The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2016, 03:50 PM   #1
56 kodiak shooter

asm 1851 navy

I recently bought a asm 1851 navy in 36 cal., my question is , is this a descent gun or junk, I paid 150.00 it look like it never been shot
Old February 21, 2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Hawg

ASM quality was it or miss. Some of them had soft internal parts that wore out fast. If it's a brass frame keep powder charges under 20 grains.
Old February 21, 2016, 05:01 PM   #3
AKexpat

I think we would all like to know what the date code is (in Roman numerals/Arabic numbers or alphabetic characters) on the right side of the frame. The Roman numerals will not appear in a rectangle, but the alphabetic characters will. Does it have Italian proof marks on the frame, barrel, cylinder? If not, it is probably a kit gun.

Hawg is correct insofar as the quality, depending on the date code.

Pictures are always useful.

Thanks,

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Last edited by AKexpat; February 21, 2016 at 05:06 PM.