The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Skans

My panic-purchase justification.....

I hate panic-buying. I thought I was stronger than this, but I admit, I panic-purchased a Sig X-Five (competition, 9mm). Here's my justifications:

1. I've always wanted one and would be beyond angry if my opportunity to get one slipped by.

2. Given that this is 19-20 round handgun, there's a chance Sig won't be making them any longer.....a slight chance.

3. I would fee stupid stocking up on magazines for a gun I don't even own.

4. The price hadn't yet gotten too inflated, and I could afford it.

5. Its my way of supporting the firearms community in their time of need.

So, there's my confession - anyone else want to confess to a little "panic buying"?
Old January 17, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Desert Rancher

Last night, I just got mixed up and made bids on Two different Ruger .380's. I thought is was the same gun...
Old January 17, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Contrast Man

Skans, I'd call that more of an act of planned spontaneity. You knew you wanted it and set aside funds for it, you just didn't know when you'd cone home with it! That is a fantastic gun.

I'd say panic buying is going out and picking the first service pistol you see or buying something that puts paying the bills at risk.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
AdrianVall

LMAO! Whatever makes you sleep at night bud. If that is your reasoning for explaining your purchase to your significant other, then by all means use it! : )

I just bought a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical that both come with 17 round and 18 round magazines. LOL. That was my "panic buy" that I explained to my lady.

Muahaha!
Old January 17, 2013, 10:18 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

Ok now that you have rehearsed this rationalization on us, be sure to let us know how well it went over with the wife! If it works I'll use it myself at the end of the month for my latest must have shiny, shiny purchase.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
rock185

I admit I went crazy with panic buying and bought 200 rounds of .22LR ammo ;-)
Old January 17, 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
amcamu

I gave in early and purchased an FS2000. My justification was the same as the OP's. So yeah, Im with you. I decided to buy just before the prices started getting out of hand.
#1 rule of machining: If it doesnt feel, sound, smell or fit right, stop!
Old January 17, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8
tynman

I put in my order for my .308 just before all this happened so I didnt get hit to hard. Now for the ammo for it was a little pricy for it.... ow Im on the hunt for a sig p220 super match... Now for that one I may get killed on the price if I could find one....
Old January 18, 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
AndyWest

Quote:
I admit I went crazy with panic buying and bought 200 rounds of .22LR ammo ;-)
You joke but I put off buying a couple "books" of mini-mags... Sad when you gotta budget your 22 ammo
Old January 18, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Grant D

Have been thinking about getting a Beretta 92FS.
I guess now would be the time to get one.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Vireye

I had been toying with the idea of getting a Glock 21 for a few months...when the panic buying began, I decided I'd grab one while I could (in case of a ban on the 13rd mags, or at the very least the RIDICULOUS prices on them becoming prohibitive).

Called a local Blue Label dealer (only one in the state) and he had ONE Glock 21 (a Gen 3) left...I bought it and literally as I was leaving three other individuals came in looking for one.

Mags are now $50 minimum if I can even find them. Used to be $22...thank God it came with three of them...

I also hate panic-buying, but I understand it. And unfortunately it's affecting me considerably...I can't even practice with my new duty sidearm because of cost of ammo. (I'm "only" Security, but still!)
Old January 18, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Skans

Quote:
LMAO! Whatever makes you sleep at night bud. If that is your reasoning for explaining your purchase to your significant other, then by all means use it!
Quote:
Ok now that you have rehearsed this rationalization on us, be sure to let us know how well it went over with the wife! If it works I'll use it myself at the end of the month for my latest must have shiny, shiny purchase.
This rationalization is for myself alone, not for the wife. While I have always been 100% loyal to my wife in things that really matter, there ain't no way I'm announcing "Hey, Honey, look what I just got....and here's why!!! I plan on living a long time and being married to the same woman for a long time - sometimes "don't ask, don't tell" is a great policy.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
This rationalization is for myself alone, not for the wife. While I have always been 100% loyal to my wife in things that really matter, there ain't no way I'm announcing "Hey, Honey, look what I just got....and here's why!!! I plan on living a long time and being married to the same woman for a long time - sometimes "don't ask, don't tell" is a great policy.
Well, handguns ARE used for self-defense, aren't they? <grin>

I picked up a SIG X-FIVE Competition (in .40) a while back, and bought a couple of extra mags -- but only with thoughts to competing with it, someday, before I'm totally decrepit. I don't think I'd use that gun for self-defense given my other guns -- several of which I'd probably grab first.

While that very expensive SIG X-FIVE is accurate and a work of art, it's also big and heavy, and those mags will fit other SIGs.

Old January 18, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Xfire68

Skans, seeing how you have always wanted one I don't see it as a panic buy.

With the way things are right now you made the right choice.

If I had the cash and the parts were out there to buy I would have a 6.5 Grendel Upper, Dies, Brass and bullets shipping to my door!
Old January 18, 2013, 10:49 AM   #15
mk70ss

I justify all my purchases by saying, I wanted it, I bought it.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:53 AM   #16
seeker073180

Panic buys:
  1. Ruger Mark II Target - I've been looking at 22s after getting frustrated at my 41 for the amount of misfeeds/stovepipes (that's another story). I was really interested in the _17 Smith revolvers, but since the revolvers don't seem to be of the "persecuted", I've been putting it off. Spotted this little lightly used gem at a reasonable price. I think someone probably consigned it to make their budget on an "evil" gun. Shoots as expected and I'm very pleased at this panic/impulse buy.
  2. CZ Shadows - I've been looking at target 9s for awhile. Love my P226, but I haven't seen an X-5 anywhere (in person/online) AND they're ridiculously expensive. I really like my PCR and the Shadow is less than half the price of an X5 AND it comes with three hi-caps. Do you sense some "justification"??? .....So, I ordered two. They had "plenty" in stock a week ago. Ordered them midweek, but they were at SHOT. *crosses fingers* Hopefully, I'll get some good news this week and I'll eventually send one back for custom work treatment, but I wanted to be in possession before any laws changed.
  3. Springfield Armory XD(M) 4.5" 45acp - Probably the most panicky of my buys. Wanted a "big boy" gun, came with (2) 13rders. Held a P220, and the single stack 45s just don't fit my block-of-a hand quite right. The XDM shoots fine; it's my first .45, but I'd probably trade it in for any number of alternatives. The new Sig P227? HK? FNP?

We'll see what the future brings.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:00 PM   #17
smee78

I will admit that this issue did force my hand to purchase a Glock 21, I had been on the fence and my LGS had a nice used (looked new) gun in the case so I went ahead and got it. I would not call it panic buying because I was already interested in getting one but this one came with 3 13 round mags so....

Last edited by smee78; January 20, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:07 PM   #18
BoogieMan

In know everyone wanted to get those high cap mags before the possible bans. FYI- In Jersey when they banned anything over 15rds the higher cap rnds became a felony to own overnight. It wasnt that you couldnt get them, they are ilegal to poses.
On the flip side I was planning on buying before SHTF. I went and applied fopr my pistol permits (NJ) and so did everyone else. Now its taking 16 wks to get back permits so I can buy.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 20, 2013, 12:13 PM   #19
RBid

My panic buys:

- mags for a Glock 23, including 22 and 31 round mags

Next panic buy:

- the Glock 23...

Yup. I figure they'll keep making it with 10rd mags, worst case. I figure the mags are more likely to be a challenge in the future.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:14 PM   #20
tahunua001

I did a lot better than obamascare 2009

I only ended up with a Chinese SKS. granted I've never wanted an SKS in my life, Combloc guns just never did it for me. that and I had gotten rid of all my 7.62x39 stockpiles after I sold my POS AK but:
1. it was only $239, everywhere else had them for sale for well over $400.
2. the LGS had three of them and they let me take my best pick.
3. why not? it's a new gun and everyone's still focusing on the uber scary ones

in the end I wound up owning a very worn SKS with a lot of metal wear and a shrunken, loose wobbly stock so now I'm putting the crapco stuff on it to make it look scarier than it really is
Old January 20, 2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Nanuk

No reason to panic at all. Be prepared.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #22
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I justify all my purchases by saying, I wanted it, I bought it.
+1 ...

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 20, 2013, 02:39 PM   #23
DocHopper

I bought a shield 40 but I still want another. Truth to tell I bought the shield to resell, maybe. I really feels great in my hand. I wont shoot it until I decide.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:48 PM   #24
Unspoken

I wouldn't be too ashamed of an inflated panic-purchase, even if some would deem me a 'sucker' or whatever other insult applies. Even if I could afford it, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a grand for an AK or 500$ for a case of x39 right now.
But if you got something cool and fun to shoot, more power to you. Life is short man! Enjoy it!

I just met a fellow TFLer and bought 3 old rifles and ammo. I started to panic at the thought of him leaving the range without some of his rifles ending up in the bed of my truck. So I guess it was a panic-purchase.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #25
1goodshot

I bought a Beretta 92A1 just because and a mossburg 930 spx. Dont need either of them.Got good prices on both so Im happy