The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2019, 02:10 PM   #1
RedJax

Baby Eagle 3...Semi-compact or full size?

I am in the market for a Baby Eagle 3 chambered in .40 S&W. Currently, absolutely no one has a full-size carbon steel frame. What is available is either semi-compact carbon steel or a full-size polymer frame. This would be my first personal firearm. My husband has a 1911 which is nice but the .45 kicks a little much for me. On the other hand, my friend has a Springfield .40. I have some experience with both guns at this point and I am leaning towards the .40 as it feels more comfortable for me. I have done a lot of reading up on barrel lengths and frame materials. I am looking for opinions on which is the better way to go? Will the shortened barrel length and full steel frame be similar to the full-size polymer? Is it possible to strike a balance on recoil? The semi-compact weighs in at 35oz and the full-size polymer weighs in at 28.6 oz.

Thoughts?
Old May 21, 2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice. "Recoil" is very subjective. Case in point, I am surprised that -- for you -- the .40 S&W "kicks" more than a full-size (?) 1911 in .45 ACP. Although I own a couple of other firearms, I shoot almost exclusively 1911s and, for me, the .40 S&W feels a lot "snappier" than .45 ACP.
Old May 21, 2019, 03:00 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJax View Post
I am in the market for a Baby Eagle 3 chambered in .40 S&W. Currently, absolutely no one has a full-size carbon steel frame. What is available is either semi-compact carbon steel or a full-size polymer frame. This would be my first personal firearm.

First gun. Mmmmmm. What's the intended purpose of this? And why the Baby Eagle in particular?

Quote:
My husband has a 1911 which is nice but the .45 kicks a little much for me. On the other hand, my friend has a Springfield .40. I have some experience with both guns at this point and I am leaning towards the .40 as it feels more comfortable for me. I have done a lot of reading up on barrel lengths and frame materials. I am looking for opinions on which is the better way to go? Will the shortened barrel length and full steel frame be similar to the full-size polymer? Is it possible to strike a balance on recoil? The semi-compact weighs in at 35oz and the full-size polymer weighs in at 28.6 oz.

Thoughts?
Weight isn't everything. Shorter barrel will mean (probably) a different recoil assembly or weight recoil spring, which would mean (possibly) differences in percieved recoil.

Folks on Internet gun social media like to complain about .40. Expect to see some of that here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 21, 2019, 06:21 PM   #4
RedJax

I have looked at and held a lot of pistols and the Baby Eagle 3 is the one I fell in love with. I am somewhat about aesthetics and I like the way it looks. Also, I've read quite a few reviews and most of them are very positive about this particular model. Unfortunately, no one in my city has one available to look at in person. So, I'm going to have to order one and hope it's everything I expect it to be.
Old May 22, 2019, 02:16 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJax View Post
I have looked at and held a lot of pistols and the Baby Eagle 3 is the one I fell in love with. I am somewhat about aesthetics and I like the way it looks.
Fair enough. I don't think I have ever actually seen a Baby Eagle of any sort.

The Baby Eagle is a CZ 75 clone, of which there are a number out there. You might want to check CZ-USA, especially the classic CZ-75B. Also maybe the Tanfologios, imported into the US as the EAA Witness.

Quote:
Also, I've read quite a few reviews and most of them are very positive about this particular model. Unfortunately, no one in my city has one available to look at in person. So, I'm going to have to order one and hope it's everything I expect it to be.
Sight unseen. Well, if you decide you don't care for it, it's usually not too difficult to "rehome" it and move on. (If you do get it in .40, you might find that a bit more difficult.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 22, 2019, 02:32 PM   #6
GarandTd

Being a CZ75 clone, also look at Canik/Tri-Star. They have some models that are a close comparison to the Baby Eagle and are probably less expensive. For some reason the Baby Eagles are priced higher although I'm not sure there is any quality differences to justify the premium.

Edit: I'm not so sure that the TriStars are still easily found new, but the c-100 and p-120 are both steel frame and can be had in 40cal. They look more like a CZ75 than a Baby Eagle.

Last edited by GarandTd; May 22, 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 22, 2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
My husband has a 1911 which is nice but the .45 kicks a little much for me.
Have you fired the Baby Eagle in .40SW? As mentioned above, felt recoil is highly subjective, but many folks (myself included) find many .40SW pistols to have sharper recoil than heavy .45ACP pistols like the 1911.

Perhaps you should try to shoot an example in .40SW and 9mm. You are likely to find that 9mm offers lower recoil, while also offering all the real-world effectiveness of .40SW.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:14 PM   #8
Bart Noir

RedJax, welcome to the forum!

So many guns, so little time (to buy and sell and rent and borrow). But you are smart to ask about what is available and why people like some over others. This includes the calibers as well as the pistol models.

If you live near any of the ranges which will rent guns then you can try out many models, and have so much fun as you do it. If you are out in rural WA then not so much.

https://waguns.org/storemap.html This link is to gunshops in WA but almost all the indoor ranges are attached to gunshops.

Best of luck.

Bart Noir
Old May 23, 2019, 08:49 PM   #9
P-35HP

IWI (former Israel Military Industries) made Jericho uses the same design principles as CZ75. In my opinion, the compact metal frame in .40 S&W would be a great option. Given a good holster and belt, carrying one should not be a problem. It is easier to cary a polymer frame, though. I own Jerichos and prefer the 9mm compact polymer frame. The 9mm polymer and metal versions are combat proven and still in use by the Israeli military and police, but in process to be replaced. Jerichos are "boring" reliable, very well build, accurate and with excellent ergonomics. Yes, the market is flooded with other options but Jericho is one of the best if not the best.

Baby Eagle III is made in Israel by Bul. I believe that it has not been adapted by the Israeli military or police. Having said that, they use the same solid CZ75 design principles and the execution seems excellent.

I would argue that one can trust his / her life on any gun Made in Israel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2452_1.jpg (21.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (130.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by P-35HP; May 23, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old May 24, 2019, 09:32 AM   #10
GarandTd

For $200 less than the IMI Baby Eagle III, look at the Sar CM9 Gen2. At least look. Very similar in appearance. I have the previous model and it has been incredibly reliable. It has a poly frame and is chambered in 9mm, but, you'll see it's close resemblance to the poly framed Baby Eagle. Sar (Sarsilmaz) is a Turkish manufacterer that has been in business since the 1800's. They have a state of the art manufacturing facility and make some quality pieces.
Old May 25, 2019, 05:30 AM   #11
hemiram

The SAR CM9 G2 is a great gun at an insanely cheap price. I have a laser on mine and it's amazingly hard to miss with. But if you want a BE, look around and see if there are any available to rent at a local or not so local range. I have 2 all steel Jericho 941's and many Tanfoglio made CZ clones, and my Semi Compact Jericho (All steel) is a very soft 9mm shooter, and the full sized one is even smoother. A friend has one of the like finding a diamond rare full sized steel .45 Jerichos (in wonder finish!) and it's a great shooter, as is my Sar K2P 45, a similar all steel gun. The Witness in Wonder .45 I had was great too, and is pretty much the same gun as a BE, except for safety/decock location and looks.
Old June 3, 2019, 12:21 PM   #12
RedJax

Final Decision

Well, for anyone interested, I ended up ordering the Baby Eagle 3, 9mm. I will receive it this week and am looking forward to getting out on the range ASAP. Thanks to everyone for their advice, comments and additional resources for consideration.
Old June 3, 2019, 09:14 PM   #13
GarandTd

I'll be looking forward to hearing a follow up after your range trip. Did you get a steel framed version or polymer?
Old June 4, 2019, 01:52 PM   #14
precision_shooter

I didn’t know ordering the baby eagle was in question. The original question which version/size of the baby eagle you should get?

So which version/size did you get?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 4, 2019, 09:24 PM   #15
RedJax

I got a full size steel frame 9mm. It just came in today. However, it did not come home with me today. Waiting on my concealed and carry and/or the local background check. I can't wait to test it out. But it feels great in the hand and is everything I hoped it would be.

Tags
baby desert eagle , polymer frame , steel frame