The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 11, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Polinese

Another Winchester 94 thread.

I didn't want to start another, but also didn't want to hijack any of the ongoing threads. I tried a google search and only found a few responses (i.e. not enough to satisfy my curiosity), I was at my local shop picking up my new (to me) Browning Hi Power and they had a Winchester 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative rifle with the 20 inch barrel. I'm still pretty new to lever guns but it seemed pretty nice to me and they only wanted a little over 400 for it.

I put it on layaway for the moment so I could search out more info on it.

I've gathered these are 1968 so how is the quality of the Buffalo Bill rifles?
Old June 11, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
jmr40

That is probably a fair price, maybe a little high around here, but values vary quite a bit in different parts of the country. Winchester made so many different commemeorative 94's that very few have any real collector value. I wouldn't want it personally, although it will probably be a decent shooter. The post-64 guns up until aboutt 1980 were not the best years, but most guns made during that time were OK.

For me I would be tempted to not actually use a commemorative gun, yet it probably won't really increase much, if at all in value. I'd rather save a few bucks and have a standard, non-commemorative rifle. But that is just me
Old June 11, 2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Polinese

Thanks for the info, I was actually interested in it as a shooter. I don't mind that it got "prettied" up a bit, but was wondering more on the mechanical quality of it. I've been looking for a 30-30 and maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I haven't seen too many winchesters in the couple shops I frequent.

At the price they had it I figured the commemorative factor wasn't adding much if anythign to the value, and I found that there were quite a few of them made further negating any added value.

I just saw a 30-30 winchester with a octagon barrel and was interested.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Lucas McCain

For a commemorative to have any real value, it needs the original box and the paper work that came with it. It can't be fired and there cannot be any dings or scratches on it. It can't show any wear on the action from repeatedly being opened and closed. check in the lever hinge areas for any wear signs. That is what gives it NIB status.
Truth be known about commemoratives its been said they were made from guns that had blemishes on them or seconds. Can't lay any positive claim to that effect. The cartridge carrier was made from stamped sheet metal rather than being machined, and that was a serious weak point because of it bending.
A pre 64 is the best lever rifle to carry its value.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Polinese

Can the stamped carrier be swapped out with a machined one?
Old June 12, 2013, 08:56 AM   #6
PetahW

Not really, but the carrier is easily swapped out for a post-1970 cast/solid carrier/lifter (look for the mold seam marks running lengthwise down the center) - I've done several for myself & friends, over the years.

That said, it doesn't really need to be changed out, save for esthetics or a feeding issue.

Please take care around the receiver of that rifle, since it's not a highly-polished blue - it's black chrome, which will readily chip out around the sharp edges, especially around screw holes if one's careless with a screwdriver.

OTOH, it's prepped on the LH rear of the receiver for any aftermarket receiver peep sight for the Model 94 - so if you peep it, don't forget to removed the rear bbl open/iron sight for a clean sight picture, replacing it with a dovetail slot filler blank, either boughten or one filed out of the dovetail section of any old longleaf rear bbl sight.

I liked the 20" bbl much better then the longer bbl version, just because it handled so much easier - both being a somewhat heavy octagon.

$400 is a good price, TODAY, for a Buffalo Bill Rifle.

Old June 15, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Malamute

I've had a couple Buffalo Bill guns, they are nice, and generally good shooters with their heavier barrels. I swapped out some of the nickel plated parts for blued, but it isn't a big deal. The carriers (lifters) are pretty easy to swap for the better forged/machined ones if you want. The parts aren't as easy to find today, but are around.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old June 15, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Polinese

Would it be an ordeal to attach a tang sight to the rifle?
Old June 16, 2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Jack O'Conner

The commemoritive Winchesters are very attractive and well known for holding their value. A friend has a "like new" Canadian model with engraved maple leaf and octogan barrel. He has taken many fine bucks with this carbine.

A good smith can mount that tang sight for you.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old June 16, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Malamute

They are also drilled and tapped from the factory for receiver sights. If you havent carried and used a gun with a tang sight, I'd suggest doing so before spending the money. I bought a gun with one, but once I had it, I couldnt get the tang sight off fast enough, it seemd to be in the way of my hand to handle and shoot it. Doesn't seem to bother some folks, but I really didnt like it. Even folded it seemed to be a nuisance.

Some of the guys on the leverguns forum have reported that they simply use the rear screw for a tang sight with good results. One cut off a front screw and epoxied it in so it didnt look odd to him with the empty hole. No need to modify the gun to use the single rear screw.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old June 16, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Hawg

That's a pretty good price for a really nice 94 around here. In other parts of the country it would be outrageously high. Mine was made in 79 and while its not pretty by anybody's standard it will shoot with the best of them. I'd price a standard model before I put out money on the BB that you'll never get back.
Old June 16, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Malamute

Therein lies the value of the commemoratives in my opinion. They often aren't priced all that much higher than the standard carbines when in similar condition, especially since Winchester closed the US plant. I don't agree about never seeing the money back from the price difference after buying and shooting it, even a NIB gun. Yes, you see a drop, but not the half or less that some predict at times. I've shot several NIB commemoratives. Once fired, they are in the shooter class, but I haven't seen any huge drop in value when I sold them. On a more rare version, perhaps, but not in the more common ones that had a large number produced. They often shoot better than most standard carbines also, with their heavier octagon barrels.