The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 04:10 PM   #51
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you...
I don't think you offended him. He's just saying he honestly doesn't like it.

Quote:
I didnt know people could be that picky when wanting a "beach gun" on a budget.....
Hey now, for me it's not a "beach gun" lol it's a normal part of my EDC gun that just so happens to be on the beach here and there.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:46 PM   #52
Carry_24/7

NAA Pug .22 mag inside a big cup with lid, that's my beach setup.

I know, all the nothin short of 9mm folks just howled...so what.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:33 PM   #53
RalphS

I have lived in South Florida, 6 miles from the beach, for 20 years. I usually go fishing or walking on the beach every week. My beach gun is the same as my everyday carry gun, an LCP in my front pocket.

Crime does happen on the beaches of Florida, but it's rare and usually at night after the life guards go home.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:56 PM   #54
BGutzman

1. No limit budget - Sig Sauer MK 25 -P226 - works for Navy Seals so seems top of the list for the beach.
  2. Your budget - used 1911 or with a lot of luck a used P220 compact
Old January 3, 2013, 12:05 AM   #55
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGutzman View Post
  1. No limit budget - Sig Sauer MK 25 -P226 - works for Navy Seals so seems top of the list for the beach.
  2. Your budget - used 1911 or with a lot of luck a used P220 compact

That's about a good response. Enough to close this thread lol. B, you cut right to the core of things like a samurai.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:43 AM   #56
warningshot

The day I earned my PADI suba diving certificate I made a deal with all the sharks in the Pacifc: I don't bite them, and they don't bite me.

With Mr. Glenn Dees permission, I'll pay a visit to dozen or so local gangs and other assorted common criminals that frequent our beachs and draw-up some similar kind of written agreement with them using GDs statistical absolutes. We all should know that despite GD living hundreds of miles away, he is more familiar with the unpredictables on my local beachs than I am. I know I should listen to him and Diane more than my common sense. How silly of me.

Go ahead and laugh. Not even 1 of hundreds of sharks, large or small, has ever given me a hassel.

Last edited by warningshot; January 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:06 AM   #57
Smit

I hear they make some pretty nice Super-Soakers nowadays that come with multiple barrels. Lots of beach fun.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:27 AM   #58
warningshot

Yea, but in California there is a 10 day wait on super-soakers. Just to be safe.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:04 AM   #59
Sport45

Quote:
Your budget - used 1911 or with a lot of luck a used P220 compact
For $350 how used would the 1911 have to be?
Old January 3, 2013, 02:08 AM   #60
9mm

I seen RIA new for $430ish and used $350, a 3.5 inch compact RIA would be good.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:07 PM   #61
Dragline45

What is the need for multiple guns at the beach? Sorry but that seems a little paranoid. Where is the enjoyment in life when everywhere you go you feel you need a gun to protect yourself from as you call them "evil people". Now I myself carry everyday and at most places permitted, but the beach!?! Sorry just seems a little crazy to me. Sometimes you need to just kick back and relax, and the beach is one of those places I don't want to lug around a floaty pack with my J frame in it.

Quote:
I'll pay a visit to dozen or so local gangs and other assorted common criminals that frequent our beachs
What beaches do you go to? I currently live on Cape Cod and grew up in Boston, I have always been a stones throws away from a hundred beaches and have never seen a group of criminals at one of them.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 3, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 06:35 PM   #62
BigD_in_FL

I agree dragline, never saw criminals at the beach , except for the cold drink vendors
That's from NY to TX and SD to Seattle
Even when crowded, most groups are there to party and hook up for later with friends
Old January 3, 2013, 06:41 PM   #63
jason_iowa

I would buy a used glock its not like sand in it is going to make it any more gritty then it is out of the factory. As long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger..
Old January 3, 2013, 09:04 PM   #64
Nathan

If I had to pick a beach gun, it would most likely be my Glock for reliability and don't care attitude...I mean, it's a Glock. They have to be dropped 3-4 times to look like Glocks! Also, there is nothing special about my Glock. If it were stolen, just get another. They're all bout the same!
Old January 3, 2013, 09:06 PM   #65
BGutzman

Quote:
That's about a good response. Enough to close this thread lol. B, you cut right to the core of things like a samurai.
Sig addiction is strong You are beginning to feel the force yourself, I believe... Actually for myself if I felt the need for a beach pistol, 1911 wouldn't be a bad choice, reliable, easy to clean or maybe a derringer, that new titanium one that doesn't seem to be on the market but is advertised..

Last edited by BGutzman; January 4, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:01 AM   #66
jason_iowa

No such thing as a completely safe area. Lots of drinking goes on at beaches. Drinking gets out of control people lose tempers, weapons come out etc etc. If its worth carrying anywhere then its worth it on the beach.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:48 AM   #67
Glenn Dee

Warning shot
Sir...

It seems you take exception to my posts. No need to get smarmy because we disagree. Thats what comes of a freedom of speech. I'd ask that you respect my right to speak my mind in open forum. I try to keep in mind that respect for the forum and other members is a responsibility that comes with that freedom, and the privilage of belonging to the forum.

Nothing I've posted in this thread is, or should be taken as absolout. It's just my opinion based on my own training, education, and experience. I sometimes feel the need to qualify some of the statements I make, on those occasions I will share some experience, or training tid-bit.

I truely apologize to anyone who may have taken offence to anything I may have posted. It is not and never has been my intent to offend anyone.

Glenn!
Old January 4, 2013, 07:21 PM   #68
warningshot

The orginal OP was asking the forum’s collective opinion on pistol selection for beach CCW carry. My answer was a 9X18 Makarov. Your initial post, post number 18, was not a pistol make or model, but rather the following commentary;
Quote:
Why do you need a gun at the beach? I might bring a can of pepper spray... The beach IMO is a bad place for a gun..
Glen says he offers no absolutes;
Quote:
And thats just the way it is... like it or not.
Mr. Glenn Dee, you are correct on this point: I do take exception to posts that imply or infer that the individual should not CCW where he or she seems legally fit to, the beach included. I accept your apology. Thank You.

Tens of thousands of adult Americans of sound mind and body, are denied their right to CCW do solely to some other individual’s opinion on threat management. The OP sees a threat. It happens to be at the beach. He doesn’t need to be told his assessment is incorrect and the real solution is a can of pepper spray. Real crime happens at the beach. That is one reason why the LEOs whom work there are heavily armed. Local officials like to keep a lid on this crime rate so as not to scare the tourists and decrease property values.

Last edited by warningshot; January 4, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #69
Sport45

Glenn's response about pepper spray was no more out of place than the "get a shotgun" suggestion often seen when people ask about rifles or handguns for home defense.

I don't think it was out of line. Suggestions here often veer away from the original question and sometimes result in the original poster rethinking their needs.

Last edited by Sport45; January 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Left a "n" out of Glenn
Old January 4, 2013, 08:39 PM   #70
seeker_two

Sport45: So....he should get a shotgun for the beach? He's gonna need a bigger beach towel.....
Old January 4, 2013, 08:57 PM   #71
Edward429451

When I lived in Florida I wore a Bulldog in a bellyband under baggy shorts with no shirt all over the beaches. I did everything but swim.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:10 PM   #72
Sport45

Quote:
Sport45: So....he should get a shotgun for the beach? He's gonna need a bigger beach towel.....
Nah, his trench coat should conceal it well enough.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:38 PM   #73
warningshot

Only if it was a ''Tactical' trench coat.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:56 PM   #74
KevininPa

"NAA Pug .22 mag inside a big cup with lid, that's my beach setup.

I know, all the nothin short of 9mm folks just howled...so what."

And it will fit in a Speedo as well!
Old January 5, 2013, 09:01 PM   #75
BigD_in_FL

And Jason Iowa, where have you seen all this drinking, tempers getting lost and weapons coming out?
That would be reported, so please provide a link.
I am at the beach ALL the time, and I have never seen any of that behavior, even among all the crowded surfer areas, so please provide a link to the paper with these reports..... Thanks!

If the OP truly feels the threat at the beach is that severe, why would you knowingly go where you are putting yourself and family in such harms way? Find another beach or get a pool installed...