The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
spacecoast

Federal .22LR

Why does Federal produce what appears to be the same ammo in two different boxes? The box on the left is slightly bigger but holds fewer rounds.

Old October 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I don't know if there is a difference,,,

But the stuff on the right runs well in all of my semi-auto guns.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 28, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Metal god

I don't know if there is a difference,,,

But the stuff on the right runs like crap through all of me semi-auto's and my model 60 jams almost every shot with it . My 22/45 jams more often then when useing CCI blazers . my 10/22 does not like them much either .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 28, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Pilot

I've never used the stuff on the left, but the stuff on the right runs great in my four Ruger MK II's, and my 10/22.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
slowlowmiata

Stuff on the left runs perfect in my 22 ar
Old October 28, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
WIL TERRY

THOSE TWO BOXES are for different marketing companies. The box of 550 is exclusively WALMART's.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Hansam

What Will Terry said - marketing for two different vendors.

As for reliability that stuff is what I buy from Wal-Mart by the shopping cart full (ok not really that much, more like a half a shopping cart full - really!) and my family goes through a LOT of it.

Between my kids, my wife and myself we go through at least 5k rounds every time we take a family trip to the range (once a week). My kids love blasting away at the reactive targets I put out at 25, 50 and 75 yards for them and my wife runs through a ton of them in her 1911 with the .22lr conversion. My kids use a 10/22, an AR with a CMMG .22lr upper, a Rossi break action single shot .22lr and a Ruger Single Six revolver. I like to sit there and try to blow up soda cans at 200 yards (which often ends up using up a lot of ammo because I haven't quite learned how to consistently judge wind with a .22lr yet.)

Aside from that I go to the range twice a week outside of family day. When I'm out there I'll run a bunch through my AR with the .22lr upper and also through the 1911 with the .22lr conversion. I'd estimate that to be another couple thousand rounds.

Anyway I do experience a failure to ignite once in a while - maybe once or twice a week. Frankly one or two failures to ignite in those many guns with that many rounds being fired is pretty darned good for me.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
1-UP

As was mentioned, the packaging difference is due to one being exclusive to Wal-Mart while the other goes to everybody else. That said, there may be something to the whole "two factories/lines" thing.
Pretty much only ever buy Federals - usually from Wal-Mart (about the only reason I'll go into the store). Like the bullet a lot, but supply started getting scarce and I hated stopping at the store to leave empty-handed. Decided to try ordering online from Cabela's during a sale. Got the Federals (525 packs instead of the 550s) and Wow, there was a difference. Generally, the bullets I got from Wal-Mart looked shiny, polished, and nice. They fed like a champ through all of my firearms. The stuff I got from Cabela's, however, was dirty and nasty-looking, like they were coated in wax somebody had chewed on. Gives my 10/22 fits trying to chamber it although it seems to shoot fine. 3 of the 4 boxes I got were like this - haven't opened the last yet, but I imagine it's the same.

I seem to remember hearing not too long ago that Federal was bought up by CCI or vice-versa. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
Old October 28, 2012, 11:34 PM   #9
SPEMack618

Yeah, the value pack stuff runs fine through my 10/22 and 22/45, and while I've never bought the "bulk box" of the Champion load, I've bought a couple of the 50 rounds small boxes from Academy Sports and Outdoors, and my 22/45 did not, I mean did NOT, like them at all.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:06 PM   #10
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Generally, the bullets I got from Wal-Mart looked shiny, polished, and nice. They fed like a champ through all of my firearms. The stuff I got from Cabela's, however, was dirty and nasty-looking, like they were coated in wax somebody had chewed on
Had the opposite experience. The Wal-Mart Value packs to me have a poorer copper coating and look cheaper. I didn't know they were just marketing because I thought I could see a difference. And the "Champion" is a Federal Brand name.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:14 PM   #11
CajunBass

Yep. Wal-Mart/everybody else.

They both work fine in all my guns.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 4, 2012, 07:24 PM   #12
moxie

Never a misfire or malfunction in my Model 60. Good stuff. They are both the same.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old November 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
spanishjames

Quote:
They are both the same.
We need pictures!!
Old November 5, 2012, 01:53 AM   #14
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishjames View Post
We need pictures!!
Here you go. Can you guess which is which?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1352098440673.jpg (47.9 KB, 47 views)
Old November 5, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
vito

When did 22lr start coming in boxes of 525 rather than 500? I had such a stash of 22lr ammo in the old Winchester white "brick", i.e., 10 boxes of 50 each for a total of 500 rounds that I had not bought any 22 ammo for several years. Now that I am buying again, I find them in boxes of 525. Not sure why the manufacturers would make this change but I guess the packaging is cheaper than making 10 small boxes to go into 1 larger box.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
spanishjames

Quote:
Nazshooter: Here you go. Can you guess which is which?

They're similar, but I can't really tell from the picture because of the flash and focus.

We need: Better pictures!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zz22lr.jpg (47.9 KB, 195 views)
Old November 5, 2012, 10:39 AM   #17
JWT

As near as I can tell they're the same. Have used both in my rifles and handguns and they work fine. Decent ammo at an affordable price.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:58 AM   #18
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Here you go. Can you guess which is which?
Champion on the left, ValuePack on the right.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
Champion on the left, ValuePack on the right.
You called it. From the boxes on my shelf at least, the Champion bullets appear somewhat "beat up" compared to the WW bulk. The coating appears thicker as well but that may be because it isn't as smooth. Both seem to feed just fine in my mkII.

Old November 5, 2012, 11:00 PM   #20
berettaprofessor

I always thought the coating on Champion looked thicker too...which was why I was able to call it. So, next question, if we can see the difference, are they really the same? We need to reach somebody in the manufacturing plant for this question.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:11 AM   #21
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
I always thought the coating on Champion looked thicker too...which was why I was able to call it. So, next question, if we can see the difference, are they really the same? We need to reach somebody in the manufacturing plant for this question.
It's hard to see in that picture but there is some sort of "collar" on each near where the bullet seats in the case. It looks like it's intended to engage the rifling? That part looks significantly different so I'd say that at least the bullets came off of different production lines.

Old November 6, 2012, 11:14 AM   #22
Don P

The ammo made for Walmart is crap. It has to be cause I read it on the internet.
Same stuff and all my 22's run on either one of the box's posted
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:29 AM   #23
zincwarrior

Quote:
When did 22lr start coming in boxes of 525 rather than 500? I had such a stash of 22lr ammo in the old Winchester white "brick", i.e., 10 boxes of 50 each for a total of 500 rounds that I had not bought any 22 ammo for several years. Now that I am buying again, I find them in boxes of 525. Not sure why the manufacturers would make this change but I guess the packaging is cheaper than making 10 small boxes to go into 1 larger box.
At least a decade. I say at least as my memory fades after that.

I know Federals and Remingtons generally come in 500+ bricks.
My two Brownings favor the Federal over anything else but aren't picky. They will feed any of the Fedreals fed it (Walmart, non Walmart, and the non copper plated raw lead stuff as well). Federal seems to FTFire less than either Remington or Winchester in my pistols. Your mileage may vary.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:11 PM   #24
Pahoo

I don't trust, Federal bulk-packs

Because of all the problems I've had, in my 10/22's with the stuff on the left or Grey box, that came from Walmart, I do not trust any Federal bulk packs, regardless. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 9, 2012, 06:36 AM   #25
cajun47

walmart 550 bulk is all i shoot. good stuff.