The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1
jambrdly

how to get primer pockets clean?

How does one get primer pockets clean? I have used corncob media, walnut media etc. - and I use the lee pocket cleaner - still residue left and it makes it hard to fully seat the new primer. I am using Remington 7 1/2 bench rest primers. Are these a particdulary dirty primer perhaps?
Old June 5, 2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Sevens

Most folks find that no amount of tumbling nor choice of media will clean primer pockets with a vibratory cleaner. I think the new sonic cleaners will do it. For everyone else, it's a single piece by hand operation.

For me, it's easier than ANY method anyone will ever come up with: I quit doing them. I quit! And I haven't noticed a difference. Most of my handloading and shooting is with handguns at 7 to 25 yards.

The other problem with trying to use a vibratory cleaner to clean primer pockets (beyond that fact that it pretty much doesn't clean them...) is that media gets stuck in the flash holes. Can be a pretty ugly when you have those stuck in a primer pocket or flash hole.

The other issue is... how are you getting those primers out before you clean the brass? If you are resizing them -- then you are putting all of that brass filth through your sizing die. Not good.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
farmerboy

Completley same as Sevens stated. I dont even clean rifles other than using a primer pocket reamer (flash holes deburred) but dont clean the pockets and cant even tell a difference.
Old June 5, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
How does one get primer pockets clean?
One whut?

I don't bother either. There's no point in it. The residue is not a problem.

Some have tested reults clean pockets VS. pockets left dirty. Both during shooting groups and chronograph tests, NO DIFFERENCE!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 5, 2010, 07:38 PM   #5
oneounceload

RCBS makes a primer pocket cleaner that works just fine - it is a short wire brush in a green handle - use it on my BR pistol brass and rifle brass, but I don't bother with pistol brass
Old June 5, 2010, 08:22 PM   #6
oldcspsarge

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ket_Uniformers

Sinclair makes the best primer pocket uniformers I have used. Quickly cleans and uniforms the primer pockets.
Old June 5, 2010, 09:32 PM   #7
farmerboy

I own the RCBS one but I still dont see a bit of difference one way or the other, so I dont.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:02 PM   #8
briandg

are you seriously saying that your primer pockets are so deeply encrusted with residue that you can't seat a new primer properly!?

That is something I never would have imagined. Good luck.
Old June 5, 2010, 11:43 PM   #9
ir3e971

I don't clean primer pockets either. I used to, but then followed others example and quit. I have not had any problems at all with primer seating despite not cleaning them.

And I don't miss doing it.

At all.

Nope.
Old June 5, 2010, 11:57 PM   #10
cheezhed

I do clean my primer pockets and what I use is a rifle case that I have flattened and then snipped to fit the pocket. If you need to you can file the cleaner to fit the pocket bottom as not all are flat. I have had problems with getting the primers to fit flush with the case when trying to get them to bottom out with a hand primer tool have set them off.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:43 AM   #11
steve4102

Quote:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ket_Uniformers

Sinclair makes the best primer pocket uniformers I have used. Quickly cleans and uniforms the primer pockets.
This. On all my rifle brass, don't do anything to pistol brass.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:20 AM   #12
hornady

As others have said I don’t think its necessary, However I do clean all my primer pockets, I use the RCBS wire brushes with a cheap wal-mart electric drill, its fast and works well.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:56 PM   #13
bkhann

Dremmel with 1/8" ss brush. Put 50 in a load tray and it takes all of 2 minutes. A quick shot of compressed air and clean primer pockets.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:19 PM   #14
jepp2

As most have stated, cleaning primer pockets for the purpose of seating new primers generally isn't necessary.

However I clean primer pockets to keep the lead residue out of my tumbling media. As soon as I get home from the range, I use a universal decapping die to knock out the old primers. I use a Lyman powered case trimmer, and the RCBS primer pocket brush fits the opposite shaft end. Just takes a second to clean the pockets. I vacuum up the primer pocket residue, and avoid adding that to my media. I tumble and resize. If sizing rifle brass, I tumble again to remove sizing lube.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:42 PM   #15
reloader28

I clean pistol pockets once in a while, but usually rifle pockets just because I can. I dont really do it for a difference in the accuracy, but I have had problems with the seating depth. So I clean them once in a while.

The easiest way if you have a RCBS primer pocket brush is to unscrew it from the handle and chuck it in a cordless drill. A short blast of the trigger and 1 second later you have a clean pocket.

Thats part of the reason I do it. I trim, then 2 Forster DBT's chamfer and debur, then the primer pocket in the drill. All lined up on the bench. Takes no extra time at all.
Old June 9, 2010, 09:25 AM   #16
demigod

A desktop Ultrasonic Cleaner gets primer pockets and the inside of cases spotless clean.

I don't always use the U/S cleaner, but clean brass really makes watching your powder charges easier.