The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2009, 05:42 PM   #1
gdeal

LEE Case Length Guage & Shell Holder vs. L.E. Wilsons Max Cartridge Gage

I will be handloading .40 S&W on a Lee Turret Press to start out. I have a Lee case length guage coming with the press. Should I get a L.E. Wilson Max Cartridge Gage as well?
Old August 18, 2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The Lee gauge is an integral part of the Lee case trimmer. Unless you have the rest of the trimmer (stud and cutter) it won't do you any good. These parts are inexpensive.

You will find pistol cases seldom need trimming, but in your shoes, having the Lee gauge coming and it being of no use without the other parts, I would spend the six bucks on the stud and cutter (Lee part number 90110) and then if you run into a case that's long, you can trim it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 18, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
gdeal

Quote:
You will find pistol cases seldom need trimming, but in your shoes, having the Lee gauge coming and it being of no use without the other parts, I would spend the six bucks on the stud and cutter (Lee part number 90110) and then if you run into a case that's long, you can trim it.
Why do they sell them seperately like that?
Old August 18, 2009, 09:04 PM   #4
oldreloader

The cutter and case length guage are sold seperately.That way once you have the cutter all you have to buy for each caliber is the case lenth guage part
Old August 18, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Farmland

I believe what you have is the Lee case gauge pilot. It works with a shell holder, lock nut and cutter. It is a neat portable case trimmer that can work by hand or a drill. I use one to trim my 223's because I can sit on the pouch and enjoy the fresh air.

The strange thing is that I do have a 40 case gauge and shell holder. However I never trim my 40 cases. I remember buying it but for the life of me I don't know why I did.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:10 AM   #6
gdeal

Quote:
I remember buying it but for the life of me I don't know why I did.
Old August 19, 2009, 06:21 AM   #7
cerberus65

Get the cutter with the ball handle:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=136199

It's easier on the hand...
Old August 19, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Most pistol loads have low enough pressure they don't stretch the case appreciably, and never do with light target loads. Indeed, cases firing light target loads actually shrink over time as the sizing process swages the brass rearward. That's why they seldom need trimming. The hotter magnum loads will stretch, though.

I agree with Farmland that the Lee gauge should be called a "pilot". Unfortunately Lee just calls it a "Case Length Gauge", so confusion ensues. That part comes with a free shell holder for the stud that comes with the cutter, btw. The ball handle cutter is a good idea for hand trimming. It's only a buck more. The plain one is better if you have a drill press with a chuck large enough to accommodate it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 19, 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
BigJimP

Call Dillon and order one of these - or at least this is what I was discussing with you the other day ....

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...gun_Case_Gages

The Dillon Website has LE Wilson case gagues as well.....