The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Farmerbob4u

Am I weird?

I've been shooting for a number of years. Not very good, but adequate. Like most, I have always used my index finger as my trigger finger. I was playing around a few days ago and discovered that if I use my middle finger on the trigger, and lay my index finger along side the frame, I am much more accurate. Tried two different 9mm's and a .22. Cuts my pattern size by half...5-7" at 30 feet down to 3-4". Has anyone else tried or experienced this?
Old October 28, 2018, 01:48 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not common, but it's not unheard of either.

I suspect that one reason it hasn't gone mainstream is that taking the middle finger off the grip to function as a trigger finger likely reduces the ability to control recoil for fast follow-up shots.
Old October 28, 2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Chaparral

When I was a boy I was honored enough to listen to Stan Musial talk to little leaguers. I have always remembered him saying," Don't try to copy me and my batting stance, or any other batter, develop the stance and swing that provides you with the best hits." I know there are great gun teachers out there who will teach the popular shooting stances and this and that. And I am sure these are proven methods to shoot well. But we are all different and if someone has a way of shooting that best fits them, let them shoot that way. I know right handed people who shoot left. This baffles me. And, like my wife, she is right eye dominant but shoots with her left eye. This is even more baffling to me. I have quit trying to change her on the range.
Old October 28, 2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Drm50

One time in my 20s I had my trigger finger pulled out of joint. Doc put it back and put a split over it and taped it into place. It was just to protect it for a couple days until swelling and soreness left it. Got home that night and my old
man had bought a Rem M8 auto loading rifle off a guy at work. We decided to
try it out. My OM & brother were having all the fun. I decided I would take a few
shots using my middle finger with trigger finger laying up the side of action. I
will never forget it. When rifle recoiled the bolt handle drove the end of my trigger finger like a hammer. I'm great believer in using you trigger finger on the
trigger. Another thing I have noticed is "gun experts" on tv that lay their thumb
along side the stock. This looks clumsy to me. Might be alright for a bench shooter but doesn't give you much control over a rifle that recoils. Reminds me
of Sgt.York movie were guy has his thumb stuck up and gets it in the eye when
he shoots.
Old October 28, 2018, 03:39 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
Another thing I have noticed is "gun experts" on tv that lay their thumb
along side the stock. This looks clumsy to me. Might be alright for a bench shooter but doesn't give you much control over a rifle that recoil
I had read that the reason for this was that some older military rifles will bite you with the cocking piece in the event of a gas leak (pierced primer or case head separation) ..... and then it happened to me.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=422346
Old October 28, 2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Old Stony

The index finger is best for trigger work....the social finger is best used to aid you in driving in California traffic.
Old October 28, 2018, 04:11 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

I remember seeing a fellow on youtube who used the middle finger for shooting. He claimed that one could use the index along the gun for pointing and the middle finger for trigger.

Since we naturally point at objects, he claimed that using this method, he could point shoot at targets with relative accuracy.
Old October 28, 2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Sgt127

That’s how my dad shot. I asked him why and he answered in a usual way. “It works for me.” Pretty hard to argue with that logic.

I would be really cautious of that technique with .357 Magnum and up. Your finger is likely very close the the barrel cylinder gap. That gap can act like a plasma cutter on bare skin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeSifTdEATo
Old October 28, 2018, 07:11 PM   #9
Sevens

There was an older gentlemen that did gun shows here locally, if I recall correctly he did a lot of accessories and parts and install and small armorer/service work on Glocks, at the show while you wait. If my memory isn't fooling me, he used to suggest this from his little booth at the shows, unless I'm confusing him with someone else.

As I simply love owning and shooting handguns and I'm neither a competitor nor Elite Operator... I'm in favor of all methods if they are safe and enjoyable. I myself, would probably have to lose a finger to ever wish to try to use my middle finger as a trigger finger.
Old October 28, 2018, 08:05 PM   #10
BillM

There was a guy on a LOT of forums about 4-5 years ago who was on a crusade
about using the middle finger. IIRC he had a point shoot system that was built
around pointing with the index finger and using the middle finger to pull the
trigger. Had a website too--but I can not recall what he called his method.
He never developed much traction that I am aware of. I've tried it--but after
60 years of using the index finger I see where they get that saying about old dogs and new tricks.

ETA: I think this is the website this guy was pushing several years ago. Interesting read.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1amiddle.htm

Last edited by BillM; October 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 28, 2018, 09:56 PM   #11
jmr40

I had an Uncle who once told me that was the proper way to do it when I was playing with one of my toy guns. I was just a kid and several years from being able to actually shoot a real gun. He was a former Marine, so for a long time I thought that was the best way. Until I found out that he was in the Artillery.

That style won't work for me. Not enough grip on the gun. But if it works for you then go for it.

Winston Churchill
Old October 29, 2018, 03:44 PM   #12
Leaf

It wasn't unusual for people to use their middle finger to pull the trigger on their High Standard .22 mag derringer while one's index finger was pointed at the intended target. That wasn't too uncommon for that firearm assuming one's finger wasn't too long. I was never comfortable firing mine that way even though my hands aren't big. I know how shaky and nervous one can get in a life or death situation while being shot at and never cared to underestimate my ability to find some dumb ass way to shoot off the tip of my finger.
Old October 29, 2018, 04:42 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
never cared to underestimate my ability to find some dumb ass way to shoot off the tip of my finger.
...but at least you would never have to worry about that happening again with the little derrengeri
Old October 29, 2018, 04:50 PM   #14
Leaf

HVR, not to mention how impressive it would look for me to show people how far I could sink my "index finger" into a nostril but I guess that is getting a wee bit off topic. Realistically, it problem would do wonders for my trigger pull. Hold on, I think that is supposed to be called "trigger press" these days.

Last edited by Leaf; October 29, 2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old October 29, 2018, 06:41 PM   #15
gw44

Hay if it works go for it, I am right handed but shoot better left handed !!!
Old October 29, 2018, 07:02 PM   #16
Jim Watson

I had one of those HS derringers and fired it with the middle finger. Otherwise not.

There was a poster here a few years ago who advocated the method along with "point shooting."
Old October 30, 2018, 03:08 AM   #17
b.thomas

Been forty-five plus years ago, but I had a older friend who lost a index finger on his right hand in work accident. (Stamping machine)
Never saw him shoot a handgun but he was a wizard with a model 12 shotgun.
Old October 30, 2018, 03:34 AM   #18
Brit

Met a recent transplanted South African in Canada, a few years ago. George had a missing fingertip on his left hand. I knew him for a while before I asked him about it!

Press checking a .45 1911! he said. His Glock 17 gave him a visual indicator to prove a round was chambered, a sitting proud extractor!
I still use that on my carry Glock 19. Couldn't carry in Toronto!
Old October 30, 2018, 08:27 AM   #19
Erno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Another thing I have noticed is "gun experts" on tv that lay their thumb
along side the stock. This looks clumsy to me. Might be alright for a bench shooter but doesn't give you much control over a rifle that recoils. Reminds me
Laying your firing hand thumb alongside a rifle stock is also supposed to help prevent a flinch; instead of gripping the thumb around the stock. The support arm for the rifle, is one of the main sources for recoil control and muzzle flip.

My middle finger...is a main source of grip pressure for my 1911's and revolvers.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; October 30, 2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old October 30, 2018, 08:51 AM   #20
stephen426

I've done the same thing before myself. My reason for doing it though, was as a method of point shooting. By laying my index finger along the side of the frame, it was essentially pointing at whatever I was shooting. Pointing is so instinctive that you can look at an object, close your eyes, and still point at it (pretty closely). The other thing is that the index finger along side the frame keeps you from pulling the gun to the side when pulling the trigger.

The ability to control the gun for follow up shots is obviously very important, but with a two-handed grip, it isn't a problem. Also, make sure you are using the pad of the finger to pull the trigger.
Old October 30, 2018, 10:17 AM   #21
Wag

Watched a guy at a shotgun competition who had lost part of his shooting hand in some kind of accident. He had a strip of Velcro mounted to the stock and the other side of the Velcro on a glove that he wore on the deformed hand. He was truly a master shooter, though he was a true professional shooter before the accident.

Ya have to do what works for you. Like closing an eye..... Somehow, I don't think it would work for me, but I may have to try it on some of the smaller handguns I shoot.

--Wag--
Old October 30, 2018, 12:41 PM   #22
gwpercle

Never tried it...but had never thought about using the middle finger.
One thing about shooting....if it works for you , use it .
Of course you will hear a brazillion reasons why this is wrong and should not be done but my thought is ...there is more than one way to skin a squirrel !

A high school buddy lost the end of his index finger, back to the first joint , to a ...meat grinder !!!
and now that I think about it , he shot with the middle finger on the trigger, handguns, rifle and shotguns...never slowed him down at all .
Gary
Old October 30, 2018, 12:47 PM   #23
HighValleyRanch

I imagine that some folks have way more experience using their middle fingers than others!
Old November 1, 2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Prof Young

Hmmm . . . interesting.

My six year old grandson tends to put his middle finger on the trigger of the bb gun. I'm tried to help him change that. Maybe I shouldn't. Or at least not until he has figured out how to aim.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 1, 2018, 01:53 PM   #25
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerbob4u
Am I weird?
Only if you do it, aren't more accurate, and keep doing it.

Otherwise, you're just a better shot.