The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2008, 02:37 PM   #1
velocette

Remington 11-87 modifications

I have a rarely used 11-87 Rem 12 ga Sporting Clays model. Nice wood, multiple choke tubes etc but it sits in my safe clean, lubed and ready for nothing. I no longer shoot skeet / trap etc. It costs enough to keep up with my rifle and pistol shooting.
I was wondering about obtaining a short barrel (18 ~22") and a magazine extension to make it a more suitable home defense gun.
Is this an action that will have the shotgun lovers shaking their heads and mumbling about what that philistine did to a nice gun or just go for it and have fun?
Your suggestions and advice are welcomed.

Roger
Old August 12, 2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Huntergirl

No problem. Remington has the 11-87 turkey gun in camo with the 22in barrel, and I use it for turkey hunting, and bear protection when camping. I can use it also for deer hunting if needed. I'm very pleased. with this factory model. I say modify it to your liking and needs with whatever is available. Don't know if there is a mag extension out there for the 11-87, but 3 shells with one in the pipe sounds sufficient to me for home defense.
Old August 12, 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Redneckrepairs

I would say you have the right idea since i just picked up a nice little 1100 ( not 11-87) with pretty good wood . It came with two barrels and an extention tube to give it 7 in the mag . one tube is about even with the mag extention and the other is a standard length fixed choke modified . Just for grins i combined the mod tube , the mag extension , and my father in laws pidgin problem . the result was 6 falling birds on flush and i have a heck of a home defense shotty with the short tube on it .
Old August 13, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4
b.thomas

Target grade 1187's carry somewhat of a premium by what I've been told, so why not just sell the 1187 sporting and buy a hd gun setup like you want it?
Old August 13, 2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Sarge

Quote:
Remington has the 11-87 turkey gun in camo with the 22in barrel, and I use it for turkey hunting, and bear protection when camping. I can use it also for deer hunting if needed. I'm very pleased. with this factory model. I say modify it to your liking and needs with whatever is available. Don't know if there is a mag extension out there for the 11-87, but 3 shells with one in the pipe sounds sufficient to me for home defense.
Clear thinking...practicality...common sense.

+1 on all.