The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 07:33 AM   #1
nanney1

.40 cal ammo?

I was under the impression that .40 cal ammo was pricier than 9mm. I went to one website and saw that it was more expensive. And then went to another site I've purchased from, and it was very similar in price to 9mm.

Have any of you found that if you shop around that you can find .40 similarly priced to 9mm?
Old March 16, 2018, 08:13 AM   #2
dean1818

yep

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 16, 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
lamarw

I reload so I only have to shop around on reloading supplies. I have read where .40 is in less demand after a lot of LE activities changed back over to 9mm. One might assume you are seeing the results of supply and demand. It could change around once the bubble has bust and supply goes down by attrition.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
reddog81

Cheap 9mm can be found for $8.50 to $9.00 per box. Cheap .40 ammo starts at $10 a box. The prices are comparable but it would be uncommon to find the same .40 ammo cheaper than 9mm.

Moderately priced 9mm ammo is going to cost more than cheap .40 ammo.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Ammo prices in general have gone way down from a few years ago. I've noticed that both 40sw and 45acp are much closer in price to 9mm than they used to be.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 16, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
Ammo prices in general have gone way down from a few years ago.
And it's worth mentioning that this is because we're on the downhill side of two major ammo buying frenzies and the exit of most U.S. and NATO forces from Iraq and Afghanistan. This has resulted in an ammo supply glut and more aggressive pricing from retailers who can no longer sell everything they get within days, if not hours or even minutes.

Additionally, many police forces are now dropping .40 in favor of 9mm, and civilian demand for .40 pistols seems to have correspondingly fallen. Although I'm not an industry insider, I surmise that this has resulted in an industry-wide excess of .40 production capacity, which would also tend to depress prices in the short term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
I've noticed that both 40sw and 45acp are much closer in price to 9mm than they used to be.
Same here, although .40 and .45 will theoretically remain more expensive in the long run because they use more raw materials. In the interim, my advice is to stock up while the gettin's good.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:08 AM   #7
briandg

obviously, situations vary, but overall when truly comparing apples to apples, I've always noted a 10-20% increase going from 9 to 40.

Right now, however, at midway, WW white box fmj, 9mm - 147 and .40 - 165 of the same frontmark and style are about the same price.

.40 used to be a less common round and we weren't buying it in 500 count packs and burning through it by the millions of rounds. Now, the .40 has been accepted by the public, and most makers have wanted to put their own brands on the practice table and go through the millions of dollars worth of minimal profit/high volume civilian market.

Materials and logistics are about the only difference in costs. About a 10% increase in materials are what make up the difference between the two, and cost of materials is far less than manufacturing. In the absolute bottom line, 9 mm should only cost a bit less than .40 when we are discussing only bulk baseline products.

When we are looking at core bond, buffalo, whatever "luxury" items you choose, it's clear that the makers/dealers are going to just charge whatever they think that they can get away with. At that point you have to go to micro and macro economics to work out what the proper pricing would be.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
.40 used to be a less common round and we weren't buying it in 500 count packs and burning through it by the millions of rounds.
I would argue 40SW has been common for some time now.

Quote:
Now, the .40 has been accepted by the public, and most makers have wanted to put their own brands on the practice table and go through the millions of dollars worth of minimal profit/high volume civilian market.
I'd actually argue that the recent trend is away from the 40SW. This can be seen in both LE sales as well as sales to the public especially. This is not me saying the 40SW is not a good a round, this is me simply commenting on the recent buying trends I've noticed personally.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:35 AM   #9
peterg7

.40 vs 9 115gr is one thing BUT when you’re buying the heavier 9mm that price advantage disappears. Since I believe in big slugs the .40 makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 16, 2018, 10:40 AM   #10
pblanc

The price of .40 S&W ammunition has definitely trended downward in recent years and I have frequently been able to buy it nearly as cheaply as 9 mm Luger, but never quite as cheap. It has consistently been priced well below the cost of all other center-fire handgun cartridges other than 9 mm Luger including 380 Auto, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 357 SIG, .45 ACP, or 10 mm. Apart from 9 mm Luger and 22 LR rimfire, it has become the most economical handgun cartridge.
Old March 16, 2018, 02:53 PM   #11
briandg

I disagree, tunnelrat, while 9 mm has obviously held strong and hasn't been abandoned in any sense, from what I have read the .40 continues to slowly climb in civilian sales.

Since the guns are already in the hands of the public and demand is already there, the lead time and inventory of bulk pack ammo is kept low and delivered on a zero inventory basis, There just isn't any reason at all to change the price of the ammunition, either up or down if the sales of the actual guns increases or decreases. It just won't have any benefit. That, as I said, is apples to apples. Going to the hornady critical duty, once again, 40 vs 9 shows a small price increase by moving up to the larger caliber, nothing significant. 3-4 cents per $1 round.

IF i could find any statistics on the world wide information denial system about the annual ammunition sales by caliber it would answer many questions and make me happy.

There are too many makers of second tier ammo in nine such as wolf, tula, ppv, etc, and the .40 is not represented much by those brands as it isn't a military cartridge made by military producers.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:19 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
from what I have read the .40 continues to slowly climb in civilian sales.
From FFL holders and LGS employees I talk to, that isn't the case for me locally. I can't speak to the whole country of course. Near me a number of stores have stopped taking 40SW pistols in on trade. They can't get rid of them. Now granted used stock is in a glut on everything currently, but the 9mm at least move eventually. They haven't had that luck with 40SW. They've actually gone back through counters and cut prices multiple times, down to levels that probably just cover what they got in trade.

I would agree with you that the sales of ammo shouldn't be overly tied to current sales of firearms. The people that have those pistols still have them. While I also agree that the price difference isn't dramatic, I don't think ammo cost is the only factor when it comes to sales. But we've beat that horse to death in a lot of threads. And even with all I just said, manufacturers continue to make 40SW a priority in terms of offering their pistols in that caliber with each new entry. I don't expect 40SW to disappear any time soon.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:48 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^^^
Most likely the reason for my recent purchase of a used but like new Kahr K40 much less than I could find a Kahr K9!

But the .40 was my desired caliber anyways.
I found Federal .40 FMJ aluminum case for 12.95 for 50 rounds, so just a couple of bucks over what the 9mm was at Wally world.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:21 PM   #14
agtman

Quote:
.40 cal ammo?
Nope.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:34 PM   #15
nanney1

Just thinking out loud, as I don't currently own a .40 S&W pistol... seems like a good idea would be to go ahead and buy a box of .40 here and there and slowly accumulate rounds as the price on ammo continues to lower. And wait until the bottom drops out of the used LEO market for the .40 pistols and they are being sold for $199 + $10 for hand select.

Of course, I won't be buying ammo for a caliber I don't own. And by the time the guns are going for super low prices, the ammo will be in short supply and more costly.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:42 PM   #16
briandg

If it was a priority a used .40 might go on the "gee, I want it but won't get it" list. The new clothes washer takes priority.

Any Information I have had was far from formal. The demand for any particular new or used gun is really variable, The "nine" is going to have the same desirability of the .45 in so m e places, and seriously, I don't know anyone who would make it a deal breaker if he could get an equivalent .40 for a really significant bargain.

Excuse me, I hear the hippies down the block yelling, time to go find a phone in case it turns into screaming.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:47 PM   #17
moosemike

Around here used .40's are selling cheaper than used 9mm's because the 40's aren't in demand.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:10 PM   #18
TunnelRat

There are absolutely some great deals on both new and used 40SW pistols currently.
Old March 16, 2018, 08:02 PM   #19
moosemike

A few weeks ago I just missed an S&W SD40 for $200 used at my LGS. I hate that I missed it.
Old March 20, 2018, 03:34 AM   #20
Kilrb

Some of the shops around me won’t take a .40 on trade because thy have to many or won’t sell. That’s how I got mine wasn’t looking for one but was a good deal.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:02 AM   #21
JDBerg

When a Walther representative at this year’s SHOT show stated that the new PPQ SC subcompact pistol probably won’t be offered in .40S&W, that comment speaks volumes about the declining popularity of that caliber.

Last edited by JDBerg; March 20, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:24 AM   #22
seeker_two

While new .40-cal guns are in decline, the availability of inexpensive .40-cal pistols will ensure that .40-cal ammo will be easily available and affordable for a long time. How long has it been since all the ComBlock surplus guns dried up, yet 9mm Makarov and 7.62x39 is still affordable?

Also remember....even though the FBI went back to 9mm, DHS and all the agencies under it still use .40-cal....and they buy 10 times the ammo that the FBI does.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old March 20, 2018, 05:39 PM   #23
michaelc246

I can usually find it for a couple cents more per round than 9mm. So I think that's relatively cheap. I love both rounds!
Old March 20, 2018, 05:50 PM   #24
moosemike

Quote:
When the next ammo shortage comes, the 9mm, .380 and .45 will be gone.
True