The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #1
SWAMPUS

Pawnshop Pump

New to forum.Hi!I prowl old country stores and pawnshops in my travels looking at old shotguns.Have picked several treasures.Saw a 12ga pump in N.C. that has since intrigued me.On top was "Winchester/------"Can't remember the other name other than it was a well known mfg'er.The odd thing that got to me was on top of reciever was a 1/2" hole.I slid the action forward and a lug popped up into the hole,presumable to help lock the action.Gun was serviceable(owner claimed it shot),but in bad appearance,bbl's zero blueing,stock dirty.I.E. good project gun.My ? anyone know anything about it?Sorry for lack of details,but wife was in truck waiting.I plan on going back next trip to cabin in N.C.ps-hole was square.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

Maybe a Stevens 520 or 620? I don't know where the "Winchester" would have come from though. The 520/620 are Browning designs, the 520 is a 'humpback' in the old Browning style and the 620 is streamlined.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
SWAMPUS

HUMPED?

Come to think of,it did have a slight hump.Damned sure not streamlined!Seem to remember it was kind of clunky.Liken to an A-5 to pump conversation,if you could even imagine one.Anyway,when and if I can get to my place later this mo. I"ll slip over to Sylva and check.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Auto-5 the A5 was first offered to Winchester to produce but that fell through. I wonder if this could have been a prototype.
Old January 8, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

Come to think of,it did have a slight hump

Like this one?

- pic from http://ugca.org/03mar/savage.htm

That's a later version of the 520 (the 520-30), in WW2 trench gun garb, the older ones actually had a double hump like the receiver of a BAR. And there's a picture of a 620 just below the pic of the 520 at the ugca link.

They were also sold as 'store brand' guns by Montgomery Ward...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.