The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Nick S.

Aguila ammo claim.

While browsing the Natchez Winter catalog I noticed an ad for .22 L R Supper Maximum (page 15). It states it can be fired in any .22 L R gun in good condition. It has characteristics not far from those of the .22 magnum. Is there anyone out there who's used them & can vouch for these claims? Not bad if true, $3.29 for a box of 50(solid point). $3.69 hp/box of 50.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
C Philip

I've shot a box, but only out of an old Stevens bolt action so I can't comment on semi-auto function. They fired safely but the bolt was a little harder to open.
Old October 25, 2012, 04:22 PM   #3
carguychris

I've used the stuff before. It is loaded HOT and is absolutely devastating against those nasty water bottles and pesky bois d'arc apples. Blows 'em into little tiny pieces. I would NOT use them on small game that I intend to eat; there won't be much of the critter left intact.

This load, along with CCI Velocitors, are the only .22LR loads I've used that seem to go supersonic from a 4" S&W M18. I say "seem to" because I've never actually chrono'd them, but they make a very loud sonic "crack".

HOWEVER...
Quote:
[The catalog] states [Super Max] can be fired in any .22 L R gun in good condition.
Although they're probably not outright dangerous, I would NOT fire these rounds in a old and valuable semi-auto pistol such as a Colt Woodsman or a High Standard. I've tried them in a variety of newer semi-autos, and I could tell that they batter the action a good deal harder than regular high-velocity .22LR, so I would be concerned about premature wear on hard-to-replace parts.

That said, they cycle modern semi-autos with vigor, and have never stovepiped on me.

Also, they're reasonably accurate, albeit not quite as accurate as mid-grade high-velocity target loads such as CCI Mini-Mags or Federal Auto Match. Of course, as with any .22LR ammo, YMMV.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Nick S.

I'll be using them in my new Henry Golden Boy rifle. I also have a Ruger Mark III and the Ruger cowboy single action revolver I'd like to try them with. The revolver came with 2 cylinders. One for .22 L R, and one for .22 magnum. I've never fired it with magnums yet.