The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 21, 2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Disassemble frame parts, just to add oil for anti-corrosion?

For a different reason I disassembled/reassembled the frame's parts in my Other Sig, a true P6. Youtube is wonderful.

As the internal components in the 1980 P6 showed no corrosion on its internal components, can one mostly assume that some residual factory oil still protects the same parts in the German civilian P225?

This P225, "JH" was manufactured in '87 it seems.

I'm retired and don't mind a tedious project if adding thin layers of Ballistol to all of these parts will help ensure many years of resistance to corrosion.
-I'm well-aware that too much oil attracts dust and residue.- Maybe none is a better option.

The gun is kept in a locked air conditioned room (always Outside the safe-no children visit...), very seldom goes to the club, as I have 'other guns'.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 21, 2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 21, 2020, 05:06 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I hate the concept of "attracting dust. It can only trap it, not attract it.

Personally, if it was apart, I would do a deep clean, remove all old oils and dirt (brake cleaner would be my preference) then wipe down with a light coating of oil and put it back together.

I don't know if it is the right answer, but that's what I would do.
Old December 21, 2020, 06:17 PM   #3
Ignition Override

Shadow9mm: Roger that. Just a single disassembly and cleaning for this, I hope, could be like a "fire and forget" missile.

I switched everything months ago to Ballistol, and in dozens of "this vs. that"
comments I've never read that a thin layer would evaporate--deep inside a frame or even near the surface--even after years.

As my Walther P99 AS is a pretty new gun, and I don't really want to do the more detailed work for a S&W 908 or 6904 (despite several Superb up-close 3rd. Gen. Youtube videos by "Blubelly2"), the P225 would be enough.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 21, 2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old December 22, 2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

I have had oils move in a gun before. had guns that i oiled and were dry after a while in the safe. Tried all kinds of oils and cleaners over the years. Most all of them worked pretty well, some better than others, but they all worked. I still keep a few different types for a few different jobs.

Lucas extreme duty oil, very mild smell, in my carry guns, it is thicker and stays in place well.
weapon shield. very mils smill decent cleaner, works great on semi auto 22s
eezox, strong smell for rust prevention on blued guns, its a dry lube and does ok, however it excells at rust prevention
frog lube paste, mild mint smell for my AR carrier group, as it does not seem to burn off like most oils

I tried ballistol. got a bad spray bottle that did not spray. Was able to get some out and it seemed to work fine but my wife did not like the smell. Seemed to work fine. If your happy with it use it, there is no point chasing down the pinnacle in gun oils IMHO if they are doing the job you need. I should order another bottle of ballistol to try again...
Old December 22, 2020, 08:33 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd rather use RIG Gun Grease for long term storage.

If it was a museum piece, then I'd use Renaissance Wax.
Old December 22, 2020, 09:11 PM   #6
Ingramite

Now that I'm retired and ammo is approaching a buck a round, things have changed up for me and my sidearms.

I have time to tear things apart and inspect every small part under magnification before I lube it and put it back together. I'm looking at shiny internal parts to see just what the rub is, maybe even a little buff on contact parts. Checking springs and pins. Looking for anything out of the ordinary.

I've always enjoyed cleaning and maintaining my firearms almost as much as shooting them.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that I've never disassembled a firearm JUST to lube it. I would always throw in the cursory inspection and preventative maintenance upon tear down and the lube at reassembly.
Old December 25, 2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

I have. I have an issued G17 and it spends 99% of its life between the holster and the safe. I have a 19 that I usually shoot when I go to the range, so my issued G17 only gets shot once a year to qualify. I disassemble, clean, brush out the dust, and lube it back up monthly.

I also have some guns in in the safe that don't get shot but a couple times a year. I clean and lube everything every 6 months cause rust and dust are evil! and as my buddy says "a clean gun is a happy gun, and happy guns save lives!"