The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2000, 05:16 PM   #1
dundee

Can a reloader use the same dies for 45 acp and 45 long colt?
1 Of course the shell holder is different,
2 the colt case is longer(die adjustment?)
3 according to the book the acp case is .476 and the colt case is .480. Weeelll I took my micrometer to several acp cases and they measured .472. Several colt cases measured .476. Yes I checked my mike by measuring some 45 acp jacketed bullets and they measured .451.
Now we all know you can reload 44 special and 44 mag with the same dies and same goes for 38/357. With this difference, .004, could a person use acp dies and resize colt cases or would there be too much working of the brass and the case libeal to early failure?
I am advising a new reloader who will be buying a 45 acp pistol and either a 45 colt or 44 mag revolver. If he can use the same die set it makes sense to buy the 45 / 45 combo. If not then maybe the 44 makes more sense.

Thanks for your thoughts.
PS. after hearing from the owner of a gunshop what the new Federal/Smith & Wesson rules are, NONE of these guns are smiths.
Old April 1, 2000, 05:32 PM   #2
char923

dundee
I dont think so the 45 ACP has a taper crimp and the 45 Colt has a roll crimp. RCBS and Lyman show different die sets.
Old April 1, 2000, 07:05 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While it doesn't sound like much, sizing the ACP brass in the .45 Colt die could leave it a bit of a force fit in the ACP chamber. Quel bummer!

Using the ACP die to resize the .45 Colt brass would mean excessive working of the mouth of the case as the bullet is seated. This results in split cases, way too soon. Quel bummer!

Some corners ain't worth cutting. The best way to save money on reloading dies is to find some good used stuff at a gun show. If the innards of the sizer-die isn't visibly scored, it'll work--particularly for the .45 Colt. I'd recommend carbide dies for the ACP, since it would most likely be used far more often.

FWIW, Art
Old April 1, 2000, 07:52 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

For some reason, Hornady thinks they have a combination 45 ACP/45 Colt die set. After one session with it, it was obvious to me that they were wrong. I still use the Hornady for 45 Colt but had to get a dedicated 45 ACP die set. IOW, the above responses are right on the money, that is, don't try to save any by using a single die set for both cals.