The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 6, 2021, 04:38 PM   #1
PeteCress

Custom Grips for S&W 686

Tried holding a few revolvers today and was struck by how uncomfortable the 686's stock grip was.
viz: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...p0NEFRQThPRVJ3

Looked to me like recoil through the trigger guard was going to punish my middle finger.

OTOH, a Colt Python had what looked like some sort of aftermarket grip, and the middle finger was situated below the trigger guard.

viz: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...p0NEFRQThPRVJ3

The Question: Is there a term-of-art for such a grip (that pushes the finger out of the way of the trigger guard) which will help me find one for the 686?

Found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Grip.../dp/B0002INPFW, but my powers of visualition suck canal water and I don't see anything in the product description that calls out to me.

Last edited by PeteCress; February 6, 2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old February 6, 2021, 05:43 PM   #2
dahermit

Hogue monogrips may be what you are looking for. This is a Hogue monogrip I have on my S&W 686
Old February 6, 2021, 05:45 PM   #3
ms6852

Your 686 seems to have the square butt frame and the one pictured on Amazon states for round butt, I do not think it will fit. I have the same gun as you pictured it is a no dash and recoil has never been an issue with the trigger finger. Could be my hand s are bigger...who knows. Anyway the placement of your finger is not how you would shoot it, assuming you are just placing finger as such for the picture only.
Old February 6, 2021, 07:31 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Grips made for the L frame square butt will fit onto the round butt L frame, and the only difference is the frame's back corner, but the frontstrap and top of rear straps are the same, and the location pin is in exactly the same place.

Grips for the round butt will not fit onto the square butt frame however.
Even grips for the K will work on the L and the L on the K.
Old February 7, 2021, 11:02 AM   #5
gnystrom

If you have something like three years to wait, Craig Spegel makes a great product. These are not fancy as they are on a working gun that gets carried and dinged when I bump into a doorjamb or whatever.
Old February 7, 2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

I second the vote for Hogue grips. I did not like the wood grips that came on my 627. They looked nice but felt bad in the hand. The Hogue is a great improvement.
Old February 7, 2021, 11:54 AM   #7
mk70ss

Check out Altamont grips....
Old February 7, 2021, 12:45 PM   #8
buck460XVR

That 686 looks to be a -4 or earlier. Depending on price, I'd buy it regardless of how uncomfortable the grips are. I have several 686s and different styles of stock grips and none have ever bit my middle finger.
Old February 8, 2021, 12:14 AM   #9
rodfac

Guess you went with the 686, Pete...hope it works out for you...good range gun, and with a good holster/belt combination it'll pack ok too. Don't scrimp on the holster/belt...a good combination is nearly a lifetime purchase. That said....

The Hogue Monogrip will handle/eliminate the knuckle rap from recoil. The ones currently supplied with my M69 Smith and M629, handle that very well indeed. I also have Altamont grips on several revolvers, and while pretty, and good for target or low end moderate loads, say up to 900 fps in a .357 or .44, they still rap you on the knuckle and the tops are thin enough that the web of your hand takes a beating as well. The Hogue's are butt ugly, but do the job. YMMv Rod BTW I have glove size "L" hands if that helps.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.