The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 22, 2015, 02:04 PM   #1
mehavey

The Full Court "Press" is in Full Gear

http://www.today.com/news/355-mass-s...ts-days-t59421

The supposed "information" and "facts" in this print version of CNN is absolutely staggering.

Lead-in:
> "With just five percent of the world's population, the U.S.
> is responsible for almost a third of all mass shootings.

and it just gets worse.
Old December 22, 2015, 09:43 PM   #2
barnbwt

"With just five percent of the world's population, the U.S. is responsible for almost a third of all mass shootings."

Yeah, overseas mass-murderers tend to use machetes, RPGs, and mass-starvation, don't they? That is so clearly moronic, it's almost quote-worthy. So I guess when ISIS seizes a village and murders every single male (adult and child), they count each body's slump forward into the mass-grave as an isolated killing?

Should I even bother to look and see if NBC reported at all, the wholesale slaughter of over 40 student protestors across the border in Mexico by police-backed narcos last fall?

TCB

Last edited by barnbwt; December 22, 2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old December 22, 2015, 11:58 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

With less than a sixth of the world's population, Islam is responsible for nearly all of the world's terrorism.

See, we can conflate numbers into loaded statements, too.
Old December 23, 2015, 11:49 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

They are defining "mass shooting" as 4 or more injured or killed.

By this standard, the police are probably responsible for more "mass shootings" in the US than any other single cause.

I can't but sure, but it seems like a possibility. Might be interesting to see some data on that, but compiling it would be a monumentally daunting task.

"With just a tiny fraction of a percentage of the world's population, the US News media is responsible for the majority of the world's misinformation."

See, I can do it too!
And I really, really wanted to say something nastier...
Old December 23, 2015, 12:09 PM   #5
psyfly

Quote:
"With just a tiny fraction of a percentage of the world's population, the US News media is responsible for the majority of the world's misinformation."
That should be made to go viral! I'm going to use it every chance I get or can make.

Kudos.
Old December 23, 2015, 12:41 PM   #6
mehavey

The facts in these kinds of articles are irrelevant.
I'm already hearing these very stats being quoted in the televised mass media this week.
Constant drumbeat......

Remember folks, it's the feeeeeeeling that counts...
...and Jesse Watters has already demonstrated that the mass of voters hasn't a clue as to the most basic of real facts -- on just about anything.
Old December 24, 2015, 12:17 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

psyfly, be my guest! (bows slightly...)

Once again, our media is giving us another demonstration of how effective Herr Goebbles methods can be.
Old December 25, 2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Actually, that's the FBI definition. If we go by that, "mass shootings" have declined.

The allegation that we've had a mass shooting every day comes from a rather troublesome source. A person (who has taken great pains to remain anonymous) came up with a website called Shooting Tracker. In order to get the numbers she wanted, she moved the goalposts by changing the definition of "mass shooting."

(She goes by the name Gnome Chompsky, claims to have a degree in "propaganda studies," and founded this offensive forum on Reddit.)

Her definition is any incident in which more than two people are injured AND a gun is somehow involved. Even then, the numbers are full of holes. Cases involving pellet guns have been included. Cases in which shots were reported fired but nobody was hurt have been included. Cases in which a car accident was the cause of injury but a gun was in the car have been included.

A Miami sheriff's deputy had an ND while looking for his keys. Mass shooting by their definition. Someone in Oregon reported shots fired on school grounds. They were hearing hunters in the woods several miles away. Mass shooting. It goes on.

It's shoddy and deliberately misleading data gathering. In fact, even Mother Jones (who hate gun owners) have called the endeavor into question.

Yet gun-control activists have glommed onto it like ants to an open bottle of Fanta on a hot day. Why? Because it looks like "research," and they're hoping nobody will actually fact-check it. In fact, even the President has referenced their figure.

Ultimately, it's as bad as Kellerman's "you're 43 times as likely to die if you keep a gun in the home" study.

Here are rebuttals from a conservative source, and even from the New York Times, who we all know are pro-gun NRA lapdogs.
Old December 25, 2015, 06:31 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, that's the FBI definition.
I did a quick search, wound up at Mother Jones (since it had been mentioned), and THEY SAY the FBI defines mass shooting as four (4) or more people KILLED at one location, at one time. A Mass Killer.

Killing 4(or more, total) at different locations, and/or over time is either a SPREE KILLER or a SERIAL KILLER.

The "full court press" article counts INJURED, as well as killed. Four people WOUNDED makes a mass shooting for them.

and, guess what, the police do that, more often than you might think.

Quote:
Her definition is any incident in which more than two people are injured AND a gun is somehow involved.
If THIS is the definition used, then yes, in a nation of over 300 MILLION PEOPLE, I would expect a "mass shooting" every day, and" twice on Sundays" as the old saying goes...