The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 19, 2013, 09:20 PM   #101
MercyfulFate

I can't buy anything because of the panic buyers, it's really aggrivating. I only have enough for one range trip and I try to buy a box or two if I can, and I can't because they're all gone!
Old February 19, 2013, 09:34 PM   #102
lamarw

I feel for you Mercy. You and others are the ones who get hurt the most. When and if this all settles down start reloading on your own. It is not difficult, it will save you money, and it will help in times like this.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:45 PM   #103
Ole man 52

I guess I'm lucky-----I have 6000 primers and 4 pounds of powder. I have way more 9,40,45 cases then I could shoot. I do buy bullits but they are lead and the local shooter supply house sells them . He has not raised his prices and has primers and powder. When I read about you guys not being able to find things, I consider myself more than lucky .
Old February 20, 2013, 12:26 AM   #104
seeker_4

I didn't but kindda wish I had a little more before. I have 16 .22LR... not boxes, but individual shells. Today on the radio they said Homeland Security is buying up all the ammo... including .22.
But even for reloading it is costing a bunch and HARD to find anything. I now have enough of everything to last a long time but it's not against me to run out and fire off a couple hundred rounds playing. But I'm retired with sometimes too much time on my hands.
The worse part... my .223 is my coyote rifle (mini-14) and that's the hardest to find. I can do about 3000 rounds now and my friends are all giving me this "please may I" look.
But I agree... the guy just wanting to go shoot for a while is getting hurt the worse. .40 S&W was going for $850 per 1000 at the gun show. The line was 3 hours long and they ran out half way through. That is pure greed at it's highest, but supply and demand is ruling. I have to drive 180 miles round and spent about 6 hours chasing down enough components to load even. I bought molds to build bullets even and going to start raking at the range. Don't know how the working guy is gonna do it.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:46 AM   #105
Bartholomew Roberts

I panic bought a SAF Life Membership, an NRA Endowment Membership, a TSRA Endowment Membership, and then made panic donations to CTCDL, NYSR&PA, SAF and NRA-ILA. That is it so far...
Old February 20, 2013, 09:04 AM   #106
Rifleman1776

I am not but only because by budget won't allow it.
Cannot buy .22lr locally. I can't afford the modern guns I want.
My supply of lead for casting muzzle loading round balls is low. But, I do have a good supply of (real) black powder. Would buy more though if I could afford.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:47 PM   #107
SPEMack618

I've said it before, and we'll probably say it again and then go bash my head against a wall, but if everyone who panic bought the latest and greatest AR- or enough PMAGs to outfit a small African nation's defense force would have contributed to the SAF, ILA, NRA, GOA or whomever, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Imagine the price of one PMAG or box of UMC .223 multiplied by all the jimbobs who went and panic bought donated towards an actual fights for our rights.

If the fight for liberty ever comes down to the cartridge box, then the fight is long lost.

Donate, call, write, and call some more.

That being said, I did buy up every box of .380 I could find after Christmas, but only because my sister decided she actually "liked" to shoot her Bodyguard.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:56 PM   #108
bikerbill

I wouldn't call it panic ... but I've been on hold for about 20 minutes with Natchez to order some 9mm range ammo ... price isn't terrible -- $15.75 for 50 -- and I can't find ammo locally anywhere ...

And I agree with the above ... whenever I buy anything gun-related -- like today -- I send $25 to the NRA legal fund.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:04 PM   #109
sigcurious

Does buying a bolt action rifle with an 4 round blind magazine count? The only thing I've paid an inflated price for has been the .308 ammo to feed it. So I while I've engaged in buying, I don't think it was panic buying. Plus it had been a few months since I made a major firearms purchase, the itch was getting unbearable!
Old February 20, 2013, 03:08 PM   #110
gdvan01

Quote:
Panic buying is like waiting till your house catches fire to start shopping for a fire extinguisher.
Agreed.
Was well stocked ahead of time.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old February 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #111
Tom Servo
Staff

I haven't. So far, my only purchase has been a revolver and a Ruger Takedown. The worst part is finding .22 so I can get the Ruger sighted in
Old February 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #112
zincwarrior

I managed to pass on acquiring some 12 round magazines for my M&Pc yesterday. I have plenty but I was thinking of about five more because I occasionally IDPA with it, instead of my regular M&P.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:52 PM   #113
flybuddy

Classic catch 22 (lr)
People are hoarding ammo because they can't find any
People can't find any because they are hoarding
Old February 20, 2013, 05:45 PM   #114
MercyfulFate

I got a 92fs for $450 from a private sale with 100rnds of ammo, so I'm not panic buying. If a dealer or greedy person was selling it I'd have paid $600-$700 for it probably!

I just want some ammo though, but all the stores are sold out of 9mm or are selling it at INSANE prices. $40 for 50 9mm rounds? No thank you.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old February 20, 2013, 08:39 PM   #115
SauerGrapes

No panic buying here. I can't find what I'm looking to buy, so I guess I'll just have to wait.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 20, 2013, 09:31 PM   #116
eldermike

I have paid to much for a few things such as primers and a brick pf 22 lr. I have never been one that thinks about survial in terms of stocks of food and ammo.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:10 PM   #117
seeker_4

I don't think donating is panic... that's becoming a member to try and preserve your rights. Panic to me is more than you need or can afford. I do know a guy that maxed his credit cards buying what he believed may be going away... and now... he has a couple guns for sale to pay his bills. Nice part is they are being bought for what he paid, less NICS fee.
But the guy really wanting to go out and spend a few rounds for pleasure, and can't... he's the one paining for not panicing when the time was here. I was just niave and now it's costing me more to be even. But donating is an anytime choice.....
Old February 21, 2013, 01:07 AM   #118
mack59

Bought lots years ago and have kept stock current and up til recently and with winter and being busy writing and calling reps, plus all the usual, work, kids, girlfriend have no need for more for awhile. Stocked up on extra magazines for all my guns a couple of years after the first AWB lapsed. So got plenty of everything for now.

Kids do like .22lr though so that will be the first thing I will need to replenish down the road. The real pain is going to be the incredibly higher replacement cost for the ammo when I need to start looking and buying - thank God I reload for all my rifles and .45acp for pistols. May be looking into 9mm reloading down the road too. Keeping an eye on reloading supplies and they are scarce and hard to find around here as well as more expensive.

But no, haven't bought anything in last 6 months. Have donated more money to NRA, ISRA, CCI, and SAF though.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:32 AM   #119
Ignition Override

Not quite, but only to buy ten boxes of .303 British, which I do every six months or so.

Only one distributor had it at the old price-this was the reason. Would not have bought it at the new prices.

It's quite a benefit having No version of any AR platform.
If I had decided to buy an AR, the time to buy extra ammo would have been both times Before the '08 and '12 elections, provided the cash were available.

Did those who panicked since mid-December Not know about the growing media focus on evil rifles or handguns after Tucson, Aurora and Portland?
What other Indications did people Need that the AR types etc were increasingly in the mass medias' spotlights?
Old February 21, 2013, 02:34 AM   #120
Justice06RR

I have not partcipated in the panic buy, although I still try to pick up a couple boxes of ammo a week to replenish and increase my supply. Luckily I bought the last 2 guns I needed before the Newtown tragedy, a Ruger 10/22 and a Glock19 for pre-panic prices.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:15 PM   #121
Marduk

An eye opener.

Not really panic buying but placing orders for what I feel I need. If its available at a reasonable price now, great. Otherwise I submit a back order and will wait. Problem is I cannot place orders on primers or powder locally and I refuse to pay the hazmat unless I am left with no other option down the road. I am more concerned with some scum bag in Washington outlawing what I have and making availability a moot point. But I'll tell ya that range shooting is a thing of the past for me unless they let me blow off some Russian Wolf.
Might be time to make some Hawkeye type arrows!
Old February 27, 2013, 09:58 PM   #122
CWKahrFan

Armslist has exploded in volume over the past 4 months.
Since the gunstores and online sources are so low in inventory, there's a ton more buyers going to armslist... and a ton more sellers too because it's quite easy to move guns in all price ranges now since there aren't a whole lot of guns around anywhere else to buy.

I cleared out ALL my cheaper guns because I figure there probably won't be a better time to do so. There's also a way bigger VARIETY of guns on armslist now because a LOT of people have decided this is a great time to be selling.
Some really desireable guns are gone within a couple of hours, so if you see something you really want on there, I suggest you move fast.

Ammo too... I sold 1800 rds. of milsurp on armslist over the past two weeks at a very good price because buyers can't get much ammo of any kind anywhere else.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:59 PM   #123
mayosligo

Anyone NOT engage in panic buying?

Just a report. Went to Academy Sports today. Nothing for pistols. The did have some 30-06 and other larger rifle rounds. No 307 or 223.
They did have 12 gauge for birds and clays.
So still pretty bad.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:02 PM   #124
Evan Thomas

Mike Irwin has started a thread in this forum titled The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc... That's the one, central thread where discussions of the availability of these things should now be taking place. Feel free to continue the conversation there.