The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2017, 10:25 AM   #1
CCCLVII

Green laser for an N frame.

Going to be taking an extended vacation to Texas. My nephew has offered to let me help him on some night hog hunts. He is a professional exterminator. I believe we are using night scopes and Suppressors (I may be wrong on this).

I have my rifle already picked out but I'm wanting to carry a side arm. I am leaning toward a 44 magnum N frame. It currently has a crimson trace red laser on it but I have to admit my older eyes some times struggles to see the dot. I am hoping a green laser would help. As we are "hunting" at night the sights may not always be ideal.

Last edited by CCCLVII; October 10, 2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:55 AM   #2
gnystrom

Good question. The green laser is better at distance but green lasers eat batteries. If you are using your semi auto rifle as a primary I think you are pretty well set up. Ask this question of your nephew, he will have the most experience in the area you are hunting.

If I were to carry a handgun on a nighttime hog hunt I would be carrying a 10mm with a rail mounted light and laser combo. I have friends that have had charging hogs get within 3 feet before they went down. Having the ability to get your first shot off from a distance could be of great value.
Old October 12, 2017, 10:48 AM   #3
CCCLVII

After checking with veridian, crimson trace and laserlyte I can say that a green laser for any S&W revolver other than a J frame does not exist.

I still want to bring the 44 magnum so I guess I'll make due with a red laser. I was leaning tword a bolt gun with a suppressor for the rifle. I do have a suppressed 45-70 lever action.

As far as the 10mm goes. I agree it would work well but I shoot revolvers so much better than semiautos. I think it's because it's what I grew up with. I do own a 10mm and I like it but I'm not as proficient with it as I am my 44s or 357 magnums.