The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Beagle333

New Saeco

Got a new one today (new to me, that is). It's a Saeco, which I find to be wonderful molds and they always cast like a dream. You have to use the genuine Saeco handles, which are quite pricey, but you only need one set unless you really have a nice collection of Saeco molds. I only have about 3 or 4 of them.

This one is a .45 Colt mold, 255gr SWC, gas checked.
Normally I wouldn't use a GC mold for any .45 shooting, but I wanted to use these in my Rossi 92 and I really hate to clean any lead out of a rifle, so the GC should really lower the chances of that chore being required.

'Anybody else got anything happening from their pots and the beautiful silver stream this weekend? I think that before I can consider casting anything, I'm going to have to declare war on about a thousand red wasps that live in my casting shed now. I haven't been out there since April 6 (I know, because that was my last post showing any bullets) and the flying critters have been allowed to populate freely all summer. And a nice tin shed with several wooden shelves in it is pretty much the natural habitat of the American Red Wasp.

'Makes me itch and burn just thinkin' about it!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 23, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
zplinker

Nice molds, and I use several. If you go in that shed at night when the wasps are all on the nest, its easy to fog them with wasp killer....
Old September 23, 2017, 06:31 PM   #3
muzzleblast...

Nice mold. I wish SAECO would revive the old 5 cavity Cramers. Heavy, but cast beautifully.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:22 PM   #4
Dufus

I have some SAECO molds and a buddy gave me a SAECO lub-sizer. Like them all.

Those yellow jackets in your picture are about half the size of a Red one. I am not fond of any of them even if they do eat bugs. The fire ants have virtually eliminated the bumble bee, so they are not now a factor in the woods.