The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 29, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Rob228

Did some trading

I am posting this in general handguns as there is a revolver involved, if only for a second.

After a range trip I was cleaning some pistols and realized that I have two that I NEVER shoot. One is a 6" 586-7, the other was an early S&W1911 (The "Billboard" model). The 1911 was incredibly accurate, but it was very picky about ammo. I've had the 586 for about 8 years and have put maybe 200 rounds through it. I got a message from a friend of mine that works part time saying that they had a Springfield LW Operator in stock. I decided that one pistol I will shoot is far better than two that I don't, the store definitely made out monetarily, but I feel like I got what I wanted. I walked out of the store with the Operator and $10. Haven't gotten to the range yet, waiting for the long weekend. I did replace the two piece guide rod with an Ed Brown standard length, and put VZ grips on it to match my smaller 1911. Full range report to come this weekend.

Here's the two that were traded:

The new one, wearing original hardware:

Post Makeover:

Twins:

This is the Wilson practical holster.
Old August 29, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
KyJim

If you're happy, that's all that matters. The Operator is a fine pistol. I've traded up a few times using handguns I didn't really care about. I've taken a bit of a hit doing so, rather than selling them myself, but I've been happy with the outcome each time. On at least a couple of occasions, I picked up guns that don't come through here very much.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
dgludwig

You ended up with a very nice gun-but, as you conceded, your dealer made out big time on this swap. But, as KyJim noted, so long as you're happy is what counts in the long run.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

I think you did outstanding on that deal!

Very nice gun you left with. Love it with that leather rig. That's a gun I wouldn't mind wearing open carry to show off.

Again, you did great and thanks for sharing. I'm a huge believer in getting rid of what you don't use or need and getting something else.