The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 1, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1
glynnkjk

Remington 1858..Identify?

Hello, I have a Remington 1858 but I am not sure exactly when it was made.
After surfing the web, none of the pics match it. On top of the barrel it is labeled, "Beals Patent 1858 Manufactured By RemingtonS Illon N.Y". Yes there is definitely an "S" at the end of Remington. The serial on the bottom of the barrel looks like "4032 X".

My concern is the shape of the loading arm..

http://www.mediafire.com/?tz1430vpcb5ho64
http://www.mediafire.com/?9829g9685lnn952

any thoughts???

Cheers,
Old December 1, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Jim March

Huh.

I'm almost wondering if the loading ram was "custom trimmed" to fit the holster, which was either for another gun or somebody wanted a "California Slim" profile holster which isn't really possible with a Remmie '58?

Very odd! I would look very closely at how the edge is finished on the area where the normal Remmie "web" would have been...see if it matches the rest of the gun or might have been reworked by hand?

The front sight appears period-correct for a Remmie. What's the barrel length? Is it an original-type length? It appears to be...

I'm not an expert in old Remmies...you need somebody who is, to try and ID whether that rammer pattern was normal in some variants. For all I know it might have been.
Old December 1, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Your photo comes up quite dark but from what I'm seeing, the loading lever has the typical "Beals" profile. Do some googling on Remington Beals and see what you come up with. The web on a Beals is different from what you would see on the typical NMA. Start with this link.

http://casguns.homestead.com/Rem_1858.html

You also might want to go over to CasCity and post some good clear photos of it on the SCORRS forum - the forum is dedicated to Remingtons and there are lots of knowledgeable fellows over there - the link is below

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=55.0

As an added side note - during the Civil War, Colt was charging the government $25.00 for their 1861 Colt Army Revolver - when Remington started selling the government their NMA - they charged them $12.50 each - half the price of a Colt.

Good luck - from what I can see, you have a pretty nice collectible revolver
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 1, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
sgms

From what I can see from the pictures the ram looks correct for a Remington-Beals Navy model but the winged end of the cylinder pin looks like it is missing. The Navy model is a 6 shot 36 cal. single action revolver with an octagonal barrel of 7 1/2 inch, barrel markings read BEALS PATENT SEPT.14, 1858(next line)MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON ILION N.Y. Serial numbers started at #1 and went in to 14-15,000 with some number overlap with the 1861 Navy. The Navy returned 1000 of the percussion beals in 1875 and had then converted to 38 CF cartridge revolvers.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Jim March

Wait...if it's really a Beals, and that means early model plus just over 4,000 made...then that could be a very damned valuable gun. Esp. if many got converted to cartridge later on and that one isn't...

You need a professional appraisal. Stat.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:09 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

This would do better in the black powder section.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
pohill

This is my Remington-Beals .36

Last edited by pohill; December 2, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
glynnkjk

Thank you all for the info, It would appear to be the 36 cal. Navy. I know that my GGGrandfather bought two sets of these in Chicago around 1860. A pearl handled set and a set of these. This is the only one I have the other have been lost to the ages. I have some of the caps too, but no balls?????