The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2009, 05:08 PM   #26
awaveritt

Quote:
I think shooting jacketed after lead to clean it out is idiotic and asking for a kaboom.
I always thought that cleaning lead fouling by shooting jacketed bullets was a wives tale. But without intending to, discovered it can be effective. I fired 50 rounds of 38 special +P jacketed hollowpoints the other day in my .38 snubby which had begun to show some lead deposits. Amazingly, my bore looks like new.

This gun has been fed about 600-700 rounds of various lead bullets and these 50 jacketed hollowpoints did the trick. Go figure.
Old August 19, 2009, 05:22 PM   #27
hornady

I don’t think I would recommend shooting jacketed ammo to remove lead. Just not a good Idea. There are a lot of things in life you may get away with. But are still bad Ideas. I like the Lewis kit. The kit also comes with an attachment to get the lead out of the forcing cone on revolvers
Old August 19, 2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Gun 4 Fun

Firing jacketed bullets to clear your barrel is a bad thing. Period. You may think you're getting the lead out, but if you use a bore scope, you'll quickly see that you've wiped off the heavy stuff visible to the naked eye, while driving smaller particles deep into the small surface imperfections in every bore. About the only way to get that out is to use the Foul Out system.

If you don't get all traces of lead out, jacketed will never shoot up to their full potential.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:19 PM   #29
Kyo

I shot lead SWC first at the range a few days ago and then a mag of FMJ's just fine. The barrel looked fine before, and after. I am not saying I did it to "clean" the lead out. Thats not what it was. We were comparing my reloads to factory ammo
Old August 20, 2009, 08:17 AM   #30
hornady

As said above. I would shoot the jacketed stuff first.. You would not get much leading in one mag. If all factors are right. But as said . why drive the lead deposits into the barrel.
Old August 20, 2009, 09:24 AM   #31
snuffy

Quote:
If you get leadded use kroil and a sectioin of cleaning rod with the stainless brush and use a drill. The rpm's and work it back and forth pull it very well.
You must be the individual that ruined a 7 mag Savage I worked on. It looked like someone had wrapped 0 steel wool around a cleaning jag and spun it with a drill motor! That rifle would group 5 shots into 6 inches @ 100 yds!:barf: I firelapped it, then it would shoot 1.5 @ 100 with the right handload.

You do NOT spin anything in a rifled barrel. Done often enough, it will REMOVE the rifling. I DO clean shotgun barrels with heavy leading/plastic fouling using 4-0 steel wool wrapped tightly around an old bore brush. The steel wool is not hard enough to cut the barrel steel ON A SMOOTHBORE.

As for leading, what leading? None in my barrels. Since I make my own bullets, I'm in control of the size and hardness. I also know what my bores measure. So I can match hardness, size and the load levels to each bore, NO LEADING. It's darn hard to do if you buy your lead bullets. There's a few suppliers that will offer different sizes, and different hardness specific to your order. They won't be cheap, so what's the point?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 20, 2009, 12:32 PM   #32
jimkim

Just load a few rounds using *COW as a filler. The COW will scrub your bore clean.

* Cream Of Wheat