The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 24, 2002, 11:41 PM   #1
ibhsffo

.22 Pump rifle identification

Hello,

Just hoping someone can help me identify a little rifle I picked up at an auction not long ago. I purchased a .22 pump rifle with an octagon barrel. The only markings on the gun are the words "Premier" on the top of the barrel and the words “short, long, or long rifle” on the side of the barrel. It appears to be constructed like a Winchester pump, but there is no external hammer. Where the hammer is on the Winchester, this gun has a safety. I can’t find any reference to this rifle on the internet or in any of the books I have found on firearm identification. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 25, 2002, 01:42 AM   #2
Steven Mace

My records show that 'Premier' was a trade name used by some one like Montgomery Wards on the Stevens Arms Model 75 slide action .22 caliber rifle. This was basically Stevens version of the Savage Model 29. Since yours has an octagon barrel it would be considered pre-WWII, made sometime between 1929-1940. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old July 27, 2002, 12:09 AM   #3
ibhsffo

Wow, thanks.

I have been hunting for months with no luck. I heard about the firing line on the Gun Talk radio program and have an answer within days. This is really great. Thanks so much.

My next project is a pistol that I obtained. The barrel and frame are machined from one piece, and it is a .41 or .44 rim fire. I will have to get a picture of it so everyone can see what it looks like. No one seems to know what it is.

Anyway, thank you again.