The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 17, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
rangermonroe

I just bought a Garmin 60c...help

I need some charts and maps.

What is the best way to get regional charts/maps, that are fairly accurate and detailed.

The charts from Garmin cover the atlantic ocean from Greenland to southern Chile. I suspect that $216 is a bargain fro that much info, but I am interested in the coast of Georgia.

I am also going to Wyoming in a week or two, for a hunting trip. I wish to upload topo maps for Southern georgia and Wyoming. $116 for each area.

Is there another source for this data?
Old October 17, 2006, 02:11 PM   #2
geogecko

What exactly do you want, you're kind of all over the place, as far as maps go. Talking about the ocean, detailed maps, and topo, you are looking at spending a pretty penny if you want all that.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60cx.htm#MapSource

Mapsource City Navigator is pretty good ($120), but it will not contain Topo. Topo ($90) is another purchase.

I'm not positive, but for on device maps, you pretty much have to go with Garmin software.

There are plenty of programs out there for free that will pull waypoints, tracks, and routes from your GPS and plot them using Google maps or something.

Garmin products started using activation keys with their software about 2-3 years ago (similar to Microsoft XP), so you can't find pirated copies, or rely on purchased used copies to actually work (which is a good thing for those of us actually paying for the software).
Old October 17, 2006, 04:20 PM   #3
rangermonroe

Sorry if I sounded all over the place.

I hunt in Coastal Georgia and fish here as well. I need topo maps for hunting here, and I need charts for fishing here.

(Need, being very subjective, as I have been doing both for years without GPS)

I am going hunting in WY in a couple weeks, so I (need?) topos for that area as well.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:59 PM   #4
skeeter1

Here's a site you might want to check:

http://gpsinformation.us/gps60c/g60review.html

I have an older Garmin e-trex, which doesn't do maps at all.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:04 PM   #5
geogecko

I'm not very familiar with charts, and am not sure just a regular Mapsource City Navigator would do that for you, or if you would really want some type of marine charts...

As far as Topo goes though, you'd be pretty safe buying the Topo software on that site I listed. It should cover the entire US.

Hmm...could be this is what you might be looking for?

GARMIN MapSource U.S. Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots

Still looking at about $180 for both...and there are 3 of the above listed software, so if you wanted all 3...wow, that's a lot of cash.
Old October 17, 2006, 06:29 PM   #6
skeeter1

Just for the heck of it, you might check here:

http://www.geocaching.com/

That's where I go for a geocache hunt, but they might have maps for yours.
Old October 29, 2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Adventurer 2

I own two Garmins. The older one is no longer made and I couldn't load maps on it but it would download and upload waypoints, routes....

The software that I like for off road use is at this link: http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/state.cfm
You can zoom in closer than 1/100,000 and print maps with grid lines (cheaper than buying the maps).