The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 17, 2018, 10:12 AM   #26
zukiphile

My recollection, possibly wrong, was that Zumbo's article concluded that the AR15 has "no place" in our hunting fraternity. I didn't recall any specific regulation he proposed.

The form of argument "The 2d Am. really protects X" where X variously is self-defense, armed insurrection, pistols, rifles, "black" rifles, hunting arms, militia weapons or sporting arms implies that the 2d Am. doesn't protect the others unmentioned. It's a commonly expressed position, but it implies that "not X" isn't protected.

The idea that what I like is a constitutional right, but what you do is open to legislative prohibition is a noose for everyone to hang separately.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:00 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
The form of argument "The 2d Am. really protects X" where X variously is self-defense, armed insurrection, pistols, rifles, "black" rifles, hunting arms, militia weapons or sporting arms implies that the 2d Am. doesn't protect the others unmentioned. It's a commonly expressed position, but it implies that "not X" isn't protected.
Exactly. How many years did the mainstream say that our right to arms was for "sporting purposes" (to the point that the BATFE based their decisions on what foreign firearms could be imported on whether or not the firearm met their point total for a "sporting arm")? And then along came Heller, and Mr. Justice Scalia wrote that the "core" right protected by the Second Amendment was self defense. WHAAAAT? Whoa! Paradign Shift!

But ... he didn't say that was the only right protected, only that it's the "core" right. (I don't agree, but he wore a black robe and I don't, so ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
The idea that what I like is a constitutional right, but what you do is open to legislative prohibition is a noose for everyone to hang separately.
That's basically what I was trying to say. Thanks for expressing it succinctly.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:16 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The distinction is noted, but it's a very nuanced distinction IMHO. There is a famous saying (variously attributed to both Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine), "If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately."
It's not nuanced at all. Would you denigrate an abortion rights organization for not also making gun rights part of their platform? Would you denigrate a conservation society for not including the right to free speech in their lobbying efforts?

Earlier in the thread you correctly made the point that "The Safari Club is about hunting and conservation. Getting their feet wet and their hands dirty in the debate about school shootings, banning "assault weapons," and restricting handgun magazine capacity is outside their charter." and that is precisely why:

1. I don't see them as a gun rights organization.
2. I don't have a problem with the fact that they don't explicitly make all aspects of firearms rights part of their platform and lobbying efforts.

If they were to tout themselves as a gun rights organization (as opposed to a "hunting and conservation" organization) then I would evaluate them on that basis and the results of the evaluation would be much different.
Quote:
...Zumbo's article concluded that the AR15 has "no place" in our hunting fraternity. I didn't recall any specific regulation he proposed.
The exact quote was: "I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods."

That's obviously not the same thing as banning ownership, but it does fit the definition of calling for specific regulations, IMO.
Old March 17, 2018, 03:48 PM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

I think Safari Club understands the hang together or hang separately dynamic very well and they are very good at implementing that subtly; but at the end of the day zapping an elephant in the head with a $35,000 Holland & Holland rifle is a higher priority than your handgun or black rifle.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:01 AM   #30
Prndll

Well, I finally decided today to make some kind of move and start putting my money where my mouth is.

With the fact that JohnSKa has his signature line with a link to the TSRA that always seems to get my attention, I decide it was time for me to join. I now have a 3 year membership to the Texas State Rifle Association and should be getting things in the mail in the near future. I've been feeling the need for some time now. That might have been part of what drew me in here to begin with. Well, that and a need to get away from so much of the craziness that takes place with other sites. I am a Texan and will always be a Texan. So it just makes sense to start at home.
Old March 18, 2018, 01:10 AM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
So it just makes sense to start at home.
The state organizations are often overlooked, but they are often extremely effective at blocking anti-gun legislation and getting pro-gun legislation passed.

What's more impressive, they often do so in spite of small membership numbers. TSRA, last time I checked, had fewer than 50,000 members and yet it gets the job done--almost every legislative session marks another victory (or two) for the TSRA and its agenda. When it comes to investing in gun rights, the state organizations can provide a lot of bang for the buck.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:05 AM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The state organizations are often overlooked, but they are often extremely effective at blocking anti-gun legislation and getting pro-gun legislation passed.
Something else we want to bear in mind: after they failed to get federal legislature in 2013, Bloomberg and his proxies switched to a "state by state" strategy. They're hammering state legislatures, and if they're quick and persuasive enough, they can get regulations passed before the public even notices. It's very much worth looking at how they succeeded in Colorado.

The NRA is big, but they can only move so fast and put out so many fires at once. State-level groups can sometimes be more responsive.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:31 AM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Something else we want to bear in mind: after they failed to get federal legislature in 2013, Bloomberg and his proxies switched to a "state by state" strategy. They're hammering state legislatures, and if they're quick and persuasive enough, they can get regulations passed before the public even notices. It's very much worth looking at how they succeeded in Colorado.
This is very true. We have been seeing the same thing in my state. I'm fortunate (well, as fortunate as I can be, given that I'm stuck in a basically anti-gun state) that we have a very pro-active membership group (of which I have been an active member for several years) that monitors the legislature and has been fairly successful in holding back the tide of draconian legislation. We can't stop all of them, but we have a decent batting average (better than Ted Williams!).
Old March 20, 2018, 04:44 AM   #34
Kimio

I’ve still got mixed feelings, but I’ll continue looking at sending money to the NRA ILA, but it sure does seem like they’re caving to the pressures of the anti-gun lobbies. Their initial support for the latest draconian gun law bill leaves me especially skeptical if they sill have the spine left in them to even fight.

I’ve not been on this planet long enough to really say, but listening to those who are much wiser in this fight tells me that, like it or not, the NRA is the biggest dog on the block with the strongest bite. I don’t like it, but if anything, donating and participating will hopefully allow me to help get leadership in the NRA that is stronger and holds their ground better than the leaders of the NRA that I’m seeing currently.

We shall I suppose. I’ll need to look into local pro-gun groups in AZ as well. Withthe way things are going, things are looking darker than ever before it seems. Even more so than when Obama was in office it seems.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:43 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

Posts about leftists and liberals!

Don't go there. We do pro and antigun. If you haven't noticed so-called conservatives have been right there with laws and gun restrictions after Parkland. Don't be naive.

Next time it will be an infraction. If you want to do politics, go elsewhere.