The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2006, 05:08 PM   #1
cgbills

Stainless Steel Barrels for hunting

does anyone think that deer or coyote can be scared off by the brightness of a SS barrel? are there disadvantages to hunting with a ss barrel?
Old December 11, 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
SD_Chop

I hunt with a SS rifle and a SS pistol and to my knowledge have not had problems. I have had deer look right at me before, and down the SS barrel with no problem. Might pose a problem to say turkeys or such but I think they are the best barrels for outdoors
Old December 11, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
hossdaniels

Most of the ss bbls I see now are the dull fininsh instead of the shiny polished finish. To me they reflect less light than a blued bbl, but they are lighter in color, which seem to stand out more in low light. My hunting rifle and pistol are dull finish ss, and haven't had any problems yet. But I never had problems with blued bbls either(except for rainy/rusty days ).
Old December 12, 2006, 12:28 AM   #4
formerflyer

I've had migratory birds (Ducks, Geese and Dove) flare from my nickle plated coach-gun, so I camo taped it.

I've had my stainless rifles matte finished and blued. The bluing doesn't last as long as it does on a carbon steel firearm but it is otherwise undistinguishable.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old December 17, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
masterhunter

Just about every one of my guns are ss and I wouldnt have it any other way. Shoot! if I could get a rem 11/87 supermag in ss I'd be in heaven....really I would.
I have never had a problem with ss in the woods or anywhere else for that matter. as far as a coyote or deer being scared off by the ss, I guess if you waved the barrel of your gun back and forth in front of them like a flag blowing in the wind......but then again, same results from happen if it was blued or matte!
Old December 17, 2006, 11:47 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

I dunno, but I don't take any chances; I camo-taped my one stainless - my muzzleloader - actually it's nickel-plated.
Old December 18, 2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Scorch

Tape works. You can also try a gun sock for camouflaging bright stainless.
Old December 19, 2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My primary hunting rifle is a Weatherby. They don't come much shinier than that, when you consider both the barrel and the shine of the stock's coating.

Given my success rate through the years, I don't think it's all that much of a problem...

Art
Old December 21, 2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Jseime

It doesnt matter if you were to ask me. If the deer doesnt see the guy behind the rifle with the white coveralls and the red hat on they wont notice the gun.

People are way too worried about being seen and smelled. I find that if a deer or coyote spots you or catches wind of you they pause giving a perfect opportunity for a shot. Thats just my personal experience though.
Old December 21, 2006, 07:49 PM   #10
SD_Chop

Yea a lot of people dont realize that the first sent usually smelled and trigger the dear is the odor of human but the gun powder and oil on your rifle its not a natural smell
Old December 29, 2006, 09:13 PM   #11
one-shot-one

had a

ss mini 14 once and used the spray paint they sell to camo hunting bows on it, got a few compliments on it an it wore pretty well for what it was. but i don't think it is nessicary for deer.