The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2012, 07:49 AM   #1
warningshot

Is it true....

That Ruger is in no hurry to make GPs? Ruger is having great success with the newer semiauto pistols and their MIM revolvers no dought.

What say you on the factory availability of new GP 100s?
Old December 23, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
GP100man

They`ll make more when they get `round to it !!

Like ya said the market is hot for autos & they gotta strike while the irons hot !!
Old December 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
PetahW

IDK, but if it was ME that was running a factory that had to stop taking orders for a few months so production could somewhat catch up with the demand for my product(s), I would for sure put priority on the products in the highest demand, AND those with the highest profit margin.

You can have ONE guess as to which Ruger product is in more demand & more profitable:The GP line, or the black plastic fantastics flying out the door.

(hint: If you guessed "GP", then go to the back of the line)

Old December 23, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Shotgun693

This might have changed, if so correct me, Ruger makes a run of a type of gun. All production goes to make a certain model for awhile when they have met their quota, they shut down that production and started on another gun. Like I say this might have changed. At one time you might not be able to buy a certain Ruger gun because they just weren't in production. Some years back I wanted a Mini 14 but there just weren't any from the factory. By the time production started on the Mini 14 I had bought something else.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Like the other big names, Ruger has a rotating production schedule. They don't have the capacity to make ALL models at the same time in continuous production.
Denis
Old December 24, 2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Shadi Khalil

I've been hearing a lot about the Ruger drought lately but have not seen any evidence of one, at least in my neck, which is N.Va. In fact, last weekend after some skeet shooting, I took my friend over to my favorite LGS to look at different CCW revolvers. They had GP's and SP's aplenty, including various barrel lengths. They also had a good selection of Blackhawks, Vaqueros and my wife even picked up a MKIII 22/45 for me a few weeks ago.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the normal rotating production schedule, enough guns of one model will be made to "fill the pipeline", stocking up dealers and distributors with enough guns to last until that model rotates around again. But if one model is selling as fast as it can be made, they will keep that line rolling and let other models go until they can satisfy the most demand.

If they are selling 10,000 Model X's a week, and haven't sold a Model Y for six months, why stop producing the Model X just because someone on a web site says he wants a Model Y and will throw a hissy fit if the company doesn't make him one.

Sorry, no evil plot or corporate greed or hatred of anyone personally. Just company common sense.

Jim
Old December 24, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
jimbob86

If they really are needing to stop taking new orders so production can catch up with existing orders, mehbeee .... they might need to espand production facilities, no?
Old December 24, 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
drail

Ruger's handguns are just one part of a huge investment casting business that supplies precision aerospace parts to NASA and several aviation companies. If they stopped making firearms next week they would not be going out of business. Most firearms manufacturers are actually pretty small companies compared to most other U.S. industries. Get'em while you can.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
orionengnr

Not revolver related, but tangentially on-topic...

Quote:
I've been hearing a lot about the Ruger drought lately but have not seen any evidence of one
Well, I've been on my LGS's "list" for an SR1911 for...let's see...I think this March will be three years.
You don't suppose there is some pent-up demand for that particular model, and you don't suppose they could sell every danged one they built if they kept just one production line running 24/7 for the next six months or so, eh?

Not like I really need one, as I have other 1911s.
But I just finally saw my very first in-the-flesh SR1911 at the Dallas Market Hall gun show the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The seller was asking $799, and he may have gotten it (certainly not from me).
Old December 24, 2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

Ruger makes semi-automatic pistols in one plant and revolvers in another. Running one would have no effect on the other unless drawing resources from the Arizona plant pulls resources from the New Hampshire plant.

I believe the Ruger rifles are made in the New Hampshire plant also, so maybe their production would impact the revolver production, but I kind of doubt it. They are sufficiently different that I imagine they are made in different sections.

They do respond, I am told by my local gun store, to special run requests. If you have a couple hundred thousand dollars to spend they will make a run of guns for you.

Lost Sheep
Old December 24, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr
Well, I've been on my LGS's "list" for an SR1911 for...let's see...I think this March will be three years.
Ouch.

That sounds like an issue with your LGS' supplier. I walked into my LGS a few months ago and they had two SR1911s left from I don't know how many that had come in recently. $650 and they were having a sale, so I got it for $600. Lovely piece, too.

I don't see many of them, but every once in a while there will be one in the display case. But they never seem to stay around for long. A week at the most.

But they do make appearances.

Lost Sheep
Old December 25, 2012, 12:22 AM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve

I placed my order or a 4" Redhawk in .45 Colt back in February.

When a year has gone by I'll get a small cake with a single candle. I'll place my order slip on the table and blow out the candle. Then shed a single tear followed by a moment of silence.
Old December 25, 2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

OP

Quote:
That Ruger is in no hurry to make GPs? Ruger is having great success with the newer semiauto pistols and their MIM revolvers no dought.

What say you on the factory availability of new GP 100s?
I was wondering the same thing pre Obama years ago about a new SS 4" Ruger Redhawk. With the money saved for that gun, I stocked up on some killer deals on ammo before the big scare.

LSS, I fell upon in the city of N. Las Vegas (9mm land) a used 95%+ RR Blued 5.5" with hogues and the factory wood's for $425+.

TBS, I'm more (way) than happy, what a babe! And I have plenty of new ammo for it which I bought before I bought the gun.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr

But I just finally saw my very first in-the-flesh SR1911 at the Dallas Market Hall gun show the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The seller was asking $799, and he may have gotten it (certainly not from me).

Tsk, tsk........ . .

Old December 25, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
Ruger is having great success with the newer semiauto pistols and their MIM revolvers no dought.
Investment cast does not an "MIM revolver" make. They are two different things/processes.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

Regarding expanded production, it has to be balanced out with projected demand over a period of several years.
New facilities & equipment are expensive, and the costs have to be absorbed by long term sustained demand.

Obama has skewed demand way beyond normal levels, but the market over the past four years & the current frenzy will not continue on indefinitely, and no maker wants to build new plants, buy expensive new equipment, and hire new bodies to meet a peak demand that may be all over with in two years.

From a business perspective, it's a more sound policy to stay a little behind demand than to grossly overexpand & then get caught with idle equipment & employee layoffs later on.

On a side note- I was told Ruger did hire over a hundred people this year.

And on the MIM- Ruger is expanding the use of MIM parts across the board.
Denis
Old December 25, 2012, 04:25 PM   #18
Shadi Khalil

I guess I made it sound like I don't believe there is a shortage. I know it's real, I just haven't experienced it myself. I know my shop had a SR1911 at some point but that was quite some time ago.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:29 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

military/LE orders vs general public....

That's a common misunderstanding that many private citizens don't realize.
Major arms makers(SIG Sauer, Ruger, S&W, Glock, HK, Beretta, Colt, etc) will produce or meet orders for the military and/or LE contracts FIRST.
The fact that you may want one stainless steel handgun or one certain type of sidearm isn't going to get a large factory or company in a serious tear to manufacture it just for you.
These firms like any other productive US business want to make $$$. A signed military contract for 50,000 sidearms & spare parts or a large PD/state LE agency that wants 8,000 new weapons is going to be handled first.
It's like the funny line I read in a gun forum a long time ago; A member wrote, "Who hates the general public more? HK-USA or Federal?"

Think about that when looking for a new handgun or rifle. FWIW; 3 of the handguns I purchased have been rare LE surplus or limited ed type guns.
You'll be very lucky to find a good value with some models or brands.

Clyde
Old December 25, 2012, 07:22 PM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
And on the MIM- Ruger is expanding the use of MIM parts across the board.
I drew the inference that the poster thought that Ruger revolvers were MIM. Despite the fact that Ruger may being going to all MIM internal parts, I doubt that the cylinder and frame will utilize MIM, but will stay with investment cast. Investment cast with mostly MIM parts still does not an "MIM revolver" make.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:55 AM   #21
Redhawk5.5+P+

Yes it's true!!!

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing pre Obama years ago about a new SS 4" Ruger Redhawk. With the money saved for that gun, I stocked up on some killer deals on ammo before the big scare.

LSS, I fell upon in the city of N. Las Vegas (9mm land) a used 95%+ RR Blued 5.5" with hogues and the factory wood's for $425+.

TBS, I'm more (way) than happy, what a babe! And I have plenty of new ammo for it which I bought before I bought the gun.
Nobody got my point! Just hold out, and a nice used (Like new) model will fall in your lap.
Old December 29, 2012, 02:58 AM   #22
riverrat38

"On a side note- I was told Ruger did hire over a hundred people this year."

So, Obama really is creating new jobs!

Best,
Rick