The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Which round is better at 500- 1000 yards?

Good morning all. I need anyone's opinion of the following .270, .243, . 25-06, 7MM? Due to a $$ reduction in my pocketbook, I am finding various rifles that are on sale that only include these calibers. Was curious what anyone thought of these, because whatever I buy and when I do, I'll reload everything. Also, where would I find these caliber brass and bullets? I know the 308 and .30-06, which are what I am most familiar with are great and fairly easy to find, but not sure of the others. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Slamfire

Those 6mm bullets have great long range ballistics.

They also will eat your barrel throat out in 1500 rounds.

I don't think anyone should be shooting at anything but paper at 500-1000 yards.

Anyone who is game hunting at that distance is more likely to wound an animal, which then runs off and dies a suffering death.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
kraigwy

If you reload, all the cart. you mention can be made to do good at 1000 yards.

Dont get hung up on the ideal that it has to be a 30 cal to shoot long range.

But you didnt say what you are shooting.

I have never felt the need to shoot game at anything over 200 yards or so.

I've shot a heck of a lot of 1000 yard matches in the last 30 years. I picked up a thing or two about long range shooting during that time.

I still limit my hunting to about 200 yards.

But thats just me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 3, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Emerson

Better for what? Accuracy or killing prairie dogs, or larger game animals?

If you're going to be shooting past 500 yds your selection of caliber, cartridge and barrel twist are all important.

All the cartridges you mentioned can be made to shoot well at 500+ yds but not all rifles in those calibers are up to the task. If you plan on shooting at those ranges you should be considering bullets with the highest ballistic coefficient which are typically heavier and longer than comparable hunting bullets and require a faster twist in order to stabilize.
Old December 3, 2009, 04:50 PM   #5
James R. Burke

Good advice Captain Stuart.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Solvo Pium

Targets vs. game

Mainly for target shooting, however, if I am shooting at targets between 500-1000 yards, I should (in theory) have no problem shooting game under 500 yards. I am in agreement that around 200 yards is a good distance between me and my game being targeted.

We just had a little girl, so I am having to scale back on what I would like to buy, i.e. rifle, Academy has some pretty good prices at the calibers that I mentioned in the beginning thread. I was initially wanting a .308 or .30-06, but the other calibers seem to be fine for target practice. Are there any websites that I can go to for me to order brass and bullets for those mentioned calibers?
Old December 3, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
darkgael

order

Quote:
. Are there any websites that I can go to for me to order brass and bullets for those mentioned calibers?
Yes.

http://www.grafs.com/shooting/
http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

To name three.
Pete
Old December 3, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
Solvo Pium

Thanks darkagel

Appreciate the sites, will check up on them.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:53 PM   #9
impalacustom

Quote:

Those 6mm bullets have great long range ballistics.

They also will eat your barrel throat out in 1500 rounds.
If your shooting something like a 243 AI or 6XC and such then yes your throat will be hurting a bit but that's only because your using a lot of fast burning powder.

I have a 243 BAR that has many thousands of rounds through it and still is accurate and doesn't have throat erosion like my 6 Super-X does.

Another thing to remember is if your shooting the big 105-117gr 6mm bullets your going to need a fast twist barrel, and no one offers one from the factory.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:22 PM   #10
andrew66

what do u intend on hunting? if u wish to hunt at long range, i would probably suggest the 7mm. unless its varmints
Old December 4, 2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Hog Buster

The good Captain is correct. However I've shot a few of those 1000 yarders in years past and found that the heavier bullets were a bit more stable and bucked the wind better.
Let's see if I remember..........Hold 16 feet high and squeeze..........gently. Semper Fi
Old December 4, 2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Winterhawk56

Nothing like dropping in on something Hog!