The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 13, 2018, 07:29 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

357 ammo is recently expensive. New tariffs?

It's been this summer. 357 online was always in the 16 dollar range. It's now low mid 20s for the same factory brands.

Lack of interest killing demand pushing up prices? Tariff costs finally hitting ammo manufactures and they are shifting it to 357 and not the others (9mm really low right now)...what gives?
Old September 13, 2018, 09:33 AM   #2
HiBC

With all due respect to the Moderators,sometimes a political statement gets through and the propaganda value stands until there is a rebuttal.Then,of course,political squabbles are off topic.

Obviously,President Trump has been entirely too busy creating and amplifying hurricanes and every other perceived or imagined or made up discomfort or inconvenience or tragedy on the planet for the last couple of years,does he have time to raise the price of your ammo? Maybe thats what Sessions has been doing.
No,they are raising .357 ammo prices due to lost AR-15 revenue and checking the age of elementary school kids who want to spend their milk,cigarrette and pot money on handgun ammo.
Obama's EPA killing USA's lead indusry had nothing to do with the price of ammo,of course.

It must be true,we hear it on all the same fake news media that were yukking it up and laughing at his candidacy right up till election day 2016.Then they cried.Its fun to watch that over again on youtube once in a while...Mika,Joe,Rachel,Chris...all melting like the witch on Wizard of Oz after a bucket of water.A testament to credibility.

OR,I have a good idea. I hear and read way too much popular(and unpopular) political trash propaganda every place else in society.

How about we make this a place to take a rest from it?

I"ll try not to mention that folks having jobs and keeping more income makes it easier to come up with $ to buy ammo...and the likely seating of a second Supreme Court Justice that believes in the Constitution and what it says,like "The right of The PEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms..."

Time will tell,who knows what No Korea will do,but they seem to be adjusting .

I never forget,the only other option was Hillary Clinton

How do you suppose buying .357 handgun ammo would be if Trump had lost?

Last edited by HiBC; September 13, 2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Ben Dover

AMEN!!

The price of .357 ammo, like the price of milk, butter, steel "I" beams and services in a whorehouse are controlled by supply and demand,

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:09 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Don't you know the price of everything goes up after Labor Day??
Old September 13, 2018, 10:13 AM   #5
603Country

And isn’t there some rule about white shoes after Labor Day?
Old September 13, 2018, 01:55 PM   #6
reddog81

Ammoseek still shows a bunch of sellers with .357 Mag in the $12 to $15 range. It's all steel cased and I have no idea where it's made but it is definitely still out there. At the $15 to $20 range you start getting into the brass cased stuff sold by companies with decent reputations.

I can't see how the tariffs would effect ammo that much. The amount of steel in a box of steel cased stuff is probably only worth pennies at most. Lead, gunpowder and primers would for the most part be made in the US and from US sourced materials, I'd guess...

There's no way the manufacturers are shifting tariff costs from 9mm to .357. That would be a terrible idea.
Old September 13, 2018, 03:15 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Apparently you aren't aware about what's about to happen to all Tula ammo out of Russia either? It may all be important ban in November.

Steel tariff. It has an affect on all metal products.

You can't defend a known issue that is affecting the global market.
Old September 13, 2018, 03:21 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

From my SGammo newsletter today:

"I would encourage customers that use 7.62x39 ammo to do some research about what is going on in the US government regarding sanctions on Russia, and you will find that if Russia does not submit to UN inspections of chemical facilities that there is a massive sanction package that is set to go into effect in or around November. If that happens it is basically an embargo where there will be no imports from Russia and no exports to Russia. That means no 7.62x39 ammo will be available in the USA at cheap prices, and that also means no 5.45x39 at all. Russia also produces approximately 20% to 30% of the range ammo used in other calibers such as 223 Rem, 9mm, 308 Win and if you take that ammo out of the market then supply and demand will be way out of balance for many different calibers of low cost range ammunition. "
Old September 13, 2018, 04:15 PM   #9
Salmoneye

"Possible Significant Additional Sanctions

Additional significant sanctions are possible unless, within 3 months after making the determination under the CBW Act (likely on or around November 22, 2018), the President certifies to Congress that Russia (i) is no longer using chemical or biological weapons in violation of international law or using lethal chemical or biological weapons against its own nationals, (ii) has provided reliable assurances that it will not in the future engage in any such activities, and (iii) is willing to allow on-site inspections by UN or other observers. The additional sanctions required by the CBW Act in this instance are three or more of the following:

Export ban with respect to all goods and technology except for food and agricultural commodities.
Import ban: a ban on importation into the United States of articles grown, produced, or manufactured in Russia.
Air transportation ban: suspension of authority of air carriers directly or indirectly owned by the Russian government to engage in air transportation to or from the United States.
Bank loan prohibition: US banks could be prohibited from making any loan or providing credit to the Russian Government except with respect to the purchase of food and agricultural commodities
Multilateral development bank assistance: the United States would oppose loans or financial or technical assistance to Russia by international financial institutions.
Diplomatic relations: downgrade or suspension of diplomatic relations between the United States and Russia."

Fair Use (<50% and attribution of article):

http://sanctionsnews.bakermckenzie.c...e-agent-in-uk/
Old September 13, 2018, 04:31 PM   #10
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Apparently you aren't aware about what's about to happen to all Tula ammo out of Russia either? It may all be important ban in November.

Well an import ban could have an effect, however that was not mentioned in the previous posts...

The value of the metal in a cartridge is very small. Additionally the tariff only applies to raw steel to be manufactured into products. If tariffs were applied directly to ammo that would be a different story.

One year ago copper was over $3.00 per pound. Today Copper is under $2.75 per pound. You didn't mention what ammo you were looking at, but at $20+ per box i'm guessing the price of copper is what you should be looking at anyways.
Old September 13, 2018, 04:38 PM   #11
HiBC

Hmmm. Darn.Hate to see anybody's ammo dry up.

You'd think Pres Trump would have more consideration with foreign policy regarding cheap steel case Russian Ammo.

I mean,how important is spraying chemical and biological weapons on people?

Priorities,Mr President!

Ever considered a Dillon and a few 5 gallon buckets of once fired?
Old September 13, 2018, 04:40 PM   #12
FITASC

357 is not loaded in sufficient quantities from a manufacturer's viewpoint, thus per unit prices are higher, thus cost goes up.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 13, 2018, 09:10 PM   #13
wild cat mccane

Agreed. But most 357 loads are much higher as of this summer.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:50 PM   #14
Mike38

Do people target shoot with .357 magnum ammo? Why would you when there's .38 Special? I seriously don't know. The only center fire revolver I own is a .38 Spcl as I feel no need for a .357. I like punching holes in the X-ring, and a .38 Spcl does that much better than a .357. Yea, a .357 is a better self defense round, but how often do you shoot full powder loads at targets?
Old September 14, 2018, 07:00 AM   #15
wild cat mccane

I plink with 357, so I know what I'm saying on these prices being up start of this summer.

I personally find 9mm outperforms 38/357. In HST, the 9mm does better than a lot of 357 loads according to the Lucky Gunner ammo test.

I only shoot 357 for the thrill of it. At $24 a box, that's getting spicy quick for just generic 158gr Foichhi--which has a plant in Canada.
Old September 14, 2018, 07:27 AM   #16
HiBC

Full power .357's are cheap and easy to reload.

If steelcase .223's are too high,get 5 gal buckets of once fired and Hornady bulk 55 gr FMJ is cheap and accurate.

Dillon presses are great A 1050 can even trim and decrimp along with every thing else.

Too many people litter the earth with those steel cases.Ought to charge deposit on them,like pop bottles.

Instead of sending money to Russia (who poison gasses innocent civilian children) spend it to USA workers at Dillon,Hornady,Montana Gold,Hogdon,CCI,and those who recycle brass,or Starline.

You gonna collude with Russians,or Make America Great Again?

Last edited by HiBC; September 14, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:14 AM   #17
reddog81

Classic Firearms has 158 grain .357 Fiocchi for $16.16 per box.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:24 AM   #18
603Country

I can’t remember the last time I bought factory 38 or 357 ammo. I did buy some 9 and 380 a while back. But generally I load my own.

And, just to say it, if factory 357 costs way more than factory 38, then it isn’t due to raw material costs. Might have something to do with the actual bullet. Some of the modern super duper projectiles are expensive.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Ben Dover

The beauty of the free market system, is that if a supply dries up, prices will only increase in the short term until some entrepreneur decides to "tool up" and supply the market again.

If Bugati stops making million dollar+ cars, someone else will make them as long as there is a market for them.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 14, 2018, 09:34 AM   #20
USSR

Quote:

There seems to be a cause and effect problem here. For example, Russian made primers haven't been available for a couple of years now. They pulled out of the U.S. market long before there was any talk about tariffs or an import ban. You can't just say that because something is happening, it must be because of something else happening. This is exactly what the "climate change/global warming" folks are doing.

Don
Old September 14, 2018, 10:19 AM   #21
kenny53

We all know the price of 357 mag and the hurricane are the president's fault. I buy 357 in the mid teens if I find it in the twenties I don't buy it.

Mike 38 ask why people would plink with 357? I like the feel of the recoil.
Old September 14, 2018, 10:22 AM   #22
Nanuk

Quote:
And, just to say it, if factory 357 costs way more than factory 38, then it isn’t due to raw material costs. Might have something to do with the actual bullet. Some of the modern super duper projectiles are expensive.
Marketing. No need for super bullets in the 357 mag.

Quote:
Do people target shoot with .357 magnum ammo?
Yes

Quote:
Why would you when there's .38 Special?
Why not?

Quote:
I seriously don't know.
The information is available.

Quote:
The only center fire revolver I own is a .38 Spcl as I feel no need for a .357.
You are limiting yourself.

Quote:
I like punching holes in the X-ring, and a .38 Spcl does that much better than a .357.
No, a 38 is no more accurate than a 357, your ability makes the difference, not the gun or the cartridge.

Quote:
Yea, a .357 is a better self defense round, but how often do you shoot full powder loads at targets?
Without a doubt. Every time I shoot my 357's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Last edited by Nanuk; September 14, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old September 14, 2018, 11:57 AM   #23
T. O'Heir

The 16 dollar range is cheap. A box of .357 ammo starts at $35Cdn up here. Has to do with government interference, the exchange rate, everything being paid for in USD, gas prices and the fact that everything runs about 100% more here.

Last edited by JohnKSa; September 14, 2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: politics
Old September 16, 2018, 06:55 PM   #24
MikeG

Trump Derangement Syndrome aside, some .357 Magnum has gone up.
In 2015, the 100 round box of Remington 125SJHP was $26 at Walmart. This summer, after a long absence, it reappeared and was $53. The 50 round box of Winchester 110JHP is now $27. At least it is back on the market
Old September 16, 2018, 07:04 PM   #25
flashhole

I don't get people who complain about ammo prices when they can learn to handload and make their own for a lot less money.

Are you ready for civil war?
Closed Thread