The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Lyman Tru-line Junior

Someone asked me for a recommendation on a loading press. Since I only ever owned the Lee Classic (which I like a lot) I could not make an educated guess. So I decided to go buy a different press so that at least I had something to compare the Lee press to.

I got a deal on a Lyman True-line Junior on evil Bay.

It was missing several parts but I like this press too.

For one thing this press is made like a tank. Steel parts are very precise and made of good quality steel. The bulk of it is cast iron.

It is easy to take apart.

The drawback is the requirement to use small dies (310 series dies, which I think are 5/8th instead of 7/8th inch).

I solved this problem by making a turret from 3/4 inch stock shown in the photo.

I am going to rehab this press and my original thought was to try it out and then sell it again on the eBay. But if I can get it working right, I may just keep the darned thing.

I will post some photos of the project as it moves forward.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've not seen one of those in years.

They were apparently highly regarded.

Question...

Could you drill and retap the original turret to use standard size dies, or isn't there enough metal?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Mike

I suppose it could be done that way, in fact I thought I might try it.

But then I figured that changing the original turret would detract from the value of the machine. I also was not anxious to be drilling and tapping in cast iron.

So I made the spare unit to fit the larger dies.

There is a knucklehead on Evil bay who has the replacement turrets (larger dies) for sale for seventy bucks a pop. At that price he can keep them.

I also made an adaptor to use the Lee shell holders. But I find that the original primer holder is slightly large for the holes in the Lee shell holders. So now I have to go out and buy a second shell holder to fit the adaptor but then drill it out for the Lyman Primer holder.

This sounds like a lot of trouble but it is a labor of love.

And once I am finished I will have a very versatile press.

I just finished stripping the paint off of the cast iron parts. I found some rustoleum which is a good match for the original color. The original paint was "crinkle finish" paint and I will never know why they chose that style finish. It attracted grease and oil beginning sometime around 1975.

I'll post photos when the final coat is dry.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
olmontanaboy

They are a neat vintage press, I had one years ago along with the 310 tongs large and small. I had a lot of the die sets also but sold it all. It's a classic.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

The paint is almost dry....

...I can't wait to slap this thing together and try it out.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

My new 35 year old press

I'm keepin this thing.

I may go out and buy another one.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
spitpatch

Tru-Line

I sold one a couple years ago on e-bay. Had the original box & papers. Still use an old Herters press that I have had since the mid 50s.
Nice restore job, thanks for sharing, brings back memories.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:55 AM   #8
olmontanaboy

Looks brand new. Lyman still sells some die sets to fit this press: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/d...n-310-tool.php
Old October 12, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

$72.50!!!

Holy Sweet Mother of Dog!

What are they making them out of? Gold plated unobtanium?

Old October 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #10
olmontanaboy

If-in yous wants to play, den yous gots to pay
Old October 12, 2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Thats right guys....

There is a knucklehead on the Evil Bay who has a 7/8th Turret for the press for seventy bucks.

This is a piece of cast iron with five holes in it for seventy bucks.

J style shell holders are going for 20 to 25 dollars.

I am making my own.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Malamute

Parts are around for less money. I dont recall where, but theres a forum that has an area that included 310 stuff, and likely Tru Line.

I've bought a number of parts pretty reasonable. Usually at gun shows. One box had 3 or 4 compete die sets, and 3 partial die sets, several adapters for 310 to normal presses, and some priming parts. I think I paid $45 for the box, tho the dies needed a little tlc. Pawn shops and old gun shops often have 310 stuff around and will often sell cheap. I don't remember what I paid for my tru line press, but it was probably about $30-$40 with a set of dies I believe.

I think I generally pay about $1-$5 for parts like priming rams and shell holder adapters. If they want too much, I make an offer, if it's more than I want to pay, I move on,...

Theres a shop that deals in 310 stuff. It was bought several years ago, and the prices went way up. I did business with the old guy a few times, but can't get used to the new improved prices.

Anybody need a complete new/old 310 set up in 30-06? I have a spare set in the box.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

Good words, Malamute

I am going to the gun show tomorrow in Hampton VA.

I hope to score some stuff there.

I finished making my small pistol primer rod for the thing about an hour ago.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

How easy are the turrets to rotate on the Tru Line?

I have a Lyman T-Mag that I bought when my old Lee turret finally gave up the ghost. I could never get comfortable with it, so I ended up springing for a Lee Classic Cast turret when it came out.

When I finally get my basement reconfigured and set up the way I want it, I'll put the T-Mag on the bench and use it to reload rifle rounds.

Old October 13, 2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

Mike,

It rotates very easily but the actual force required depends upon how tight the jam nut is. You can tighten it down so it won't turn at all.

The sleeve under the turret has four holes. In the turret there is a spring loaded ball bearing that rides into these holes like a detent when the turret is positioned properly.

When I made the turret for the 7/8th dies, I did not try to get that fancy.

The way I load, I can't use a progressive press. I set the press for expanding (as an example) and go through all of the cases I intend to load in the session. Then to seating them all and crimping them all and so forth. So I will set up the press with the turret in the right position, lock it down with the jam nut and let'er rip.

Just out of pure luck, I was able to get the center hole in the turret I made to be very precise. It is as smooth as the original turret. The die holes are pretty good as well except for one which is slightly off. I may find when I start using it, that I actually have three holes instead of four.

I went to the gun show today and picked up the .357 dies set I need and some primers. TomADC was kind enough to send me some brass so as soon as I can come up with the tools I need to make the shell holders, I'll be in business with the press.

(Still need a crimp die, a bullet sizer luber and a mold.)
Old October 13, 2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

Here's photos of...

..The primer rod I made for small pistol primers.

Comparison with the original large pistol primer rod that came with the press (Blacked rod is the original. White metal is the one I made.)

Nuther shot in which you can see the difference in the size of the primer cup.

Here it is in the press. Fits nice and snug.

And to think I made this thing with a file and an electric drill.

That was a joke.