The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 13, 2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Trapp

22lr suppressor

So I am considering a 22 suppressor. I know there are a few very reputable manufactures, I've done a bit of research. I would however like a little real world input. This will be my first, hopefully not my last. Here is a list of criteria etc...:
1. Durable: I do not "Baby" my guns. They are hunks of steel and wood/polymer, and I treat them that way.
2. Versatile: 1/2X28 threads, able to mount on multiple 22's from pistols to rifles.
3. Quiet: Some claim up to 40+ db of suppression. Is this the same as car amplifiers that claim "Peak Power"?
4. Warranty: Self explanitory
5. User Friendly: Able to clean easily, take apart and put back together without issues, etc...
6. Size does not matter I really don't care how big it is, being quiet is more important.
Old March 13, 2007, 02:49 PM   #2
VUPDblue

If you want to take it apart, look at the Tactical Innovations TAC 67. All stainless construction and ~37db reduction.

OK, so they stopped making the Tac67. Now Tactial Innovations has the Quest. All stainless, very quiet, guaranteed, can be disassembled for cleaning. What more could you want?

Last edited by VUPDblue; March 13, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old March 13, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3
stanger04

Aren't suppressors illegal unless you have a class III
Old March 13, 2007, 07:29 PM   #4
VUPDblue

No suppressors aren't illegal (generally) FedGov doesn't consider them illegal, but it does regulate them via registration, background check and tax. You have to pay FedGov a one time $200 tax for each NFA weapon you want to register, providing that it is legal in your state. Any more questions or misconceptions I can answer for you...
Old March 13, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
BigLebowski65

For a little real world input: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/
Old March 13, 2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Crosshair

Tactical Innovation is gona be the place you want to go look. The TAC-67 is out of production, the Quest has replaced it. (However if you find someone who has a TAC-67 to sell, by all means go for it.) I own a .223 TAC-16 suppressor and like it very much.

The TacInc suppressors may not be the quietest, smallest, quickest to put on/take off, or lightest, but they are durable and affordable.
Old March 14, 2007, 03:01 AM   #7
stanger04

thanks I got what you're saying u can get if but it'll cost so much u better really want it.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:19 AM   #8
Trapp

Stanger04: You can get them for less than some new/used guns. The tac/inno's cost around $200. You pay the $200 tax and the total is less than $500 (sales tax included).
Old March 14, 2007, 10:58 AM   #9
stanger04

true but then say on a handgun you alson have to buy a new barrel the one of those thread caps or have your barrel threaded like on a beretta 92 so then there's another say 200 then 200 for the silencer and then 200 just for the gov. that's 600. I think it'd be nice for target shooter due to the lower volumes but for 600 I think I'll wait.
Old March 14, 2007, 02:34 PM   #10
VUPDblue

Stanger, first off, please learn how to type in complete sentences, it makes your posts MUCH easier to read. Second, if you want to attach a can to say a Walther P22, you just have to buy the thread adapter. That'll cost you about $40. So if you already had the pistol, you could get the can and thread adapter for less than $500. Best part is that your one can can migrate to various host weapons. I have my P22, 10/22, AR conversion, and 77/22 all threaded to accept my Gemtech Outback II. I have a guy that does the thread work for me and he charges $60 each barrel. It is not as cost-prohibitive as you might think.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:08 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Stranger, yeah, +1, man...you're killing us here with that excruciating read. Please please use capitalization and puntuation. It's not just our preferences, it's actually in the forum rules here....

I too am interested in this subject. I'm just not sure I want to be on "the list" of owners ( ), so I haven't taken the plunge yet. But I REALLY want to suppress my .22lr atchisson/ceiner conversion for AR15 using my Aguila SSS - it's already threaded of course for 1/2 x 28 tpi.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:50 PM   #12
Trapp

FF: On the sites that I have looked at, they do not recommend Aguilas SSS. They state due to instability it may damage the baffles. Some won't honor the warranty if you use it.

On another note, I have read about barrels with a special twist just for the SSS. I think they were only for the 10/22 though.
Old March 14, 2007, 07:12 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Thank you Trapp - interesting; hmmm.

I posted a thread a year or so back (maybe less), showing the very good accuracy I get with the Bushmaster 1 in 9" twist barrel, with the Aguila SSS, with the Atchisson/Ceiner .22lr conversion. It obturates and stabilizes, both. The SSS rounds suck nards in most any standard .22 with the 1 in 16" twist. The SSS and 1 in 9 is a match made in heaven, though! Thanks again.
Old March 14, 2007, 08:09 PM   #14
stanger04

Sorry I was in a big hurry. Well, the reason I say a lot is I have a Glock 19 and a Beretta 9000s that I would be interested in doing the same thing to. I'm tired of the yankees that moved here mad that I shoot on my own property. No offense to anyone in particular just my neighbors.
Old March 16, 2007, 10:39 AM   #15
VUPDblue

Just a thought, but if you are planning on suppressing a Glock or any other Browning action, you are going to need a L.I.D or Nielsen Device to appropriately deal with the tilting barrel design or else you won't get proper functionality. You don't need one of these devices if you are suppressing, say, a Beretta 92 or clone.