The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2009, 07:09 AM   #26
troy_mclure

nope i got charged. but they only charged $2 for the rest of the crap i ordered. im more than happy to pay it right now since i havent found any primers in a few weeks.
i bought 10k! lol
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 27, 2009, 09:16 AM   #27
HJ857

Quote:
T& T Reloading.....

good luck! they were shipping without hazmat!
Another thanks for the link. S&H charges added up to only $2.40 for 6k primers. Plus $22.50 hazmat. Pretty darn good at this point in history.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:19 AM   #28
A_Gamehog

They were not charging Hazmat

I just joined a few days ago, Glad I could help out guys. I loaded my first 30-06 round in 1971.

I posted this link in another post last week, guess some missed out. We need to have a better way to communicate this info like the moderator's first 3 posts and warnings, we could have a source of currently available shooting componets hedder also. Just my 2 cents..

Last year it was not charged, this year they started like everyone else. In the past I never paid Hazmat from them it was included with the orders, extra$$, now the prices are lower and you pay it.. They still have good stocks, join with some friends and get a good deal? In these times you need to get stock for shooting any way you can. Depending on your past local sources is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop, sooner or later it's going to get [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]y. By the end of summer they will all have good stock and this Y2K type scare will be over.

Remember if you order from the web, you only pay the Hazmat fee one time for up to 50 lbs an order. So for example, you and friends order 40 lbs of mixed powder, you pay a 22.00+ fee for the entire order. Plus the standard shipping (weight fees).

Good Luck!

http://www.shootguns.info/ammo.htm

This site has almost everyone in the business listed with Guns and Ammo and reloading..

Last edited by A_Gamehog; February 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:04 PM   #29
HJ857

My local shop is selling primers at 50 bucks a brick. Craziness.

A dedicated forum for listing in-stock items seems like a good idea, at least for right now when supplies are scarce.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #30
A_Gamehog

Tough times are here.....

"My local shop is selling primers at 50 bucks a brick. Craziness"

That's if you can find them!

The worst part is, you take your time, work up a load, then save your secret recipe, then you can't get the primers or powder of your go-to loads...you improvise and find similar componets that also do the job.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #31
Idaho_Elk_Huntr

your shops are raping you. My shop got a new order in. Fed, Winchester, CCI and Rem primers. lp, sp, lr,sr ad mag all $25 per thousand.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:28 PM   #32
CrustyFN

Quote:
Sorry about causing the shortages.
Doby I'll forgive you this time. Welcome to reloading.

Quote:
winchester243:
I for one welcome all the newb reloaders, despite the current shortages. I only see long-term good coming to both the reloading industry and to the "sport" of reloading as more people gain interest in it.
I couldn't agree more with that. The more growth we see the better off we will all be. Around me the local place has plenty of powder and primers the problem is they want $40 per 1,000 primers with no break for buying 5,000. That's hard to take when you can buy them on-line for around $18 per 1,000. Powder here is going for around $23 a pound.
Rusty
Old March 2, 2009, 01:57 AM   #33
zz28zz

T T Reloading certificate error

Hey everyone. This is my first posting on this site.
Just getting started in reloading and I'm anxious to find some SR primers like everyone else.

When I tried to place an order on the T&T Reloading site, I got this error:

"This CA Root certificate is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store."

Anyone else getting this error?
Is this something to worry abt?

Thx in adv!
Old March 2, 2009, 06:18 AM   #34
TheNatureBoy

Is the primer shortage that so many post about due to manufacturers not making them, suppliers not ordering them, or is it consumer driven, i.e. we're going to our local gun shops and buying them by the thousands. I was heading down I64 from Green Top in Hanover, Va. and thought about this after I had purchased 2000 primers.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:52 AM   #35
CrustyFN

Quote:
Is the primer shortage that so many post about due to manufacturers not making them, suppliers not ordering them, or is it consumer driven, i.e. we're going to our local gun shops and buying them by the thousands. I was heading down I64 from Green Top in Hanover, Va. and thought about this after I had purchased 2000 primers.
JMO but I think most local places have primers and powder in stock because they want double what you can buy it on-line for. That's why I wait and when I see it in stock on-line then I buy 50,000 to get my moneys worth out of the hazmat and shipping. I think most of the shortage is with the on-line vendors.
Rusty
Old March 2, 2009, 01:53 PM   #36
levrluvr

Quote:
Is the primer shortage due to manufacturers not making them, suppliers not ordering them, or is it consumer driven
Manufacturers are running full tilt, suppliers are ordering them, and the consumer demand is higher than what is being produced. Small rifle primers are presently being ordered by the military in an unprecedented amount. Those will be the last ones released for the increased consumer demand.
Old March 6, 2009, 05:16 PM   #37
James R. Burke

My local dealer says there is no shortage. He stated that they can buy thru places we can not. I asked him if there was no shortage then why did'nt he have any large rifle primers. He stated they would be coming in. So I asked him if he could give me some type of time line. His reply was 2 months. I told him seems pretty long to wait if you have some special source no one else has. For some reson he just acted like a jerk about the whole thing. So I told him with that attitude no wonder people were buying on line, and told him to stick his primers. I think in the future we will be o.k. people are just unsure of whats going on, and stocking up when they can. No doubt will cause a price increase. That just my opion.
Old March 7, 2009, 02:31 PM   #38
blue dingo

When I go in a store and see them raping reloaders on powder or primers or die prices I don't spend a dime in there, ever. There are way too many businesses that appreciate their customers. I also make it a point to relay that info to my friends.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:34 PM   #39
PCJim

Gents, let's not gang up on all the local dealers (I am not one, by the way). Keep in mind that the local guys have bills to pay too, and do not move the volume of supplies that the well known internet suppliers move. They also may not be able to obtain the same volume discounts either. They are smaller operations and have to make a little more per item to cover their expenses.

One of the local shops in my area has two sizable shelves stocked with primers, at a reasonable $27.95/k. Not as cheap as online, but figuring 29.91 including tax, that isn't bad against the internet suppliers and their shipping/haz-mat fees.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:15 PM   #40
troy_mclure

i placed an order with t&t, no word from them, i sent an email as well. they havent charged my card yet either.

anybody else use them?

i also found some primers/powder at my shooting range.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 8, 2009, 11:20 AM   #41
James R. Burke

I always try to buy from small guys in my area. There is one about a half hour a way that I buy alot of stuff from. They are really nice, honest, people to buy from. They are a little higher but I understand that, plus I am not paying no hazmat or nothing. The place I was talking about is right next door, and he treats his customers like garbage. Says we dont now what we are talking about etc. He had large win primers, but I was looking for cci. He keep saying how they were better, and I should just buy them. I tryed to explain that no doubt they were just has good or maybe they are better, but all my loads for the rifle were worked up with the cci, and I did not want to rework them. Then we got into it about there being no shortage etc even though he did not have anything. A few other reloaders told me he treated them bad also he is right in town two. But I am not buying nothing from him again, or the other people I talk to. It's o.k. what you charge or if your out of something, but you dont need to treat people like they are idots, and expect them to come back. Just my opion.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:34 AM   #42
protectedbyglock

I just bought 1000 more wolf SR primers yesterday for $24 from the local guy. Last case he had, though. He also only had 200 CCI SRs left...
Old March 8, 2009, 09:00 PM   #43
Dave R

Small rifle primers are extinct in Boise. None to be had nowhere.

No H335, either, which is my preferred rifle powder.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:30 PM   #44
protectedbyglock

I bought some H335 last week from the same little shop. They had 3 jugs left. Now they have none, but they have BLC(2). Needless to say, I now also have BLC(2).
My guy also has a bunch of primers. Tons of shotshell, a bunch of large and small pistol, and plenty of large rifle. He's just low on the small rifle that I need. Wolf is the cheapest at $24/k. His most expensive non-match primers are like $31/k. He's also got a bunch of jugs of winchester and alliant powder, too. I just don't regularly use it, but I'm gonna try some soon I think. I wish rifle powder lasted me as long as pistol...
Old March 20, 2009, 04:26 PM   #45
tools

Where are the primers and other reloading supplies? - Merged Threads

Anyone know where to get Fed 205M or CCI #$1 primers these days?
Old March 26, 2009, 03:38 PM   #46
James R. Burke

I got lucky finding some CCI primers in two differnt shops. Try the small ma and pa type if you have any by you. Sometimes they are just over looked and have what you need.
Old March 26, 2009, 03:43 PM   #47
ShootingNut

"Where are the Primers?", good question. Small pistol primers are almost nonexistent around here. Had to drive 100 miles, to buy the last two boxes
of WSP that store had. Plus stores say their suppliers have no idea when they will have more. Was it panic buying that dried up the supply? Can't go online, even if you wanted to pay the Hazmat fee, they are backorderd.
SN
Old March 26, 2009, 05:06 PM   #48
GuitarXM

-

Talk about primers...lol
I can't even get rifle brass for my 308...

I recently got some primers of http://www.natchezss.com
Those were cci #200 rifle primers

You just have to check every day....When they are in stock, people buy them right away, and they go out of stock again...

midway is a lost cause...
Old March 26, 2009, 07:10 PM   #49
ac700wildcat

I was lucky enough that my local store had happened to get in 6000 small pistol primers the other day when I called to see if my lower parts kit had came in. I promptly went there and bought 1000 of them. Today when I went in there for a cleaning jag they were all gone.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:39 PM   #50
Big-O-2

I have some on order online and called because they let me order them and they have been out of stock for some time. I am 75th in line on the Wolf primers for small and large pistol. At that rate I will have them by Christmas 2010? I have heard stories of layoffs in the ammo biz, that is bad for the reloader. If the common man can not get it from the store, they will be online looking to start reloading.

David