The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2016, 07:59 AM   #1
jmar

Need Help Identifying Rifle

Hello everyone i'm new here, i was recently at the buffalo bill museum in Cody WY and i took a lot of pictures of guns i thought were interesting. This particular gun was my favorite rifle. I also took pictures of their names but i accidentally took a picture of somethings next to its description instead. So can any of you help me out? I'd love to buy a rifle like this. Thanks!

Old March 2, 2016, 08:10 AM   #2
GeorgeStrickland

ID

Three possibilities all are related
1 Dutch trade musket
2 Hudson Valley Fowler
3 Boucanier Gun
Old March 2, 2016, 02:36 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Pictures are too big and I don't think that is as rifle. I think it's a shotgun with missing lock parts. George's Hudson Valley Fowler is a shotgun.
Got any smaller pictures of the whole thing?
Old March 2, 2016, 03:32 PM   #4
gyvel

Well, it was a flintlock at one time, but the cock and frizzen are gone.
SIFE
Old March 2, 2016, 09:50 PM   #5
jmar

Thanks for the replies guys! No more pictures unfortunately, if it is one of those rifles then i'm guessing the stock is a custom one. So does anybody have recommendations on a rifle to start with? I could just carve my stock to look similar as that's what catches my eye.

Id like a percussion cap gun with as thick of a barrel as possible, those classic heavy target rifles have always fascinated me. There's to many reproductions to search through i'm sure some of you guys have experience with a lot of these! Thanks
Old March 2, 2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Looks like any other neglected Kentucky type rifle, octagon barrel, flintlock with cock and frizzed lost off, rust.
Except for the huge groove rather neatly routed out of the stock. And the red paint job.
I have no idea.

Jmar ,
For large diameter barrels, search on "muzzleloading benchrest rifle" and "chunk gun".
Old March 3, 2016, 07:27 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't figure out the stock. It looks like it was made deliberately with that sort of "spike" pointing forward, but I have a hard time trying to envision the purpose of such a thing. Could it have been made for someone who was handicapped in some way?

Jim
Old March 3, 2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Hawg

Maybe if you dropped your haversack out of a canoe you could use it to fish it back out.
Old March 12, 2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Jim Watson

FOUND IT!

I still don't know what the strange flute in the stock is for, but I found one advertised for sale... in the 1911 Alfa catalog, as the "Boucanier" with "special stock shape" and "vermillion finish."

So, is this some sort of late colonial trade gun or is it what the Boucanier was copied from?