The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 21, 2018, 12:25 PM   #1
simonrichter

9mm Enhanced Barrier Round

Does anybody have ballistic data on the EBR that was seemingly developed along with Glocks entry to the MHS trials? Speaking of, do the Army or the Marines even consider using something other than plain and simple ball ammo in their handguns? It is somewhat odd imho that they put so much emphasis on handguns as such while at the same time using a round that is virtually ineffective even against a modest level of ballistic protection. Many other Armies worldwide use 9mm ball, of course, but there are few which make so much fuss about their sidearm, respectively...
Old May 22, 2018, 12:21 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...even consider using something other than..." Nothing but ball ammo is permitted for combat by the Rules of Land Warfare agreed upon during the assorted Hague Conventions. What is carried by MP's stationed on bases in the U.S. is irrelevant. Being a 'base cop' isn't combat.
"...make so much fuss about their sidearm..." Said 'fuss' comes primarily from civilians. Many of who have never worn a uniform.
It appears the term 'Enhanced Barrier Round' is a marketing term to get around calling it Armour Piercing. I'm not seeing any actual specs anywhere. Lots of discussion though.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Brit

Seems the constant round, for all Military Cops, the NATO Sub gun ammo. 125g all over the world. About 1200 fps. I have seen these rounds go through small English cars.
Old May 22, 2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The EBR is steel cored, therefore likely lighter and faster than hardball.
Is the jacket meant to peel off upon impact as the 'zine article implies? Who knows?
Old May 24, 2018, 07:10 AM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

That round would be prohibited armor piercing ammunition under U.S. law. That, plus the fact that it was a prototype ammo designed to work with a prototype that didn’t get selected makes me think you will have a difficult time finding anyone who has evaluated that ammo and can discuss it publicly.

I’m not sure what Federal was thinking with the steel tip. They’ve got to know that would be an administrative nightmare for the military due to federal law.
Old May 24, 2018, 01:20 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I don't think the Army has to comply with the law on pistol AP.
Old May 26, 2018, 03:33 AM   #7
simonrichter

Afaik the Hague Convention only prohibits expanding ammo, but it does not refer to whether a non-expanding bullet is lead- or steel-cored. Otherwise a lot of 5.56 ammo used by many NATO countries would be illegal in that respect...
Old May 26, 2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

The Army doesn’t have to comply with the federal law; but they would be plagued trying to keep the AP ammo from wandering in to the civilian market. That’s going to mean high levels of accountability for each round of pistol ammo, with all the subsequent “Private Schmuckatelli only has 16 rounds in his pistol. Everybody stop what you are doing and scour the immediate area until it is found.”