The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2002, 10:16 PM   #1
knzn

Savage 110 safety

Right to the point----Is there anyway, or an aftermarket safety for the Savage 110? The stock tang safety is a pain to use with cold and gloved hands.
thanks
Old January 21, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2
savagehunter308

that makes me laugh. i live in AZ where we think its cold when it hits the 65 degree mark. i have no idea my friend....u know anyone that could make you one? if the safty is metal maybe have a professional saulder a little thingy on the safty...? good luck
Old January 21, 2002, 11:09 PM   #3
blackamos

I have not ever seen this but wish someone whould make a better safety for it also. I live in Michigan and know what you are talking about.
Old January 21, 2002, 11:43 PM   #4
ed mason

It sucks plain and simple.
Old January 22, 2002, 07:49 AM   #5
knzn

Savage hunter308:

Soldering something on top of the safety is a good idea--I thought so too. But the bolt travels close over the top of the safety and anything on top of it would block the bolt travel.

I discoverd this after I had mixed a small batch bedding epoxy and was about to glue a BB on top of it!

If the darn thing didn't shoot so well I would just trade it off. But-----it's a shooter.
Old January 22, 2002, 04:30 PM   #6
Bogie

Guys, don't rely on ANY bolt rifle's "safety" to keep the thing from firing if dropped, etc... I don't think that there are any out there that physically block the firing pin - They just block the trigger, which can, in many cases, still be forced to fire.

FWIW, I've got three savages... When carrying 'em around, they've got an empty tube.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 22, 2002, 04:37 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Bogie and guys,

There are many bolt action safeties that lock the firing pin, including the Mauser, Springfield M1903, Model 1917, Winchester 70 and Ruger 77. The Remington 700 safety retracts and locks the firing pin OK when new, but can fail trigger reset when worn.

I agree, though, that no one should depend absolutely on any mechanical safety and should always keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction.

Jim
Old January 22, 2002, 05:37 PM   #8
ENC

I solved the problem with mittends taht will fold back the thumb as well as the fingers. If I am seeing anything to make me take off the safety the cold no longer bothers me, however I am still young and a 40 pound doe on opening morning still give me the shakes.