a charge was suppose to be only to be proven wrong after looking at my notes .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 25, 2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:47 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

Welcome to The Firing Line Jrob462.

There is a tremendous amount of experience here on this forum from which to draw.

Make sure you read Metal God's post. He's a good guy and means everything he says respectfully - as do I.

Not to pile on, but knowing the correct primer size for 357 Mag is quite rudimentary. But you didn't try to force a large primer and that's encouraging. You knew something was wrong an let good sense kick in. Well done.

Please make sure you are reading and learning. Go slow. Question yourself - often. If you have any questions or curiosities, ask here. Get load manuals - I recommend Speer's for sure. Hornady is a good one too; as are others.

Take some time and never be in a hurry. Handloading is no craft for the impatient.

Load safe,
Nick.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Chainsaw.

RCBS will send you the primer set up free of charge if in fact it didnt come with one. Otherwise they are fairly inexpensive. Ive come to prefer priming on the press.

Mistakes happen. Just dont splode yer self please. Ask anything, as stated heaps of experience around here and plenty of opinions to boot.

Welcome to T.F.L.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:57 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

There's a lot you can learn here.

Please don't reload relying on what you remember from a video you saw!

Get a book. (More than one hurts nothing.) Something you can read and refer to WHILE you are reloading.

And remember that the powder charge data are guidelines, and results in your gun with your combination of components can be different, so start at the lower limit (or below - unless the powder you are using specifically says not to - there are some like that) and work up carefully, in small steps until you get the performance you want, or you reach the max listed load.

Good Luck, and be careful.

(and don't be afraid of asking what seems like stupid questions, we were all there, once...)
Old May 28, 2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

…And now that you are sorting this out, look at the primer pocket of one of your .44 cases next to that of a .357 case and I think you will see the difference right away. One important reason to get familiar with spotting the difference is there are a few cartridges out there, like .45 Auto, that are made with both large and small primer pockets and you want to separate them if you pick up both at the range.

As a quick check gauge for confirmation until your eyes get used to the difference, if you have a 3/16" drill bit you will find the shank slips into a large primer pocket but not into a small primer pocket.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 28, 2018, 10:45 AM   #16
mikld

A couple things I tell newer reloaders; pay no attention to any forum expert, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, good intentioned friend, range rat or gun shop guru when dealing with load data. Get your data from published reloading manuals (and proper primers are listed in each caliber section in your reloading manuals). Ignore any "information/hints/hacks" you see on youtube. If one must watch videos on reloading, find videos produced by equipment manufacturers or major vendors, not by an individual (there are a few good, truthful videos produced, but a new reloader may not be able to filter out Bubba's BS from factual videos).

Go slow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
Old May 28, 2018, 01:58 PM   #17
RC20

Welcome to the group, a bit of a rough introduction with a couple of mistakes (primers and where to post) - to most of us that is basic like breathing. We tend to make other obscure mistakes at times.

The good news is its probably impossible to get a primer to go boom with a hand press. Small pointed object and a good blow needed. I won't say impossible but maybe close to it.

The concern I have is lack of the basics as others mentioned and seemingly not having reloading books? Pistols is worse than rifle (my view) as the ability to go sideways with a double charge.

Now I will grant you I am not your ideal reloader, my bench looks like a Hurricane Harvey came through. But I am into details. No matter your personality, details are what makes a good reloader.

Frankly I would get an ABCs of reloading (Library if nothign else) and spend a few weeks reading through it and getting the overall picture.

Sure you can get data off the internet and some of it by bullet mfgs and powder mfgs is normally good, but mistakes are made.

There is nothing like having a Hornady, Lyman, Sierra manual to look at and they have all sorts of interesting other info, gun used, twist, PRIMERS!

I have all 3 and multiple copies of Horandy and Layman.

I don't do loads I don't have a cross reference for from another sources as a cross check that its a reasonable starting load and not a maximal hand smaker (pistor)

Tags
357 , hand priming tool