The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
rjrivero

Brass Broom: Picking up brass without breaking your back.

I shot the mi3gun match yesterday and met a guy from West Michigan who has a small online business.

He had some neat things and one in particular caught my attention.

He calls it the Brass Broom. It is a little cage that is made of strands of wire that pick up brass as it rolls over it. Then you put it over the "extractor" and give it a little twist to dump the brass into a 5 gallon bucket.

It sure beats the snot out of bending over and picking up brass by hand all day long.

I thought I'd share with you in case you're interested. I have no vested interest in this company, just a product I thought was worth sharing.

I bought the one he was using yesterday off of him at the range.

http://www.hitfactorshooting.com/pro...&categoryId=18
Old August 17, 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
QBall45

Looks like it would work great!

No way am I going to spend that kind of money at this time though. I got 4 2 legged brass brooms (aka kids) that also like to shoot. They earn their shooting time by helping me police the backyard range whenever I shoot. Its great. I get my brass picked up and they get to shoot. It works currently. Not sure hiw well it will work when their grown and gone. (Will I be able to get my wife to police brass? Maybe but unlikely)
Old August 17, 2009, 08:37 AM   #3
rjrivero

I agree with you, it's kind of pricey. When I was at that match, virtually NO ONE ELSE was picking up brass. I ended up picking up maybe 2,000 pieces of .223 and who knows how many 9mm, 45ACP, and .40 S&W. It paid for itself that day in brass alone!!
Old August 17, 2009, 09:12 AM   #4
jmorris

You can get them in several different sizes they all come from here http://www.holtsnutwizard.biz/ if you get at least 3 you can get a 10% discount. I modified a telescoping paint roller handle so mine will collapse from 5’ to less than 3’ in length, making it easier to haul around.
Old August 18, 2009, 02:14 AM   #5
impalacustom

Jmorris, you beat me to it. My aunt uses one of these in Arizona to pick up pecans and when I was down there, I got the privledge to use one too. They work pretty well with nuts, I'd say about 90% success rate. Brass i'd say they'd work about as well but with a little less success and probably wouldn't work on a rocky ground though.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
jmorris

They are no good in gravel. I like them as you can be selective about what you pick up and they work better than a Bag a Nut on uneven ground.

Before others ask this is a bag a nut and they work well and are very fast but you get more debris mixed with your brass than with the nut wizard.

Old August 18, 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
shooter-55

What's wrong with a good old flat spade shovel and some shoveling manure technique??? Been in the country too long. Sorry.