The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2001, 08:22 AM   #1
NG Bruce

Ken, I have been reading here for months, finally decided to register today. I assume you are the same Ken Waters that writes the Pet Loads column for Handloader Magazine? If so, I love your articles - just finished the current one on the .300 Savage. I have a request; I think the last time you wrote a Pet Loads article on my old favorite, the .348 WCF was in 1976. How about a revisit, maybe using Bear Tooths lead bullet and Hornady's jacketed one with some modern powders? Please?? Thanks, NG Bruce
Old February 2, 2001, 11:03 AM   #2
MADISON

WRONG WRONG WRONG

I E-Mailed Mr Ken L. Waters and ask him a question that Ken Waters should be able to answer and got a negative reply.

I was told I wnated Ken Waters and not him, Ken L. Waters.
Old February 2, 2001, 11:49 AM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

There are two very similar names, Kenneth L. Walters (me) and Ken Waters. Unfortunately we both use to write for the same magazines. One, Handloader, went so far as to print a short piece explaining the differences.

Ken Waters is much more knowledgeable about rifle accuracy. I tend to be very interested in bullet casting and reloading. Though I haven't written much in the last five or so years, the next Gun Digest will have an article on the 1870 vintage Evans lever action carbine. The next issue will have a piece on the Starr Civil War carbine.

Sorry that I can not answer Ken Waters like questions. Just don't know much about his subject area.
Old February 2, 2001, 01:20 PM   #4
NG Bruce

Sorry for the mix-up, but thanks for the reply. NG Bruce
Old February 2, 2001, 11:54 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Evans Carbine?

Hi, Kenneth L.- - - -

You know how it is, you learn a new word, or hear of some food dish, or almost anything out-of-the-way, and then you hear about it several times in the next short while?

Recently watched a TNT Cable movie called The Crossfire Trail,starring Tom Selleck, from the Louis L'Amour novel . The character played by Wilford Brimley carried an Evans carbine, saying he wasn't a very good shot and needed all that magazine capacity. I believe he said 28 shots, but a couple of other sources said it held 26 in the later version--34 in the older.

This led to a discussion on the API Gunsite board, and a couple of us did a little research on the Evans.

I'll look forward to your article.

Best to all--
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old February 3, 2001, 09:00 AM   #6
tonyz

The Crossfire Trail

I Just saw the movie last weekend and like it, the book was Good to!

Best
Old February 3, 2001, 01:16 PM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

Evans

The Evans is a fun old gun. Also, fortunately, if you know where to look you can find everything you need to go out and shoot one. Finding the right diameter bullet is a pain but that really the only trouble point.

The Old Model shot the 44 Evans Short. I'm not familiar with that. The Transition and New Models use the 44 Evans Long. You can use 44 Magnum brass and there is an NEI mould that will work. Bullet diameter here is 0.423 inches. Seems a bit low for a 44 but that is what it is. DKT makes ammunition. They can even recommend a smokeless loads that works well enough. Ballard, among others, has made the brass. Werid old gun.