The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2020, 10:03 PM   #1
BJung

What are your cast bullets groups like?

What do your Lee scrap lead groups look like? I want to know what I might expect from range lead I cast straight from a Lee mold and pc'd.
Old November 8, 2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Geezerbiker

MY groups with cast bullets are every bit as tight as with jacketed. I think the group size is more about the gun than the cast or jacket bullets.

I have a .300 blackout that shoots clover leaves at 30 yards with a cast .32 revolver bullet from a Lee mold with 3.5g of Red Dot.

My revolvers also shoot tight groups with cast bullets.

Tony
Old November 9, 2020, 12:33 AM   #3
74A95

What someone else's lead bullets do in their gun with their alloy, shape, velocity and powder charge are completely independent from what your's will do.
Old November 9, 2020, 09:37 AM   #4
BJung

I know lead is another variable in the cartridge but I recently started casting and want to know what others get to have a standard of what I could get than let's say that of teacup plate.
Old November 9, 2020, 09:46 AM   #5
reddog81

Rifle or handgun loads? With your typical handgun load you should be able to match factory ammo accuracy if not better. Rifle loads with lead bullets are a little more tricky and require an alloy better than range scrap for good shooting.
Old November 9, 2020, 11:02 AM   #6
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbank_jung View Post
I know lead is another variable in the cartridge but I recently started casting and want to know what others get to have a standard of what I could get than let's say that of teacup plate.
What will you do if your cast loads shoot worse than other people's. Will you blame the gun? The bullets? Your powder choice? The mold design? Some combination of these?

Like it or not, the answer to your question is in post #3.

Your gun will tell you what it likes, or doesn't like.

Cast them, load them, shoot them, and tell us what you got.
Old November 9, 2020, 12:32 PM   #7
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
What will you do if your cast loads shoot worse than other people's. Will you blame the gun? The bullets? Your powder choice? The mold design? Some combination of these?

Like it or not, the answer to your question is in post #3.

Your gun will tell you what it likes, or doesn't like.

Cast them, load them, shoot them, and tell us what you got.
Asking what kind of results you'll get is highly variable on the items mentioned. However, It's not a bad idea to ask what sort of results are possible.

My goal for cast bullets is accuracy on par or better than factory ammo. Often times it takes a variety of trial and error before getting those results. Bullet size is very important with cast bullets. This means having the correct bullet sizing die, the correct expander dies and making sure your reloading practices don't squeeze that bullet back down once loaded.
Old November 9, 2020, 10:23 PM   #8
BJung

I have only one decent test load to report. It's a Lee .45-200 SWC PC'd, sized to .452" and loaded with 3.6gr N310. Distance is about 30 feet. The other test loads grouped worse. This one load grouped at best 4" group. I made another test set to see if it will group better. Another testload using .45-200 SWC Dardas at 3.6gr Bullesye grouped at 2" at the same distance. A tesload using .45-230 RN Dardas with 5gr Bullseye was 1-2". I just made testloads of .45-225gr Lee Cast bullets with 5gr Bullseye.