The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Method

Beginner Tips for Handgun / Rifle Training

I am a relatively new shooter looking for some tips. My previous firearms experience includes qualifying on the M9 during USAF career and a Beretta PX4 which I shot very casually (i.e. maybe once every three months) for the last two years. I recently traded in the PX4 for a Sig TAC 1911. Shot it for the first time this week, and was amazed at how accurate I was and how much more comfortable it felt.

Anyway, I plan to be at the range every two weeks minimum as a consistent habit, shooting 50-100 rounds each visit. Eventually, I'd like to use my pistol as a HD option, but I do not have it loaded or ready to load now because I do not feel I am adequately trained/prepared. I'm looking for two things:

- Are there are specific routines or exercises you all recommend for an indoor 25yd range?
- What sort of training do people do in their homes? I sort of figured it would be a good idea if I prepared for actual scenarios so I could think through all the things that could go wrong.
- When did you all feel comfortable that you were adequately prepared to use a firearm in a home defense scenario?
Old June 14, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
MarkDozier

Tips
#1 Get a basic handgun class that covers the use of deadly force and its use in your local area.
#2 If OK has concelled carry get a class that covers all the aspects legal and presonal responsiblity of concelled carry
Each of these classes should have live fire.

Dry fire at home. This helps with trigger control and sight picture.
More Dry Fire.

Most important you need to ask yourself in a serious manner the following question.
AM I WILLING TO TAKE A HUMAN LIFE.
Do not litely answer this. Think about it often and reflect on it.

Also get a good book and study it. Mas Ayoob has a good one I don't recall the titla of.
Old June 14, 2013, 06:28 AM   #3
MTSCMike

Check the IDPA website for clubs near you and go there if you can. Most clubs have talented shooters who will share information and assist a new shooter. All their shooting is based on potential self defense scenarios.

Seek training from reputable sources...check references.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
DaleA

Formal training is a good idea, you'll get tips and techniques of course but don't forget to socialize with your fellow students.

Find out what your fellow students are shooting and why. Make some shooting buddies. Also see if they are doing some form of competition shooting.

I think competition shooting is a great way to improve your shooting skills and don't think everybody shooting competition is an 'expert' and that you can't compete with them. The vast majority of leagues welcomes new shooters. It gives you regular practice and a yardstick to measure your progress and it's fun to boot.

Disclaimer: I have (once) run across a league where it seemed all the shooters were 'too cool for school' but that was the exception. All the other leagues that I have shot in have been fun and have had a wide range of shooters and have divided the shooters into categories based on their skill levels so you were competing against folk of similar skills to your own.
Old June 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Buzzcook

The first response has it right. Take a basic handgun class. Getting off on the right foot is very important.

I also agree with getting into informal competition. The people who you compete with will be very helpful.

The 1911 is a very comfortable gun for most shooters. It points naturally and has plenty of heft to help control recoil.

Have fun.