The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
EdInk

How long have you been a serious shooter?

I have noticed ALOT of new members on here lately. (Welcome to the forum.) I was just curious to know people's level of experience and duration of time you have been a serious shooter or had a significant interest in firearms?
Old March 22, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

I've had guns since 1968, but have been a serious shooter since about 1985.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3
oldkim

So what is your benchmark....

Meaning just going off years of firearm experience isn't truly a benchmark of how "experienced" one may have...

It's a mixture. We all come to firearms from different stages of our lives and develop through to become "serious" shooters...

I have 20 years as a concealed pistol license holder. Over 32 years of firearm experience as I started hunting when I was 9.

I have been a NRA Certified Instructor for over 7 years. In my "hayday" I was shooting over 30,000 rounds a year.

Started shooting IDPA back in 2003.

Now I put on shoots focused on shoot on the move near the Seattle, Washington area.

So back to your question... what is your benchmark to consider someone a "serious shooter?"

I have met guys that "have" firearm experience like me since they were kids but I wouldn't consider them "serious" but again I met guys that are like their first year and taking every class and buying several guns in a few months... and shooting every week.

Time isn't a good benchmark. It does give you a basic idea but really what have they done to get that experience and for what purpose.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old March 22, 2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Rembrandt

Began at Christmas.....1956.

Old March 22, 2011, 11:09 PM   #5
lefteye

I was a veteran shooter when Rembrandt started. Actually I started just a couple of years earlier and have never stopped, but Rembrandt probably has more experience.
Old March 22, 2011, 11:13 PM   #6
sirsloop

Better define serious shooter? I've been shooting guns since I was in my teens, and I would define all shooting as serious. Probably dropped my first chuck around 11-12yr with my grandfathers Marlin 39A.

Recreational, yes. Competitions, only the last year. Shooting to save my hide (armed forces/police/etc), no.

Lol... when I think "non-serious shooter" I have images of people shooting AK-47s in the air, and mac-10 spray n pray driveby's
Old March 23, 2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Double J

I started hunting at age three with my Dad. It was "serious" in that if we didn't kill meat, we didn't eat. That was 49 years ago. A groundhog was a feast, and the biggest game we had.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:04 AM   #8
EdInk

I would say your a serious shooter if you shoot regularly (at least once a month), have pretty extensive knowledge, a good bit of job related use, are an avid good hunter, teach classes, shoot competition etc.

It's very objective but I think most people have a pretty good idea of whether or not shooting is big part of their life.

I've been interested in firearms almost my whole life. (Particularly guns from WWII.) I shot various firearms every so often as a child. However, it wasn't until I was about 14 or 15 that I began getting really serious about them.

What about you guys (and gals)?
Old March 23, 2011, 10:09 AM   #9
aarondhgraham

Started in the early 60's,,,

I was a very serious shooter,,,
As long as I could afford .22 short ammo.

Shooting died off from 1970 to 1978,,,
I was in the Air Force and opportunities were limited,,,
Except for when I was able to befriend a range-master on base.

1878 to 1996 I was married to a woman who owned horses,,,
Being horse-poor I couldn't afford any serious shooting,,,
A divorce and moving from California fixed that.

1996 to 2004 I was a poor-but-honest college boy,,,
All I could afford to shoot was my venerable Colt .22 Frontier Scout.

2005 to present I graduated and got a big-boy job,,,
I joined a gun range and started shooting 3-4 times a week,,,
I also started buying quality guns so the shooting is much more fun.

I'm a serious recreational shooter now,,,
I shoot for the sheer joy of hitting my intended target,,,
I just wish I still had the eyesight I enjoyed when I had no money.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 23, 2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Since I was old enough to hold a gun on my own.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:21 AM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

I was serious since the day I picked up my first Red Ryder BB gun. That was 29 years ago.
Old March 23, 2011, 01:33 PM   #12
larryf1952

I've been "serious" about shooting and firearms in general since about the age of 8, when I lusted for a scoped Daisy BB gun as a Christmas present. That was 1960. In the years that followed, I hunted birds, rabbit and squirrel with my father, grandfather, uncles and cousins in central KS. I learned how to shoot and handle shotguns and rifles.

After my marriage, I got serious again about handgun collecting and shooting, shortly followed by another entry into reloading. There have been times when I've shot a lot and been very active in the sport, taught an NRA certified course, and times when I've lapsed and done very little, due to other commitments.

I consider guns and shooting to be a hobby and interest that has developed as a part of my personality, and as such, I'm serious about them. Through the years of experience and involvement, my knowledge has grown. Even within the shooting community, there are many different levels of involvement. I think that someone who just likes guns and shooting, as I do, can certainly be as "serious" about the sport as someone who might take part in weekly competition, or spend many more $$ on guns and gear. It's all a matter of perspective, mindset and means.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:37 PM   #13
SauerGrapes

My father was a serious shoooter when I was very young and while in the Navy.
My grandfather was an avid hunter in his day.
Needless to say I sarted shooting very young. {7 yrs old}Didn't pick up a gun between 30 and 51 yrs of age. I've been trying to make up for lost time...lol. Now I shoot almost every weekend.
Strictly a recreational shooter but nontheless serious about my hobby. Been carrying for about 4yrs and doing a lot of reading.
This may be the yr I try some USPSA or IDPA type shooting. {if I can ever get off the clay target fields, lol}

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 23, 2011, 02:43 PM   #14
4runnerman

I was serious since the day I picked up my first Red Ryder BB gun. That was 29 years ago

Yes the good old days. Remember them,God you could put 750 BB's at once in them. Good for the whole day. Unfortunatly-Mine was well over 29 years ago.... Now i get out once a week and just enjoy..
Old March 23, 2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Jimmy10mm

I've been a shooter for 40 years and shot NRA Bullseye in the '70s. Reloaded and cast my own bullets some of the time. I've been a CCW license holder for 15 years and get range time in every week or two. So as far as 'serious' goes, I have been hot and cold over the 40 years. Right now I'm hot.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:35 PM   #16
glockcompact

Yea, what's your idea of a serious shooter?
I didn't start shooting till my early 20's. That was late 80's. I just didn't have the exposure to it when I was younger or I certainly would have shot sooner. I fell in love with it right away. Started reloading too. Joined the USMC late in life and recieved a decent amount of training there. The only compitition shooting I did was in the Marines. I've been shooting recreational since then. I don't put near as much lead down range as some of you. And I surely don't put as much down range as I would like to. My wife and I shoot about twice a month in the summer and we try to get out as much as possible in the winter.
Brit.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:38 PM   #17
markj

Always been a part of our life here, but not like some. It isnt the only thing I think about or do, actually dont think on it at all, it just is. Always was a competitive shooter in teh sense of hunting, and some practise. Dad did trap shoots, he had many a trophy, his Uncle shot for Ithaca, the kids have them guns were special made for him wit hhis name engraved etc. I was told they had a train in teh old days wouold travel around the counr=try and the shooters would demonstrate the guns. Then folks would line up and buy

Uncles and cousins in teh Marines taught me how to long range shoot. We just did it, wasnt any internet then so the only way to meet like minded folks was to go to the range and strike up a conversation. Was a much friendlier place to meet folks than here I can say that for sure.

Then again seems to be a lot of younger folk here and the generation gap thing is huge to me.

Folks at the range are much more pleasant to have a conversation with, no bashing, no slams or attacks on the character just cause of the ammo he uses or the gun he chose to shoot......
Old March 23, 2011, 03:46 PM   #18
Oneida Steve

I've been a serious shooter since 1977 when I bought my first target pistol, a High Standard Supermatic Trophy. I still have it.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:44 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

My first shooting trip was when I was 3 months old.

I started reloading when I was about 6 years old*.

It has been expensive, ever since.

*With supervision, of course.
Old March 23, 2011, 05:06 PM   #20
G. Freeman

21 years now. Bought my first pistola in 1990, i've been serious ever since--buying, selling, reloading, shooting, etc.

I'm tiring of the constant buying and selling, so think it's time to slow down and just enjoy shooting. I haven't spent much money in terms of accessories in the last 3 months, so that's a good thing.

The only thing I would want (and I've told this to my wife already) is that when the CA DOJ list is dissolved, I would like to buy a Les Baer Longslide hardchromed. Of course, I would have to sell 2-3 guns to finance that one.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:23 PM   #21
TheNatureBoy

Since Nov 10, 2008. The day I stated reloading.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:55 AM   #22
EdInk

SauerGrapes,

I see you have been a member for a while but this is the first time I recall seeing you post on a thread. I just HAD to give you credit for having THE best "play on words" name! Brilliant.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:13 AM   #23
madmo44mag

I been shooting and a serious shooter since 1974.
There was a 8 year laps when my kids were very young and I did not keep ammo in the house and all the guns locked down.
I still shot but only a few times a year.
For the last 5 years I have been a shooting coordinator in Dallas / Ft.Worth for a Texas based gun forum. I arrange and manage monthly shoots.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:24 AM   #24
Vt.birdhunter

Dad had me shooting 20 gauges and .22s in the second grade, .270's and 12 gauges before adolescence. I got serious when I turned 18 and could starting buying firearms of my own (First was my "mountain rifle", REM 700 LSS 7mm mag).
Old March 24, 2011, 09:30 AM   #25
zippy13

What's serious?… when I started competing on a Jr. rifle team in the early 60s, when got my first target specific gun and reloader after returning from 'Nam in '68, or the first time I traveled over 1,000 miles to a nationally sanctioned event in the mid 80s?