The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2021, 01:48 PM   #26
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_T View Post
Cool. I am sure you will enjoy it. It’s neat that you got all the goodies with it.

I have an H&R Sportsman from 1937. I really like mine. It’s a very good revolver.
Amazing condition for '32! I like the looks of top breaks. Hard to find them that nice.
Old February 15, 2021, 05:03 PM   #27
jrothWA

My experience is with the cousin model 999,

which is the tip-varaint.

Nicely made and accurate and a nine-shot revolver.

Only thing "lame" about it is NOTHING. Pull the pin to swing out the cylinder to empty and reload.

handle any .22LR round, would not use ant 'STINGER types and unknown if the frame can handle thoses??

Nice lite revolver for carry squirrel hunting.

ENJOY IT!
Old February 15, 2021, 08:54 PM   #28
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothWA View Post
which is the tip-varaint.

Nicely made and accurate and a nine-shot revolver.

Only thing "lame" about it is NOTHING. Pull the pin to swing out the cylinder to empty and reload.

handle any .22LR round, would not use ant 'STINGER types and unknown if the frame can handle thoses??

Nice lite revolver for carry squirrel hunting.

ENJOY IT!
Thanks, I'll enjoy it for sure. I'll take any older gun with REAL bluing rather than some of those new, cheap guns like the Heritage and that coated stuff they are coming out with now. There's a reason these old guns are still around and functioning!
Old February 17, 2021, 08:46 AM   #29
stinkeypete

The reason that h&r is still around and functioning is it hasn’t been shot much.

The internal metal components are soft and fragile and they will simply wear out rather quickly with use. It’s not uncommon for some of us to put a thousand rounds down range in a year, the h&r I had from my dad as my first pistol quickly became a single action revolver.
Old February 17, 2021, 09:04 AM   #30
4V50 Gary
Staff

I should have bought a break open when they were still made.
Old February 19, 2021, 03:41 AM   #31
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
The reason that h&r is still around and functioning is it hasn’t been shot much.

The internal metal components are soft and fragile and they will simply wear out rather quickly with use. It’s not uncommon for some of us to put a thousand rounds down range in a year, the h&r I had from my dad as my first pistol quickly became a single action revolver.
So?
Old February 19, 2021, 05:33 AM   #32
SIGSHR

George Nonte wrote that his first handgun-in the 1940s-was an H&R which he quickly found was not up to sustained DA shooting.
Old February 19, 2021, 07:50 AM   #33
GarandTd

Honestly, I have nearly an entire safe full of guns that someone may consider lame. To me, they're great, and that's all that matters. As long as you are happy with it.
Old February 19, 2021, 11:21 AM   #34
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
So?
I have some doubts about the "soft" metal used by H&R. If so, why would the government use them for so many weapons?

"H&R was granted a contract to produce the M1 rifle during the Korean War, but the first deliveries of the rifles were not made until after the armistice. H&R manufactured the M14 rifle during that rifle's production cycle (1959–1964). H&R also manufactured M16A1 rifles during the Vietnam War and is one of only four manufacturers (along with Colt, Fabrique Nationale, & GM Hydramatic Division) to have ever made an official M16 variant for the U.S. Military.[1] Due to their relative scarcity, all H&R military weapons are considered highly desirable by collectors."
Old February 19, 2021, 10:40 PM   #35
The Happy kaboomer

They are good guns but the trigger pulls are VERY HEAVY. Probably more than 11 pounds.........Only downside.
Old February 19, 2021, 11:14 PM   #36
stinkeypete

My H&R went single shot only in under a brick of ammo.

Since I am a single action guy, that’s what the joke is about. If you doubt the durability of old inexpensive h&r revolvers, post how many rounds is through yours “
Old February 20, 2021, 12:36 AM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I have some doubts about the "soft" metal used by H&R. If so, why would the government use them for so many weapons?

"H&R was granted a contract to produce the M1 rifle during the Korean War, but the first deliveries of the rifles were not made until after the armistice. H&R manufactured the M14 rifle during that rifle's production cycle (1959–1964). H&R also manufactured M16A1 rifles during the Vietnam War and is one of only four manufacturers (along with Colt, Fabrique Nationale, & GM Hydramatic Division) to have ever made an official M16 variant for the U.S. Military.[1] Due to their relative scarcity, all H&R military weapons are considered highly desirable by collectors."
I don't claim to know anything about the hardness of the internal parts in commercial H&R firearms, but the fact that they fulfilled military contracts has no bearing on the matter.

When the government makes a contract, they test the final products to make sure specifications are met. In other words, it's clear that H&R could make guns with hardened metal parts, but that's not proof that they do it when no one is checking the final result like the government would.
Old February 20, 2021, 02:32 AM   #38
Hawg

Quote:

That's funny as hell right there. My H&R was made in 1935. I got it in the late 70's and it's round count since I've had it is in the thousands. God only know what it was before I got it. It's seen some use for sure.
Old February 20, 2021, 03:09 AM   #39
HarryRichardson

Nice gun. I didn't try to collect 922s but I have 4 at the moment. They are fun to shoot and seem to be well made. One of them is mint in the box with papers so I fired it a few times and put it away. They are all 1950 revolvers (K prefix). I have around 80 H&R guns and most were inherited, given to me or bought for less than $100. I like them all even if they are cheap.
Old February 20, 2021, 04:43 AM   #40
TruthTellers

Quote:
My H&R went single shot only in under a brick of ammo.

Since I am a single action guy, that’s what the joke is about. If you doubt the durability of old inexpensive h&r revolvers, post how many rounds is through yours “
I couldn't tell you how many has gone thru my .32 top break, but I've put probably 200 rounds thru mine since I've owned it and no problems since. I have relegated it to Trail Boss loads as I don't need to push it with a stronger load, but I have shot some near full power .32 S&W L. under a 95gr bullet and the old girl lived.

I also cannot claim to know what the Rockwell hardness is for the internal parts, nor what grade or kind of steels were used, but I'll assume a high carbon steel, as I don't think alloy steels were commonly used for a budget gun in the 1950s and certainly not for any of the pre WW2 models.
Old February 20, 2021, 12:58 PM   #41
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRichardson View Post
Nice gun. I didn't try to collect 922s but I have 4 at the moment. They are fun to shoot and seem to be well made. One of them is mint in the box with papers so I fired it a few times and put it away. They are all 1950 revolvers (K prefix). I have around 80 H&R guns and most were inherited, given to me or bought for less than $100. I like them all even if they are cheap.
80?!

I'm green! What a collection. Considering that well kept "cheap" vintage American guns (no such animal anymore) are no longer cheap, those are better than money in the bank @ .000000 interest.
Old February 21, 2021, 12:14 PM   #42
Grant 14

I remember shooting my grandmothers 9 shot H&R when I was a kid. Family lore has it that it put a forked horn in the freezer when it got into my grandmothers garden. I wish we still had it. Grant.
Old February 28, 2021, 10:27 PM   #43
GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Perhaps to you.
I saw no mention of price, but if I saw that H&R next to a Wrangler for the same price, I'm walking away with the H&R every single time.
yep. and I think the Wrangler is the best $150.00 6 shot cowboy style 22LR revolver out today(but not at $199.00 Ruger) But a clean & cared for H&R is a jewel from a by gone era.
Old March 1, 2021, 02:54 PM   #44
dgludwig

I've always considered H&R revolvers and their Iver Johnson equivalents (especially the break-open variants) to be a trapper's ideal sidearm.
Old March 4, 2021, 08:08 AM   #45
Newtire

Ruger Wrangler over an old H&R? Ruger Wrangler not half the revolver of those old H & R’s. Having said that, terrible idea putting that plastic end on the mainspring guide rod on H & R. Makes the Ruger the durability champ in spite of being ugly.
Old March 9, 2021, 08:53 AM   #46
Reloadron

Just bought what some think is a lame gun.

Matters not what anyone else thinks. Several years ago, maybe a decade one of my co-workers handed me a little 9 shot NEF (New England Firearms) R922 9 shot 22 LR. His father in law passed and he just gave me the gun. That little revolver is really fun to shoot and I have become fond of it. Enjoy your new addition.

Ron
Old March 9, 2021, 09:28 AM   #47
aarondhgraham

I too own an H&R 922,,,
But I'm not as in love with it as some are.

I recently took all of my SA revolvers to the range,,,
I know the 922 is SA/DA but it's close enough.

Off of a rest shooting as carefully as I could,,,
It shot the worst groups out of the five.

Maybe mine is just shot-out,,,
It has seen quite a bit of use (not abuse),,,
Fortunately I didn't give a lot of coin to purchase it.

Most older H&R's I have seen appealed to me on an aesthetic level,,,
But the three I have owned in recent years were disappointing as shooters.

Just sayin'

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 9, 2021, 01:34 PM   #48
Cornhusker77

I'll jump in here
Good on the OP for picking up a nice old revolver
I have a 922 from 1932 also. I rarely shoot it and it's in nice condition.
Around 6 or 7 years ago, I picked up a H&R 929 Sidekick .22.
Made in 1972 I think, came in the original box with the usual papers that come in the box.
Sold new for $38.97

Old March 11, 2021, 03:19 PM   #49
357 Python

Don't feel bad. The first gun I carried as a security officer was an H&R 926 in 38 S&W. I carried it for about 3 months before I was able to get my Colt Python. The 926 did serve me quite well in those days.