The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 3, 2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Carmady

Is anyone using MagGuts with stiffer than stock recoil springs?

And if so, how's it working, or not working, for you?

My gen 2 LCP (not LCP II) has the Wolff 12 lb recoil spring set installed, and today I shot it some using two mags, one with the MagGuts kit installed. The stock OEM 6-round mag worked 100% as always.

The OEM mag with the MagGuts would FTFe about once every other mag.

At first I suspected the mag tube since it was bought used (looks fine), and decided to put the MagGuts in the other mag which is reliable, and test it again.

Then I got to thinking that maybe the MagGuts just won't work with the 12 lb recoil springs, since they probably make their kit to be compatible with stock recoil springs which are 9-10 lb.

I thought about trying the MagGuts with the stock recoil springs and testing again, but wanted to hear what others have experienced.
Old June 4, 2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Ibmikey

Just what is a Mag guts? Obviously not something produced by a respectable entity.
Old June 4, 2019, 10:08 AM   #3
HighValleyRanch

Magguts is a company that makes aftermarket innards for stock magazines that increased capacity by one or two using usually a flat spring instead of coiled or sometime two coiled springs. And yes they are respectable and reliable.

Whereas others make extension base plates to increase capacity, with Magguts you can have increased capacity by using the same size magazine.
Old June 4, 2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Carmady

Last night the stock recoil springs replaced the Wolff 12 lb springs, and today the LCP got 71 rounds, starting with a round in the chamber followed by the same mag with the MagGuts 6-to-7-round conversion. I'd shoot 7, then leave a live round in the chamber, reload the mag, and shoot another 7. That way all but the first round fired were chambered automatically by the pistol. Only one FTFeed out of 71 reloads, so I think it's safe to say that the 12 lb recoil spring was the culprit behind the MagGuts' FTFeed problem yesterday.
Old June 4, 2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Carmady

Quote:
Just what is a Mag guts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kclGN8GGJks
Old June 4, 2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Why a 12# recoil spring in the first place? My 10 year old LCP has run 100% with everything I've put in it from day one out of the box.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 4, 2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Why? Because people with little or no gun experience read about spring changing on the Internet and deciide it's something they should do-much like all those people in the 1960s-1970s who had their guns reblued and damaged.
Old June 4, 2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Carmady

Why? Because I want little or no experience fetching brass.

I read a 33 page thread on the Elsie Pea forum (in the internet) about Wolff springs, and some of the replies said that some brass would hit them in the head, go down their collars, etc, with the 13 lb springs, so I went with 12 lb in hopes of keeping most of the brass nearby in a predictable area. I put a tarp on the ground when I shoot semi-autos to make finding the brass easier.

Yesterday 53 out of 142 got away, that's a loss of 37.3% with the 12 lb springs.

Today 20 out of 71 got away, that's a loss of 29.6% with the stock springs.

Now I have to find an article on the internet explaining percentages so I'll know which springs to use.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because someone was shooting an LCP and no matter where she went the brass kept hitting her in the head.
Old June 4, 2019, 03:16 PM   #9
TunnelRat

So if the main concern is keeping your brass easy to find, wouldn't getting hit in the face actually be a good thing? The brass should be easy to find...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 4, 2019, 03:55 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'd much rather search for brass than have my family search for an undertaker because I fiddled around with my carry gun, and got killed because it didn't work!

Other than the Hogue HandALL grip sleeve I added for a bit "fuller" feel in the hand, my LCP has not been molested. I have bought a couple Magguts kits, but will only change one out at a time. If it runs a minimum of 100 trouble free rounds I'll use it for carry, and convert the second mag.

Last edited by Cheapshooter; June 4, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old June 4, 2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Carmady

Quote:
I'd much rather search for brass than have my family search for an undertaker because I fiddled around with my carry gun, and got killed because it didn't work!
My LCP has been 100% with the 12 lb spring and stock Ruger 6-rd mags. I tested the MagGuts AT THE RANGE.

^^^^Did you see that? Do you know what it means? Where or when did I say I'd been carrying the LCP with the MagGuts? Hint: I didn't.

And furthermore, if you're waiting for me to give a fork what you think about anything don't hold your breath, or your family will be searching for an undertaker.
Old June 4, 2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady

I read a 33 page thread on the Elsie Pea forum (in the internet) about Wolff springs, and some of the replies said that some brass would hit them in the head, go down their collars, etc, with the 13 lb springs, so I went with 12 lb in hopes of keeping most of the brass nearby in a predictable area. I put a tarp on the ground when I shoot semi-autos to make finding the brass easier.
How far brass is ejected is a function of slide speed, which is related to recoil spring strength. It has little or nothing to do with magazine spring strength.
Old June 4, 2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Carmady

Quote:
How far brass is ejected is a function of slide speed, which is related to recoil spring strength. It has little or nothing to do with magazine spring strength.
Agreed.

The problem was FTFeed when using the 12 lb recoil springs with the MagGuts. That proved to be an unreliable combination as far as feeding; they ejected just fine. I guess the 12 lb springs slam the slide forward into battery faster than the stock recoil springs, and that combined with a different mag spring rate would cause unreliable feeding.
Old June 4, 2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Guess I should count myself fortunate that I can afford to lose a few of those tiny pieces of brass. Their a pain to reload anyway. Other than just for grins, I just buy a 50 rd box or two of Winchester white box if I want to run a bunch of ammo through my LCP, or Beretta 1934. Then pick up what I find to add to the stash for when I fell like loading up a few.
Old June 6, 2019, 03:23 PM   #15
Carmady

Today the LCP ran 100% for 73 more reloads with the MagGuts and stock recoil springs. That's a total of one FTFeed out of 144 rounds with MagGuts and stock springs.
Old June 7, 2019, 07:25 AM   #16
JimCunn

Which type of feed failure are you getting?
Old June 7, 2019, 01:29 PM   #17
Carmady

Quote:
Which type of feed failure are you getting?
Type? That was Monday (for all except one on Tuesday), and this is Friday. I think it was the type where the cartridge wasn't parallel to the bore. Kind of like /= with / being the cartridge and = being the bore. The nose of the bullet would be jammed against the roof of the chamber, maybe. Not the type where you can smack the back of the slide with the heel of your hand and knock it into battery.