The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2000, 11:18 AM   #1
westcangunner

Could someone direct me to, or provide me with some handgun load info on using WST in

240 gr LSWC 44 mag
and
158 gr LSWC 357 mag

These loads will be used for plinking, targets and varmints. I use this powder for my shotguns and my 45 ACP target loads. Be nice to find some info to use it in the rest.

Thanks from the Great White North

WCG
Old October 25, 2000, 04:46 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Well...you could try the Winchester free booklet for their advice or write or phone them in USA, but I feel that the Super Trap powder is possibly too fast for heavier projectiles for the 44 to push them over the W/Cutter stability factor?
I reload Herco 'Green Dot' in a 6" 38Spl revolver with 3.5gn Green Dot(MAX load...safe in my K14)for plinking with standard 158gn SWC and 0.7gn less for target matches with similar linotype WCs. So no problems anticipated for low velocity loads in your .357 .

Any good reloading manual should help here re starting loads, but unfortunately I do not have my Nick Harvey, Hornady of 47th Lyman books to hand to-day....can anyone else help westcangunner on this one ? If not I can reply to-night.

Good project though...one powder cannister for everything, you could buy it in bulk very cheaply - maybe a 20lbs drum at a time- if legal where you are !

BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old October 25, 2000, 07:51 PM   #3
SeaHaze

WestCan,
I use WST in my Python and my Browning HP .40S&W. Got my reload data from www.winchester.com/home.html
Downloaded and printed their tables which are in PDF. Have fun
Best,
SeaHaze

------------------
"Those who would purchase
security with their
liberty, deserve
neither." B. Franklin

"The 2nd Amendment; it ain't about duck huntin'." bumper sticker
Old October 26, 2000, 09:52 AM   #4
westcangunner

Thanks for the replies.

I have all the reloading books and Ive been to the Winchester site. Lots of data available, but not for the WST powder in those calibers. Seems to me that the lack of load data would mean that the powder/bullet/cartridge combination probably sucks.

For plinkers it would just be nice to change the powder bushing, pull the handle, make bullet.

If I get bored this weekend I'll work a couple of loads up and see what happens.

I'll keep ya posted, and thanks again

WCG