The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
born2climb

9mm ammo advice

My oldest daughter turns 21 in 2 weeks, and I have picked up a Diamondback DB9 for her. I let her try my DB9 and my Sig P290 a few weeks Go, and she liked the DB better.

My question pertains to ammo for it. 9mm is becoming quite scarce around here. I picked up a box of CCI Blazer for her to familiarize herself with the gun. I have a box of 115-grain hollow points, and last night picked up a box of 95-grain flat soft points. Any advice on which of these two I should give her to load in the gun for carry purposes? She is small-framed and I was thinking the lighter bullet would yield lighter recoil. I know I'd prefer the heavier hollow point for myself, but these soft points look like good bullets, with deep slits for expansion.

Thoughts?
Old January 27, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Of the ammo you have available, the 115 gr JHPs are the best option for SD/CCW. There is not enough difference in recoil between the 95 gr JSP and the 115 gr JHP to make a noticeable difference in recoil. JSPs do not typically expand at handgun velocities and with the diminished velocity of the short barrel of the DB, expansion is even less likely.

Until you can find a heavy-for-caliber JHP, the 115 gr. JHP is preferable because it expands and damages more tissue and mitigates the potential of the bullet exiting and striking a bystander.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
born2climb

I have some 147-gr hollow points, but didn't figure they'd do as well in the DB as the 115s. Sound reasonable?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
g.willikers

Here comes the nag.
Once again, self defense has more to do with skill than the equipment.
Send or have her go to a good training facility.
The type of bullet doesn't matter if it doesn't hit the target.
Recoil isn't a consideration either, with training.
End of nag.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
keenanred

bullets

if it's for home defence id try the win SXT rounds from what i was told theyre pretty nasty rounds and are specifically for that
Old January 27, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
I have some 147-gr hollow points, but didn't figure they'd do as well in the DB as the 115s. Sound reasonable?
Without knowing what kind they are, it's hard to say for sure.

If you have some 147 gr HSTs, PDX1s, Gold Dots, Rangers, HydraShoks, or Golden Sabres (bonded), they'll do much better than the 115s giving you more penetration for any given expanded diameter.

My last employer, a large, mid-western PD, issued the Federal 9mm 147 gr. HydraShok for more than a decade and never had a failure during it's use in over one hundred OISs.