The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Friar Whently

Make reloads shoot higher or lower?

Hey all. I'm about to get started into reloading (supplies should be getting to me within the week!) and I had a quick question. I'll be loading standard pressure 158 grn .38 to start out. The reason for 158 is it's the only bullet weight I've found that shoots POA with my snubbie (and only revolver), while any factory ammo weight below 158 shoots low. I'd like to try out other bullet weights for reloading, but if they're all going to shoot low, then I might not bother. So my question is this: is it possible to tinker with components in such a way as to make the lighter bullets shoot higher? I'll also say that I'd stay within the safety bounds of manuals and other loading data for any of this...
Old July 2, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
PawPaw

Sure, slow them down. Generally, lighter bullets shoot lower in revolvers because they get out of the barrel more quickly and the recoil impulse doesn't have time to raise the barrel. Heavier bullets tend to shoot higher on the target and lighter bullets tend to shoot lower, all things being equal (and all things are NEVER equal when it comes to reloading)

Or, get adjustable sights for your handgun. Or, realize that your snubnosed revolver is not a target weapon and that you can live with a couple of inches at across the room distances. Either way, it's interesting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com