The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 15, 2020, 06:08 PM   #1
bamaranger

Suggest front sight height for Henry .22 lever?

I installed a Williams peep sight (dovetail mount) on my Henry .22. No, it's not a Skinner, but at 1/3 the price, I was good with it. However......

Though I suspected the rifle would not shoot exactly to point of aim with the factory front sight I underestimated how very high the rifle really would shoot. At 25yds, the rifle is now shooting 7" ABOVE point of aim, and there is no way sufficient depression on the Williams. Installing a new front sight was not totally unexpected, what I did not catch was that the front sight and barrel band are ONE PIECE, and one cannot simply drift a new front sight in and out of a dovetail. Nuts!

Skinner Sights will mill the Henry factory barrel band, removing the factory front sight post and cutting a 3/8" new dovetail in the band itself, for a reasonable fee. Skinner does not sell custom front sight heights and apparently does not sell a sight high enough for my needs. My calculations (from the Skinner web site) are that I need an additional .170" additional front sight height. As in .170" from the top of the old factory post. A coarse measurement of the factory front post indicates an appx height of .150". I can add those two measurements and get .320" for the height of the new blade, FROM THE TOP OF THE RAMP FLAT, but as there is no dovetail, I cannot figure total front sight height.

It appears that front sights are measured from their base. So I must include the depth of the dovetail........how much could/would that be? Total front sight height = .170" + .150" + depth of dovetail? Any suggestions on what height front sight for which I should search? I suppose I should get the dovetail cut, upon return, measure from the bottom of same to appx top of ramp flat,and add the two above numbers....that would do it......I think?
Old December 15, 2020, 06:51 PM   #2
LeverGunFan

A couple of questions and suggestions.....

Did you calculate your new front sight height with the rear sight all the way down? Suggest that you allow for some down adjustment of the rear sight to accommodate variations in range and ammunition. So that could require an even taller front sight. Since you have a lot of up adjustment available on the rear sight, you could buy the tallest front sight that you can find, usually that is .570 inch from what I've seen. That would avoid having too short of a front sight.

As far as the measurement to the bottom of the dovetail, ask Andy if he can give you an estimate of the dimension from the top of your existing sight to the bottom of the dovetail that he will cut in the barrel band. That would let you know if you can find a combination that will work.

At one time I had a collection of front sights from trying to find the right one. Now I measure and calculate first, as you are doing. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old December 16, 2020, 04:21 AM   #3
bamaranger

advice

Hey Lever, thanks for the reply. Seems you followed my rambling post very well.

I shot two groups, one w/ the rear sight bottomed out, the second with the slide centered in its adjustment range. At 25 yds, that resulted in about a 1" difference in point of impact, ie, 6.5" high, versus 7.5" high. I used the figure of 7" to simplify my OP, which still seems very lengthy. Good advice to select a slightly taller front sight and I will keep that in mind.

I foresee this project involving a lot of trial and error. Between me and my shooting pals, we have an assortment of front sights. Once the dovetail is cut , I'll seat one w/ my best estimate regards height based on what I can learn and see what happens. Using a sight pusher, shouldn't be too much trouble to swap a few in and out 'till I get where I want to be with POA/POI. I can always file a tall blade too, if I can find one.

The whole sight swap is to allow me shoot this rifle w/o adding a scope. I can run a fine aperture peep better than factory bead and blade sights......60+ yr old eyes..... and I'd rather not scope the trim little carbine.
If I can roll a soup can at 25-30 yds, I'll be happy with it.

The Williams dovetail peep sight was an absolute booger to fit, ..... and I'm still fooling with front sights! Makes me wonder if the $50 bucks or so I'll end up saving will be worth it?
Old December 16, 2020, 04:43 AM   #4
Old Stony

If you are looking to install a regular blade on the front, and not a bead sight, I'd look at the muzzleloading stuff. You can pick up standard 3/8 dovetail sights with a blade that is very high and not even shaped or lots of variations. You will just be at the range doing a little work with a file to get it sighted in. Track of the Wolf or lots of suppliers of muzzleloading stuff carry a variety of these type of sights.
Old December 16, 2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Scorch

Get a front sight .160" taller than the one you have.

The formula is easy; Distance POI is above/below POA (in inches), divided by distance to the target (in inches), multiply by sight radius (in inches). Add a little bit for sight adjustment.
Old December 18, 2020, 11:50 PM   #6
bamaranger

Skinner conversation

I called Skinner, spoke to one of their guys, great conversation. We're going to wait 'till after the Christmas rush, I will ship them the barrel band. They will cut dovetail, fit a new sight, reblue the shebang, and I'll get a slot filler from them as well.

They pondered my measurements and opted that a .450" front will solve my problem. They sell a .500 as well, I MAY ask for that, and just file away 'till I get on target with my carbine. Can't add height easily, but a to tall sight will file to where I need it.
Old December 18, 2020, 11:53 PM   #7
bamaranger

simple

Hey scorch, thanks for reply.

I wish it was as easy as a .160 higher front sight! On the Henry rimfire, one cannot simply drift the old sight out, and a new one in. The barrel band/ramp/ and blade are all one piece. Hence this rather lengthy post.

I'll keep you posted.