The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 10, 2005, 09:46 AM   #1
MooseRLP

Had to use mine Wednesday Night (Update)

Well the nightmare is finally over. It has been a tough month since the incident occured. The man who tried to rob me is in jail and is awaiting sentencing. After the incident happened and was in custody of the police he was immediatly a suspect for 2 other robberies in the past 2 months one of them for Armed Robbery, Carjacking which the court found him guilty of (which was not my case but I testified against him). He was found guilt in my case for attempted robbery and Assault with a deadly weapon. He still has 1 more court date for Armed Robbery which is next Wednesday. As far as the counceling, I have been going to counceling and have atleast 2 more sessions to go to (however I feel relieved that he won't be getting out anytime soon and I think that has helped me out more than the counceling so far). The lady who was carjacked and the Police Dept. have thanked me. I still haven't shot any of my guns at the range since (kinda scared to). I appreciate all your guys support that I have recieved. I am just gald its over with and I can go on with my life.
Old June 10, 2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Trip20

Your a hero in my book. Mostly because you were able to save your OWN life. That's just as heroic as saving someone elses life if you ask me. Who knows what else this bastard would have done if you hadn't cut his night short.

Kudos to you. Get back out on that range as soon as you feel comfortable with it. Don't let this incident (read: that bastard) stop you from doing something you enjoy.

When you step up to the firing line, you should swell with confidence knowing what you had prepared for (i.e. protecting yourself); you were able to do with out hesitation. And, thankfully your state has seen this in the same light.
Old June 10, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Robert Garner

Aye! Unfortunatly at least you know that you will react in a responsible manner,None of us that havent been there KNOW how we will do!?!
I hope I never have to find out,so get back up on that horse and ride!
Give us a range report when you get back!
Old June 10, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4
tjhands

Buddy, you have my full support. What you did took guts. Very few of us will ever have to dig down that deep. I agree with the guy above.....I'd put your name in the "HERO" column without hesitation. In a short while the clouds will clear, your mind will clear, and you'll be left with the knowledge that when the ship hit the fan, you had the stones to stick it out and fight the fight.

** hat off to you!!**
Old June 10, 2005, 11:03 AM   #5
918sgt

Had to use mine...............

Just as long as you are OK. As a retired cop I always appreciated people like you being on the street. My wife had to go to counseling after some As...le tried to shoot her for her purse several years ago. I went with her for support. The counselor was nuttier than we could ever hope to be. Had no conception of the danger involved. Walk tall and stand proud. I'd stand with you anytime. Well done.
Old June 10, 2005, 11:39 AM   #6
Relayer

As 918Sgt said, WELL DONE!

The test came, and you passed. You did what you needed to do, what had to be done.

I'm no counselor, but I'd say get back to the range as soon as possible.

Cheers!
Old June 10, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
Moose -

I missed the original posts, so please excuse the lateness of my comments.

I salute you. Not only did you do what needed to be done to keep from becoming a robbery victim, you did what needed to be done to keep yourself from becoming a victim of the incident itself. Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself.

Hope you find your way back to a calm life.

stay safe.

skidmark
Old June 10, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Another WELL DONE from my corner . 918sgt's experience with a counselor underscores the need for a counselor that's been there and done that. No one else could even begin to comprehend. I'm with the others: You need to get back in the saddle as soon as you can. Hesitation to pick up a gun again is completely normal, and is the sole reason that my Dept's SOP includes a re-qualification after an officer is involved in a shooting.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 10, 2005, 01:10 PM   #9
XavierBreath

First, a link to the original thread.
Had to use mine Wednesday Night

Next, a hearty Kudos to the mods for letting us know of this update by email.

Moose, I'm glad that this is coming to a close for you. Keep your chin up and don't let anyone second guess you. It is what it is, and nobody has a right to second guess you.

Well done Moose. I'd go back to back with you any day.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Duxman

Good show!

Moose - good one. You rightly deserve hero status.

The human concience is a strange thing. Feelings of guilt are common even when you are guilty of nothing. Try writing a letter with all your feelings about the incident, then burning it. Keep the ashes in a jar somewhere.

Then go to the range and fire off 500 rounds. Nothing like the smell of gunpowder.

PS I took 9 months of therapy after my divorce and I can gather that an event like what you went through is just as traumatic if not more: Jot down your thoughts in a journal and read them from time to time - saves the $300 / hour shrink cost.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:14 PM   #11
racinstylez

That was a great thing you did. Who knows what I would have done if I was in the same situation. Great Job!
Old June 10, 2005, 01:35 PM   #12
MooseRLP

The couseling I attend is done by the City. Its more of a motivational type thing (kinda like a an AA class I guess) there are 2 or 3 people in the counceling with me every week. It helps I guess. The writing everything down and burning theory sounds like it worth a try. The police Dept. has been great throughtout the whole situation one of the detectives called me quit a bit to see how I was doing (even played Basketball with him and other policeman at a local school here against students) I think I really dont need the counceling any more but we'll see in 2 more weeks when it should be over (was told it usually taked about 2 months to get make to the right mental state) Again I appreciate all the help from this board
Old June 10, 2005, 02:38 PM   #13
swjr72

moose
being from S.C. myself I am glad to see how things worked out
Stay safe
Old June 10, 2005, 04:25 PM   #14
coolridelude

glad you are ok. just take your time and when you are ready go do what you like doing.
Old June 10, 2005, 05:35 PM   #15
WOD

Good call Moose and hang in there

The thing that I fear most about having to go through a situation like the one involved is the second guessing that comes along with it. In self-defense, we are taught that hesitation kills, but in reality when the time comes to act in our defense or the defense of others we are plagued by social and legal issues. For instance I have a business in Oregon, in a progressive liberal part of town where my christianity is chastised and if it were known my interest in guns would be looked down upon. There are only a few customers, most in law inforcement that I can talk guns with. In fact we all clam up the minute another customer comes in as we all are aware of feelings towards guns and law enforcement. It is almost as if we are the terrorist, yet anyone of us would step in to help a fellow neighbor in need, except for the fact that we are afraid to get sued. I feel that I would get little support from my neighborhood were I required to shoot someone in my shop for self defense and I fear that it would ruin my business and usurp my standing in the community. I have acted cowardly many times because of my fear of litigation, for example I once let a man beat a woman(his GF) senseless because I was told by friends in LE that the best way to get sued is to step in on a domestic dispute as both of them will either beat you or sue you. I called the cops and just stood by telling them I did so, but did not intervene beyond that. The guy just beat her down and I just watched until the cops came. What Moose did was heroic, and most importantly it was just. Alot of us would have let this guy just go and allow him to continue victimizing people until he inadvertantly killed somebody. Moose made it a point to show the man the folly of his ways. The only folly I see in this as have been pointed out by a friend in LE is to allow a man you have intended to use deadly force on survive. Beware of litigation from those who seek to steal from you. They have nothing to lose, you do.
Old June 10, 2005, 06:38 PM   #16
jburtonpdx

Moose
You sound like the kind of guy that is helping others in counceling as much as your self probably...

Thanks for helping make this a safer world..
Old June 10, 2005, 06:55 PM   #17
Eghad

Woot for Moose

1 more criminal off the street.......

NRA Life Member
Old June 10, 2005, 07:10 PM   #18
SamD

Now you know that there is good and evil in the world.
You are one of the good. You will never have to ask yourself the question again, now you know what you will do.

God Bless you Moose

Sam
Old June 11, 2005, 12:50 AM   #19
payne

Moose, glad everything turned out fine. Im glad you live where you do. In time I hope your able to get back to the range.
Old June 11, 2005, 12:52 AM   #20
yekimak

good job.
Old June 11, 2005, 03:34 AM   #21
Mikkel

You did one hell of a good job Moose! Stand tall and walk proud!! The BG had it coming and you stopped him. Allways think about that whenever your in doubt! This reminds me as well to get back on the range and practice more.
Old June 11, 2005, 10:41 AM   #22
wayneinFL

Good job, Moose.

Best wishes.
Old June 11, 2005, 10:47 AM   #23
CajunBass

Moose

Well done Moose.

God bless you.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 11, 2005, 11:25 AM   #24
calishooter

self defense

I have had to draw my wepon in self defense 3 times and ones to protect a friend,(though I never had to fire the bgs all ran or surrendered and were arrested).But my point is after the first incadent I could not pick up a gun without shaking for about 6 months in fact it took the second time I had to draw to stop the shaking.hang in there youll get back to normal.
Old June 11, 2005, 01:26 PM   #25
GUNSMOKE45441

Moose
As I said before WELL DONE!!!! Glad you're doing ok.