The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Feel like I won the lottery!

I was hanging out with a friend this weekend, and mentioned that I was having a hard time finding 9mm ammo. She tells me "I don't shoot 9mm any more, but I may have some you can have".

She wasn't kidding - she goes to a closet and pulls out a gallon Ziploc that's nearly full of ammo and hands it to me! She asks "need any .45?", and hands me another gallon bag of .45 ACP ammo.

When I got home and counted/sorted it, there were about 1100 rounds of 9mm - about 400 each of Speer GDHP 124gr and Federal Hydra-Shock 124gr, and ~300 assorted FMJ round-nose and flat-point.

There were about 700 rounds of .45 ACP, mostly 230gr lead round-nose. The .45 was tarnished, but I tumbled it and it came out smooth (although still tarnished).

For the forseeable future, my friends aren't going to need to bring any ammo when we go shooting, although it's going to feel positively decadent using hollow points to blast paper!
Old March 4, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
shootniron

What friends...?
Old March 4, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Hey, if you're anywhere near Norfolk, I'll take you shooting and send you home with some!
Old March 4, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4
lamarw

It sounds like you had your big "O" and ready to go home. I hope you didn't have to sleep over. LOL

In a more serious note. I think you should show your graditude and take her out for a very nice dinner in appreciation. It would also be nice to hear she is a shooting friend.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
shootniron

Quote:
Hey, if you're anywhere near Norfolk, I'll take you shooting and send you home with some!
Thanks a bunch...but I am a fer piece from you. You will not have a problem finding help with that ammo.

Good for you, buddy...that was a great score, and the price was RIGHT.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

You owe that lady dinner!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 4, 2013, 11:26 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I think you should show your graditude and take her out for a very nice dinner in appreciation. It would also be nice to hear she is a shooting friend.
Yeah, we go shooting all the time, and I've done a lot of stuff for her, too - helped her move, put an alarm in her truck, computer work, etc. I'm definitely picking up the next few dinners, though!
Old March 5, 2013, 02:53 AM   #8
9mm

.... Hollow points? 20rd/box $20+ A LOT OF MONEY RIGHT THERE.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:13 AM   #9
Sport45

Ammo in ziplok bags sounds like somebody else's reloads. Unless I knew them very well, or knew it was repackaged factory ammo I'd pass. Handgun ammo is a pain to break down to components to reload.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:32 AM   #10
ScottRiqui

This is all factory ammo - that's just how she stored it.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
kahrguy

scott did she just get divorced?? Sounds like someone is paying for something gone wrong. Your a lucky man, or maybe a good man.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Dan-O

Quote:
There were about 700 rounds of .45 ACP, mostly 230gr lead round-nose. The .45 was tarnished, but I tumbled it and it came out smooth (although still tarnished).
I hope you're not tumbling loaded ammo....
Old March 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #13
BoogieMan

Quote:
I thought the same thing. I have heard of it being done but I wouldnt try it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #14
ScottRiqui

Quote:
scott did she just get divorced?? Sounds like someone is paying for something gone wrong. Your a lucky man, or maybe a good man.
Nah - no drama like that. She's ex-military and a competitive shooter, and she's always bought & stored ammo in huge amounts. She gave me a bunch, but I can't even imagine how much she still has left. I know that I saw two full cases of Lapua .22, and I know she has more on backorder.

Quote:
Yep, it's loaded, but there's no danger of detonation, as slowly as the cartridges were moving through the media (think 1-2 inches per second). I know that in theory, the powder granules inside the case can be abraded and smoothed by the vibration, but I don't think it's any worse that what happens to it as it's shipped across the country. The guys who have actually chronographed tumbled vs. non-tumbled ammo haven't found any differences.

Also, .45 ACP is a fairly low-pressure round, so even if there is a microscopic change in the powder granules, It's not as if I was starting off on the ragged edge of safety, pressure-wise.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Dan-O

"While we are aware that some hand-loaders, particularly pistol shooters, tumble loaded ammo to remove residual lube or just to make their ammo nice and shiny, this is NOT a sensible procedure. RCBS and most ammo-makers specifically warn against tumbling live ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Hodgdon’s official policy is: “Completed ammo should not be tumbled. The powder will degrade and increase in burn speed.” (From Mike Daly, Customer Satisfaction Manager, Hodgdon/IMR.)"

To each their own.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Drhc116

Hey Scott. Im in Suffolk. Glad to hear about you finding some ammo to go shooting. Also nice to know that other people from tidewater participate here.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:12 PM   #17
wolfgaurd

im from hampton and im here. great forum by the way.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
overhead

I need to hang out with your friends, not one of my Norfolk friends has offered me free ammo Congrats on the score.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:21 PM   #19
IMTHDUKE

Yeah, and I saw the Pope in a business suit

Just kidding....what a friend to have.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old March 5, 2013, 10:07 PM   #20
S&W-Keeper

Give me her number, I want to see if she shoots .357 mag. anymore.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:05 AM   #21
chris in va

Quote:
"While we are aware that some hand-loaders, particularly pistol shooters, tumble loaded ammo to remove residual lube or just to make their ammo nice and shiny, this is NOT a sensible procedure. RCBS and most ammo-makers specifically warn against tumbling live ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Hodgdon’s official policy is: “Completed ammo should not be tumbled. The powder will degrade and increase in burn speed.” (From Mike Daly, Customer Satisfaction Manager, Hodgdon/IMR.)"
How do they get factory ammo so shiny?
Old March 6, 2013, 08:07 AM   #22
basilisk4

I won the reverse lottery (or something more clever) a few weeks ago. I had set down a box of ammo on the floor in a spare bedroom as I was in the process of cleaning out the closet. Well, the box of ammo -- which actually was a moving box with several hundred rounds of 9MM and .45ACP ammo -- sat on the bedroom floor for a few days. I noticed at one point that one of my wife's cats had peed on the floor in the room -- and also that box.

Any idea what cat pee does to bullet casings? The ammo was corroded something awful. A few hundred bucks down the drain.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #23
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Any idea what cat pee does to bullet casings? The ammo was corroded something awful. A few hundred bucks down the drain.
Yeah, we have a few cats as well, and a dousing of "hot ammonia" will play hell on brass (or pretty much any metal). Shame that it ruined the entire box, though - that seems like phenomenal bad luck.